Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this isn't the place for introductions, but happy that I found this forum. I just traded my 2011 4Runner in for a 1998 Rav4 (upgrade!). I wanted something smaller and less expensive.
It was previously owned by one party. It doesn't look like they had any maintenance done at Toyota as neither the car fax or the Toyota owners site lists any maintenance.
It is a black 4 door with 276,000 miles. It runs well and I am taking it on a somewhat long trip tomorrow to the BWCA (BWCA).

On my to do list is:
- change the diff, transfer case, and transmission fluid.
- It appears to leak power steering fluid so maybe address that or just keep adding.
-The antennae is stuck in the down position.
- I would like to find a factory roof rack.

Anyway thank you and look forward to reading more.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
Welcome! Good luck with your 1998 RAV with 276,000 miles - I don't believe that I would have gotten rid of an '11 and bought a '98 with a questionable service history and at least some known issues as the replacement. Repairs for those issues and unknown ones may end up being as or more expensive than it would have been to keep the 4Runner unless the 4Runner needed some pricey repairs . . .

·
Registered
412 Posts
Welcome! Good luck with your 1998 RAV with 276,000 miles - I don't believe that I would have gotten rid of an '11 and bought a '98 with a questionable service history and at least some known issues as the replacement. Repairs for those issues and unknown ones may end up being as or more expensive than it would have been to keep the 4Runner unless the 4Runner needed some pricey repairs . . .

True. It is all about luck on repairs also and how the vehicle was maintained before.

Life brings you new challenges at every corner.
Who knows what OP is going through.
I know I have had to do that a few times in my life.

Sometimes you just don't want that much money tied up and you feel that you could be happy with something cheaper.

In any case, great vehicle... WELCOME to the OP... Pictures please !!!!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
It doesn't look like they had any maintenance done at Toyota as neither the car fax or the Toyota owners site lists any maintenance.

On my to do list is:
- change the diff, transfer case, and transmission fluid.
- It appears to leak power steering fluid so maybe address that or just keep adding.
-The antennae is stuck in the down position.
- I would like to find a factory roof rack.
The roof racks might be found on eBay. Don't be too scared if they don't come with the key(s) -- with work you can find the keys here or elsewhere. The factory racks are interesting to install -- make sure you get the four rubber pads and the four black metal mounting hooks with the two racks.

It's possible the prior owner was a DIY'er, or just went to private garages.

I'd add to my list the brakes and brake fluid, the spark plugs and spark plug wires, the upstream oxygen sensor, and adding an additional ground wire to the engine. The odds are high that the timing belt and water pump (do at the same time) are due or overdue. And don't forget the oil, its filter, the air filter, and install a cabin air filter. When possible, do the underhood fuel filter too -- it's a pain to get to, and has a "banjo" fitting that's interesting. Be safe!

But with luck you bought a cherry version of a good vehicle! :D

·
Registered
412 Posts
The roof racks might be found on eBay. Don't be too scared if they don't come with the key(s) -- with work you can find the keys here or elsewhere. The factory racks are interesting to install -- make sure you get the four rubber pads and the four black metal mounting hooks with the two racks.

It's possible the prior owner was a DIY'er, or just went to private garages.

I'd add to my list the brakes and brake fluid, the spark plugs and spark plug wires, the upstream oxygen sensor, and adding an additional ground wire to the engine. The odds are high that the timing belt and water pump (do at the same time) are due or overdue. And don't forget the oil, its filter, the air filter, and install a cabin air filter. When possible, do the underhood fuel filter too -- it's a pain to get to, and has a "banjo" fitting that's interesting. Be safe!

But with luck you bought a cherry version of a good vehicle! :D

I have not been able to find a cabin filter for my 1998 RAV in the past 2 years. LOL !

·
Registered
412 Posts
Rockauto.com, $6 plus S&H for my 2000 (PRONTO PC8188).

May 2000s had it? What I am saying is that 98s didn't seem to have come with them. Hmmm.. will investigate further. Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
807 Posts
It is behind the glove box (you can see it with the glove box open), but is not replaceable. Whenever I get my A/C system checked (usually once a year), the technician sprays a foam like anti-microbial and anti-mold substance on it and inside the vents.

EDIT: I remembered an old member here from Russia who "hacked" the cabin filter container and made it serviceable. Not for me, but maybe someone could find it useful:
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/83-4-1-general/75298-cabin-filter.html
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/members/albums/34596-miha2e/miha2e-2354.html (11th and 12th picture)

EDIT: I fixed the pictures in the cabin filter thread.-Admin.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I might regret selling the 2011 4Runner. It was in great condition and still covered under Toyota Certified warranty. I got a very good trade in price and no longer have a car payment now. Also I live 1.5 miles from work and can ride my bicycle, motorcycle, walk or take a bus so being without a car for a few days every year won't be an issue (as long as the job situation changes).

So far I have been very impressed with the build quality of this Rav4. The engine purrs and it doesn't appear to leak any fluids (except power steering).

Is it normal for there to be a little drive train whine when you get up around 40mph? It appears the AWD is constantly engaged (different from the newer CRVs that are predominantly FWD) right? It doesn't sound bad but I think the noise is just the drive shaft spinning to bring power to the rear wheels.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yeah I might regret selling the 2011 4Runner. It was in great condition and still covered under Toyota Certified warranty. I got a very good trade in price and no longer have a car payment now. Also I live 1.5 miles from work and can ride my bicycle, motorcycle, walk or take a bus so being without a car for a few days every year won't be an issue (as long as the job situation changes).

So far I have been very impressed with the build quality of this Rav4. The engine purrs and it doesn't appear to leak any fluids (except power steering).

Is it normal for there to be a little drive train whine when you get up around 40mph? It appears the AWD is constantly engaged (different from the newer CRVs that are predominantly FWD) right? It doesn't sound bad but I think the noise is just the drive shaft spinning to bring power to the rear wheels.

You look more unique on the road with this RAV4 than you did with the 4Runner.
That is at least how I feel. :D

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Just pulled my glove box and didn't see anything. So either I was mistaken (remembering two other vehicles where I did add filters), or it's really buried in there and thus not easily replaceable on my 2000. Too bad; an anti-pollen filter would be great this time of year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts