Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
I disagree. People shouldn't be misled and waste money on something that isn't proven.

Oil is like one of the easiest thing to test. They know what they put in it and they can tell how much it's broken down .

The thing that always get me is why they think the car manufacturers want to ruin their engines ? Where's the Benifit?
I don't think people are being misled. People can do what they want. There all grown up.

Miles is a very crappy way to measure oil usage. That's why commercial vehicles have hour meters. Those engines earn money. People can't wait for them to fail.

10,000 miles of highway miles is very different than 10,000 miles of stop and go. 10 of 2 mile trips per week is very different than one trip of 20 miles.

Manufacturers also seal transmissions and say that the ATF is "lifetime". Their definition of lifetime. Everyone who ever cracked an Auto trans open knows better.

There will never be a "official" study because no one with the money to conduct one has any interest to make engines last forever. My unofficial study is my Nissan in the driveway with over 370,000 - owned since new by me.

Most people will never put more than 150,000 miles on their car anyway, so this entire debate is mostly academic. Gives people something to argue about.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I don't think people are being misled. People can do what they want. There all grown up.

Miles is a very crappy way to measure oil usage. That's why commercial vehicles have hour meters. Those engines earn money. People can't wait for them to fail.

10,000 miles of highway miles is very different than 10,000 miles of stop and go. 10 of 2 mile trips per week is very different than one trip of 20 miles.

Manufacturers also seal transmissions and say that the ATF is "lifetime". Their definition of lifetime. Everyone who ever cracked an Auto trans open knows better.

There will never be a "official" study because no one with the money to conduct one has any interest to make engines last forever. My unofficial study is my Nissan in the driveway with over 370,000 - owned since new by me.

Most people will never put more than 150,000 miles on their car anyway, so this entire debate is mostly academic. Gives people something to argue about.
Sure it's it's misleading. You're talking extremes. We've had people here who has done oil analysis after 10k and we're fine. The fact that Toyota says you can go 10k means they tested it for even more mileage.

So you don't believe in Oil analysis?

Are far as the transmission fluid goes. I don't recall hearing about any problems with them failing. They've been around for over 10 years now. I would like if it was a major problem it would've shown up by now.

I would be happy to read any information you have on it.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Sure it's it's misleading. You're talking extremes. We've had people here who has done oil analysis after 10k and we're fine. The fact that Toyota says you can go 10k means they tested it for even more mileage.

So you don't believe in Oil analysis?

Are far as the transmission fluid goes. I don't recall hearing about any problems with them failing. They've been around for over 10 years now. I would like if it was a major problem it would've shown up by now.

I would be happy to read any information you have on it.
Did you even read my post? Extremes? I am talking mechanical facts. I unlike you - don't tell anyone to do anything. You on the other hand seem to have a personal vendetta against anyone that changes their oil early. Chill out. Why do you care when anyone else changes their oil?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Did you even read my post? Extremes? I am talking mechanical facts. I unlike you - don't tell anyone to do anything. You on the other hand seem to have a personal vendetta against anyone that changes their oil early. Chill out. Why do you care when anyone else changes their oil?
What did I say that was wrong?

You said they weren't misled?

Extremes? You said

"10,000 miles of highway miles is very different than 10,000 miles of stop and go. "

What would you call them?

"Why do you care when anyone else changes their oil?"

If you read my posts I said people can do whatever they want. Sorry if you think people backing up what they say with facts is a Problem with you.

Have a great day.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I talked with the mechanics that have been working on my cars over the past couple of decades, and they told me that "they've seen some ugly things" with 10,000 mile intervals. I'm truly not comfortable with intervals that long, which is why I asked them in the first place. I'm plenty comfortable with 5,000 mile intervals, which I've been doing ever since the manufacturers started recommending anything over 5,000 mile intervals. I'm definitely in the "it's the cheapest insurance you can buy" club.

·
Registered
931 Posts
What did I say that was wrong?

You said they weren't misled?

Extremes? You said

"10,000 miles of highway miles is very different than 10,000 miles of stop and go. "

What would you call them?

"Why do you care when anyone else changes their oil?"

If you read my posts I said people can do whatever they want. Sorry if you think people backing up what they say with facts is a Problem with you.

Have a great day.
Anyone demanding a "white paper" on a casual automotive forum is simply looking for a fight. Scientific white papers have multiple authors, reproducible experimental results, and peer review. If they even exist, consumer product white papers are typically marketing garbage written by a single "independent experts" whose entire income comes from the very same companies producing the technologies they are supposedly writing white papers about.

If you want to write a white paper to prove me wrong, feel free.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Anyone demanding a "white paper" on a casual automotive forum is simply looking for a fight. Scientific white papers have multiple authors, reproducible experimental results, and peer review. If they even exist, consumer product white papers are typically marketing garbage written by a single "independent experts" whose entire income comes from the very same companies producing the technologies they are supposedly writing white papers about.

If you want to write a white paper to prove me wrong, feel free.
Ok. I guess a forum or maybe YouTube is where you get all your info from. That's fine . I personally like to have a little more proof. ESPECIALLY WHEN ITS AVAILABLE. Why would you believe the people who designed the engines or the companies that make the oil that have the best testing equipment in the world. They also have Billions of dollars invested.

But hey that's just me.

Have a great day

·
Registered
2021 Sienna LE AWD "Mr. Sparkolz"
22 Posts
I do not have a RAV4, but I used to have a 2012 Prius and now I have a 2021 Sienna. Both recommended oil change at 10K miles intervals, which is 16,000 km. That said, I don't know if the 10K mile rule applies to all Toyotas or to hybrids only

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I do not have a RAV4, but I used to have a 2012 Prius and now I have a 2021 Sienna. Both recommended oil change at 10K miles intervals, which is 16,000 km. That said, I don't know if the 10K mile rule applies to all Toyotas or to hybrids only

It will be in the manual for anyone to check.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna LE AWD "Mr. Sparkolz"
22 Posts
It will be in the manual for anyone to check.
That is correct, but the premise of the original question ("New oil change intervals OK?") is that the owner has already read the manual, saw that the 16,000 km interval is recommended, and now asks the others what their opinion is.

·
Registered
397 Posts
That is correct, but the premise of the original question ("New oil change intervals OK?") is that the owner has already read the manual, saw that the 16,000 km interval is recommended, and now asks the others what their opinion is.
No way to know for sure without testing your oil. Folks need to accept the opinion of the engineering team that produced their vehicle, do some research themselves with a UOA (I did this to confirm that manual was ok for my driving conditions), or take the opinion those on a forum who just do things the way they feel like or have always done it.

Follow the manual or go nuts changing things however frequently you feel is fit. Changing something more often than needed like oil makes you more comfortable? It’s your time and money, go for it. Swap out your tires when half the tread is present, you’ll never have a problem there either! :D

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
No way to know for sure without testing your oil. Folks need to accept the opinion of the engineering team that produced their vehicle, do some research themselves with a UOA (I did this to confirm that manual was ok for my driving conditions), or take the opinion those on a forum who just do things the way they feel like or have always done it.

Follow the manual or go nuts changing things however frequently you feel is fit. Changing something more often than needed like oil makes you more comfortable? It’s your time and money, go for it. Swap out your tires when half the tread is present, you’ll never have a problem there either! :D
Unfortunately some people don't believe the tests either.

Funny thing is most people wait LONGER for just about everything else that the owners manual says to change!

Is everyone changing they brake fluid in half the amount of time that it says to?

Or is it only oil that Toyota and the oil companies don't know about.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
There are so many ruined engines out there due to following Toyota's recommended oil change intervals. Everyone knows that it's cheap insurance to change the oil every 3,000 kms. And only use Mobil 1.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
At least read the report

21 - 35 of 35 Posts