Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a 78 year old retired property and casualty insurance adjuster, but not an automobile mechanic. Married and residing in Southeast Tennessee, USA.

Have recently sold my long-term 2000 Dodge Dakota quad-cab which I purchased new off the showroom floor in year 2000. I maintained this truck meticulously over the past 17 years with rare problems with no engine or other drive-train problems. It was just the right time in my life to part with this medium sized truck due to moving into new home of limited garage space.

The 2008 RAV4 was offered by an owner party after putting 138000 miles on it, and in need of some cosmetic repairs and engine maintenance to upgrade the condition to the point I wouldn't be afraid to take a trip as far as the West Coast area. My RAV4 is the Sport Model with a 4 cylinder engine and automatic transmission. It has some road damage to the 17" wheels from road gravel chipping the finish. I wish to purchase new aftermarket wheels to freshen up its appearance. I plan to research these forums for tips on how to go about the upgrades; and to learn from other owners as to what pitfalls to be watchful of.

We also own a 2014 Toyota Avalon Touring Edition the is garage kept and used less often now that we have the RAV4 for daily driving locally to complete our tasks that face us Seniors in retirement. The RAV4 is much easier for parking, etc. due to its shorter wheel-base and engine economy. Thus, I have the need to upgrade for these reasons.

I look forward to meeting other like-minded car owners on these forums.

Attachments

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,718 Posts
Welcome to RAV4World! Hey, that looks like John Goodman in the picture, only better looking! :)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Congrats OlMan - I'm in my early 60's...hope I look that good, when I turn 78.
- did you get a 4 cyl. or v6 ?
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/271713-ok-so-no-2006-2008-4-bangers-now-what.html
2006-08 can be oil burners / some fixed under Toyota warranty.

Wife and I went to TN, around 1990 vacation....a funny:
- got lost on a mountain road, and didn't know how to get back to civilization
- saw two teenagers, on Honda 3 wheeler ATV's and asked for directions
- "asking where does this road go to"?
- kids replied "no where, this is Big Hill"
- so we drove around for another hour, and came back full circle / the kids were right

I prefer Toyota rims vs aftermarket / to ensure quality in alloy casting & manufacturing.
- 2013 Highlander OEM 17x7.5" rims, new 7-spoke takeoffs with 800 Km:
- these rims will be my summer wheels with the Firestone Le2 rubber

·
Super Moderator
11,105 Posts
As Beaumont67 pointed out in the link provided (underlined above) MAKE SURE your 2.4l engine doesn't use copious amounts of oil before you head out cross country.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
OlManOfTheMtn said:
...The 2008 RAV4 was offered by an owner party after putting 138000 miles on it... My RAV4 is the Sport Model with a 4 cylinder engine... .

You should immediately find out the first date your car was put in service, your 2008 might still be covered. Toyota is on the final stage of providing repairs for the possible oil burning problem. You are covered until 150,000 miles or 10 years from date in service.

If you are still eligible, any Toyota dealer will begin a test for the rate of burn and rebuild your engine if you qualify.

In the meantime, check the dipstick at every fuel stop. For more info, do a search for "oil burner" and you'll find several stories like this:
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/191889-another-oil-consumption-post.html

Good luck, hope it turns out well for you. Welcome to the forum!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts