Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
greetings from Chicago.

just drove home Friday a 2016 Rav4 Hybrid Limited w Technology Package...
it has 25800 miles... likely a rental from AVIS.
interior was immaculate, and the outside, just a slight loose rear bumper trim that was bumped / scraped.

anyone w pointers on what I should watch out for, i.e....

-. will the regenerative motors have extra wear?
are there serviceable parts, needing to be changed, like regular break pads / rotors?

-. NmH batteries... on laptops and phones, there are cycle counters... does that apply to hybrid batteries?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Just drive it. Ask those questions again after 100K miles. The manual details the very limited maintenance requirements. Tires and *maybe* brakes, but some folks get 100K plus from brakes on the hybrids.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Technically, hybrids with regenerative brakes should require less frequent brake replacement. However, as it was a rental, it would depend how the vehicle was treated. Hard braking engages the disc brakes, light braking engages only the regenerative brakes. You can see which is which on the energy monitor on your cluster. When the needle is at the bottom when braking, it's the friction brakes doing the work. When the needle is on charge, that is when regen is feeding the battery the most and slowing the vehicle.

Like any vehicle, follow your maintenance schedule and the car will be good to you for years to come. The R4H doesn't have any more issues than the gas only RAV. Drive it and enjoy....also, welcome to the forum and drop in often!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hello all,
greetings from Chicago.

just drove home Friday a 2016 Rav4 Hybrid Limited w Technology Package...
it has 25800 miles... likely a rental from AVIS.
interior was immaculate, and the outside, just a slight loose rear bumper trim that was bumped / scraped.

anyone w pointers on what I should watch out for, i.e....

-. will the regenerative motors have extra wear?
are there serviceable parts, needing to be changed, like regular break pads / rotors?

-. NmH batteries... on laptops and phones, there are cycle counters... does that apply to hybrid batteries?
Or possibly an extreme commuter like myself. I'm over 36,000 miles already and will definitely be endurance testing this hybrid.:laugh

1). I have only changed the oil and did the necessary maintenance so far and all is well. The brake pads do not have much wear on them at all. At this rate I think I will be able to get to 100,000 before changing the pads.

2). Dont worry about the hybrid batteries. This hybrid system is rock solid. They use Toyota Hybrids for taxi's in Chicago so you know they are dependable:smile

Concerns:

If you drive a lot of highway, do yourself a favor and get a deflector. That storm trooper front face on the hybrid is prone to rock chips.

Make sure you check to make sure to get the rear door computer chip has been replaced there was a service bulletin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts