Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my recent 2021 vehicle that there recommending to do oil changes every 16000 kms Wow was my first impression I am old school where we change oil every 5-6ooo kms. I am told the new recommdations is because of the new oil standards they use ( as per dealership ) well did a little bit of checking finally kinda got it from a individual that's in the know and works on these new vehicles daily says to stay with old school way. not waiting until 10 thou miles or 16000 kms just my 2 cents
if anyone know more the floor is yours

·
Registered
210 Posts
I would never go that long between changes. Most I would consider is 10,000kms. This is what I did when I had my '17 Rav4. I have two Chevys now and both have an oil life monitor. I change the oil when it gets down to 25% remaining and it usually works out to about 7000kms. I'm fine with that. Oil is cheap, engines are not!
If anything oil is more critical in engines today with so many being turbocharged and all of them having variable valve timing that use oil pressure to function. Just does not seem smart to take the chance and cheap out on oil changes.

Reactions: yxdguy

·
Registered
2021 Prime SE
95 Posts
If my VW that has direct injection and a turbo can go 10k MILES on oil, 16,000km is fine.
Engines and oils have both changed substantially from when 3k mi 5k km oil change intervals were standard.
Follow the book. Don't forget to check the level once a month or so, same with tire pressure.

Unless your engine has some design failure, changing the oil sooner than recommended is both a waste of money and resources. Use less oil, not more. Please.

·
Registered
409 Posts

See post #11 for my used oil analysis. The manufacturers suggested maintenance schedule is working just fine for me. My ‘13 CX-5 calls for 7500 mile intervals from the manufacturer. That car is now past 90k miles on the odometer and doesn’t consume oil, zero issues.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Ask this question you will get 1,000 different answers & options, do what is comfortably for you , just dont exceed 16,000 km, life will be fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts

After watching this video, I'm considering doing oil changes
every 5000mi instead of 10000mi. Mainly because I will likely keep
this car for a long time. I think the dealer uses synthetic oil,
but I'm going to ask if it matters 'Precision Auto' does
a change every 5K with regular oil or not, since it's
a lot cheaper. I'm not thrilled about having to do this,
but this guy has a decent argument. The dealer is a bit
of a drive so I'm looking for something closer in between
scheduled maintenance visits. I have a feeling the dealer
will say I'm an idiot in polite terms.

·
Registered
2021 Prime SE
95 Posts

After watching this video, I'm considering doing oil changes
every 5000mi instead of 10000mi. Mainly because I will likely keep
this car for a long time. I think the dealer uses synthetic oil,
but I'm going to ask if it matters 'Precision Auto' does
a change every 5K with regular oil or not, since it's
a lot cheaper. I'm not thrilled about having to do this,
but this guy has a decent argument. The dealer is a bit
of a drive so I'm looking for something closer in between
scheduled maintenance visits. I have a feeling the dealer
will say I'm an idiot in polite terms.
I can't sit through that, but the answer is to follow the owners manual and check your oil in-between changes to see if you leak or burn any. If you notice a problem, address it then.

·
Registered
2021 Limited Hybrid
142 Posts
When I bought my recent 2021 vehicle that there recommending to do oil changes every 16000 kms Wow was my first impression I am old school where we change oil every 5-6ooo kms. I am told the new recommdations is because of the new oil standards they use ( as per dealership ) well did a little bit of checking finally kinda got it from a individual that's in the know and works on these new vehicles daily says to stay with old school way. not waiting until 10 thou miles or 16000 kms just my 2 cents
Oil and filter change every 5000 miles or 6 months, if you want your engine to last. 1st break in change at 1000 miles

·
Registered
2021 Limited Hybrid
142 Posts
I'm still waiting for someone to show the the damage done to an engine that has had it's oil changed at MANUFACTURERS RECOMMENDATIONS !

Any takers?
The manufacturer recommends 5000 miles or 6 months under "severe" driving conditions, the way most people drive, they are in the severe mode.
From the manual, Severe conditions

Driving on dirt roads or dusty roads:

Driving while towing, using a car-top
carrier, or heavy vehicle loading

Repeated trips of less than five miles in
temperatures below 32°F /

Extensive idling and/or low speed driving
for a long distance such as police, taxi
or door-to-door delivery use.

As the car experts say, why take the chance, change the oil it is cheap.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
The manufacturer recommends 5000 miles or 6 months under "severe" driving conditions, the way most people drive, they are in the severe mode.
From the manual, Severe conditions

Driving on dirt roads or dusty roads:

Driving while towing, using a car-top
carrier, or heavy vehicle loading

Repeated trips of less than five miles in
temperatures below 32°F /

Extensive idling and/or low speed driving
for a long distance such as police, taxi
or door-to-door delivery use.

As the car experts say, why take the chance, change the oil it is cheap.
So you think everyday driving is SEVERE CONDITIONS?

I ask this question all the time but never get an answer. Maybe you can answer it.

Why would TOYOTA tell you to do something that would hurt their engines? They don't pay for the oil changes so why wouldn't they error on the safe side?

Lastly where are all those damaged engines from people who change at recommend times?

I'm sure you know the average person doesn't read forums and knows very little about cars.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I really don’t get this argument that is played out again and again across countless forums. Should I change my oil more frequently than what the manufacturer recommends? No, follow the manual. But the manual says severe service requires more frequent changes. Does your driving meet severe service? Again, follow the manual. Don’t trust the manual? Test your oil and be your own engineer.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 hybrid XLE, Magnetic Grey metallic, cold weather package.
611 Posts
It happens when people do not judge their driving conditions accordingly.
I personally would not assume that my driving intown on short runs constitutes harsh driving and requires more often oil change.
Or that if my wife car barely gets 3k in a year it still needs 2 oil change in a year.

Now if we use a conventional oil that would be a given, but sintetic does not detirioate in the same way. A synthetic oil can survive 12 month just sitting in the pan whith only 3 or 4 short runs a week.

My wife's Saturn lasted 11 years and 65k total, that average of 6.5k a year, and was still in very very good condition when we sold it and updated to Corolla.
Corolla is now 6yo and in perfect health so far. No oil consumption I can see.
And it is driven even less. 20k in 6 years.

Now my Forester lasted 10 year and 170k with no oil consumption and oil change every 7k. But my commute almost always was everyday 60 to 80 miles at highway speeds.

·
Registered
2021 Limited Hybrid
142 Posts
So you think everyday driving is SEVERE CONDITIONS?

I ask this question all the time but never get an answer. Maybe you can answer it.

Why would TOYOTA tell you to do something that would hurt their engines? They don't pay for the oil changes so why wouldn't they error on the safe side?

Lastly where are all those damaged engines from people who change at recommend times?

I'm sure you know the average person doesn't read forums and knows very little about cars.
Toyota wants to sell you a new car, that is why.
Those damaged engines are all over blowing out smoke from worn out piston rings.
I put 300,000 trouble free miles on my 2006 Rav4, ZERO engine problems and never used a drop of oil, and changed the oil religously every 3000 miles, now with synthetic I go 5000, even the A/C never had to be touched.

This expert will set you straight
1 minute in
10 minutes in

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Toyota wants to sell you a new car, that is why.
Those damaged engines are all over blowing out smoke from worn out piston rings.
I put 300,000 trouble free miles on my 2006 Rav4, ZERO engine problems and never used a drop of oil, and changed the oil religously every 3000 miles, now with synthetic I go 5000, even the A/C never had to be touched.

This expert will set you straight
1 minute in
10 minutes in
That's not really an answer is it.

I know people who have driven cars well over 200k and never did any special to them. It doesn't prove anything.

All I ask is for One RELIABLE STUDY that shows what you say. You would think after 20 years someone would have been able to produce it. Yet here we are still waiting.

You think Toyota is lying to you. You think the oil companies ( who would make more money if you change more often) are also lying to you.

The people who have had their oil tested by labs are also lying but your local MECHANIC knows better.

It's your money do what you want. Why not change it at 3k . Wouldnt that make it last another 50k

·
Registered
409 Posts
Trust in YouTube. Not in official documentation, used oil analysis, or brand reputation. Got it.

Sorry OP. That’s about all you’re likely to get from this thread.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I disagree. People shouldn't be misled and waste money on something that isn't proven.

Oil is like one of the easiest thing to test. They know what they put in it and they can tell how much it's broken down .

The thing that always get me is why they think the car manufacturers want to ruin their engines ? Where's the Benifit?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Funny thing about DBs personal experience he shared. 5k mile oil changes is what is prescribed in where? You guessed it, the 2006 RAV4 owners manual.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts