Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello....I am the proud owner of a "new to me" 2002 RAV4. I have been driving my RAV4 for about 4 weeks now and I am still delighted and overwhelmed by this vehicle. I did a lot of internet research and I have followed this forum for many weeks before making my decision to go with the RAV4.

While not brand new she is certainly "new-to-me". This is a 2002 model with 38K miles, a 2.0L engine, Auto Trans. and Spectra Blue Mica. My car has the solid color door panels and bumpers. When I purchased the car it already had tinted windows, roof rack, hard cover spare, fog lights, heated mirrors, A/C, keyless remote and wireless starting. One other accessory I noted having just a few days ago was an engine heater (I believe) because I noticed a three prong plug peeking out from behind the grille.

My Carfax report says that I am the third owner and that this particular RAV4 started its life in British Columbia (?), but now resides in Upstate New York. So I know this particular model must have some kind of Canadian features to it. From what I have read from you forum members my RAV4 seems to be more accessorized than a basic RAV4 but is not an L Model.

I find that this RAV4 is a blast to drive in all weather conditions. It drives more like a sports car than an SUV. It is small and compact and I love how it deals with tight parking spaces.

My only complaint about the RAV4 so far is an annoying rattle I get from the left side rail of the roof rack. I can simulate the rattle but I cannot figure out how to secure the side rail to eliminate the rattle. I guess I can just get use to it.

I've got quite a few questions about this car, but I'll save them for later and for more appropriate threads.

In the meantime I am going to enjoy this car and this forum. I find this forum to be of particularly good character and with personable members. There is a wealth of information here and enthusiasm about the car, so I know I am going to feel right at home.

ajlepel

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
ajlepel said:
There is a wealth of information here and enthusiasm about the car, so I know I am going to feel right at home.
You are right about that :D! Welcome to the forums ajlepel!

I'm guessing that if your baby is not a L, since it comes from Canada, i think it's the Chilli edition. Good purchase and you won't regret it. Yes, it might have it's few defects, but overall it's a great car. Enjoy the forums! :D

·
Registered
771 Posts
Hey AJ the rattle on top you are talking about may just be the the cross bars not being tightened. I had the same problem and couldn't figure it out untill one day I was putting something on top and noticed the cross bar moved.

There is just a knob on each side of the bar (left/right) to loosen them so they can slide back and forth. If one side is loose it will rattle or vibrate at high-speed like mine and bug the heck out of you. Hard to pin point but solved the problem for me. Just twisted it tight with my fingers and "voila" the noise is gone.

If your rack is loose, the covers on the front and back of your rack just pop off and you can tighten the bolts down on the roof. Probably not that extreme though.

Good luck with your Rav and buy-the-way yours is a RAV with package "C" trim like mine....one step from the leather one. Thats how they classified them here in the great white north.

Welcome to the forums! Get some pics in your ALBUM as soon as you can so we can see your rig. Later. M. :wink:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Marcutio for the classification of my RAV4. I knew that there was something unique about it, even though it was not an L edition or a Chili edition.

At first glance I did not want this particular model. I had hoped for a RAV4 with the contrasting side panels and not the solid color ones. Now that I've had the car a couple of months I truely have grown quite fond it. I particularly like the Spectra Blue color. I realize now how unique it is in my area. I just don't see many of them around. In fact it is sort of interesting how I do not see many RAV4's in the Upstate New York area. It seems like the Jeep Liberty's have the edge on popularity.

This winter we seem to be without snow so I'm not getting a lot of opportunity to drive in snow. I do get a sense of security in driving in wet conditions and I know that this RAV4 is going to be outstanding in snow.

One more thing I recently learned and that is that I have a remote starter. The dealer told me my RAV4 did not have it. I found however a warning sticker posted to the inside of the drivers door post warning mechanics to be aware that it existed. When I purchased the vehicle I did not get the transmitter for the remote starter. Through some Internet searching I found the manufacturer and gave them a call. They told me I could purchase a replacement transmitter for $50 US and they would tell me how to program it. I figured what I never had before I wouldn't miss. But then my son-in-law said that it cost him $200+ to install one on his car, so for another $50 it would be worth it to me to purchase the transmitter and enhance the cars value. So as soon as $50 crosses my palm I'll spring for the transmitter.

All in all I feel this is the best vehicle I have ever owned. It is fun to drive and it does everything I want it to. I'm taking my first long drive with it this weekend and I'm looking forward to the experience. I'm hoping it snows like a son-of-a-gun and I get to crusie effortlessly through it.

I did just pass the 40K mile mark and just like I read here on the forum the Service Engine Light has appeared. I know that I'm covered under warranty for the emissions so I'll be taking her in to have the computer updated like I read they do here on the forum.

Ah yes....I love my RAV4.

alepel

·
Registered
654 Posts
Welcome to the group, ajlepel. Sounds like you're really enjoying your new RAV. Ahhhh...I share your sentiments!

I have to admit that I'm not sure what the benefits of a remote starter are. I have a picture in my head of James Bond, dashing out of a building...ready to explode, remote starting his Aston Martin, or in your case the RAV, and diving through the driver side window and streaking off just as the building explodes! Of maybe I just watch too many movies.

Welcome!

p.s. Are you a Bills and/or Sabres fan?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually I wish I had a remote starter in my RAV. Though I am not quite James Bond, maybe a little closer in relation to Dilbert. :lol:

It gets a little cold here in MN and I would like to have that option of pressing a little button and going to a warm car with the windshields defrosted instead of sitting in a ice block for 15 mins while it warms up. 8)

While were on the topic of remote starters, what one would the forum suggest for a 1998 RAV and has anyone installed one in that model?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts