Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon!

I'm glad I've joined this interesting website to learn more about my new (to me) vehicle. I'll level with you all, I'm a college student who purchased this vehicle because I've only driven Toyota's (1999 Camry; (totaled, not my fault.) 1996 Tacoma (still have, 245k miles strong.)) so I figured this would be a great purchase especially for the price.

The vehicle has 117,000 miles, no rust and it drives great. NADA has it at around 6,000 or so and I purchased for 3500. I have a few concerns I'd love to get some input on.

The ECM. The dreaded ECM. I'm going to assume it hasn't been worked on, as the small dealer I purchased it from hadn't had a clue. Right now, it doesn't seem to have an issue. Transmission is great. I looked at service records, which I bought in hopes to see if something had been done, and nothing came up. So are there any suggestions as to what I should do? Should I do preventative maintenence on it? I'm a college student as a I said, and I'd love for this to last for 4 years at least.

Are there any other common issues I should be aware of? I'm a car savvy guy I'd like to think, and I want to make this vehicle last so I want to take care of it.

Also, any idea where I can buy a new rear wiper arm? For whatever reason, the previous owner had removed it. I haven't found it easily for purchase.

Lastly, today, I had the check engine light come on again. It was on late last week and I replaced the fuel cap first, cleared the codes and they just came back after about 150 miles. Here they are: PO440 (EVAP Emission Control System Malfunction) PO441 (Emision Control System Purge Flow Fault) & PO446 (EVAP Emission control system vent circuit malfunction.) What should I look into next? Is it something I should bring to the shop for since it can become complicated???

Thanks to the site builders for this awesome tool, looking forward to conversing with many of you. I read over the rules and hopefully this doesn't break any. Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Also, any idea where I can buy a new rear wiper arm? For whatever reason, the previous owner had removed it. I haven't found it easily for purchase.

Lastly, today, I had the check engine light come on again. It was on late last week and I replaced the fuel cap first, cleared the codes and they just came back after about 150 miles. Here they are: PO440 (EVAP Emission Control System Malfunction) PO441 (Emision Control System Purge Flow Fault) & PO446 (EVAP Emission control system vent circuit malfunction.) What should I look into next? Is it something I should bring to the shop for since it can become complicated???
I would check a junk yard service for the rear wiper arm. I looked on Ebay and you can find it there and the wiper-motor assembly too.

What is the status of your check engine light? Did you bring your Rav to a shop?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds good find for a neat 2002, got some pics? Report back here when you return back from the shop.

Here she is. She's had a few issues which has surprised me. Replaced both rear springs and sway bar links.

Turns out the light was for the Charcoal Canister. The valve on a piece attached to it gets stuck open sometimes. I've yet to fix but I will have to before the next emissions test.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Resurrecting old thread here - is the valve attached to the charcoal canister separately replaceable from the whole canister on a 2002 RAV4? Part number? Did this fix your issue? I have exact same symptoms/codes. Thanks very much!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Found out my own answer today - the valve/solenoid attached to the vapor canister is NOT sold separately, even though it can be removed separately. I removed mine and it was definitely stuck shut (no clicking open/shut when I applied and removed 12 volts to it). I banged it around a bit and actually got it to work again (unsure of course if it will last but seemed to work quite healthy after some firm but controlled banging). Waiting to see if clears my P0440, P0441 and P0446 issue. Wish there was a quicker way to know it was fixed or not. Seems to be 100-150 miles or so before it checks EVAP. Thanks anyhow...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Found out my own answer today - the valve/solenoid attached to the vapor canister is NOT sold separately, even though it can be removed separately. I removed mine and it was definitely stuck shut (no clicking open/shut when I applied and removed 12 volts to it). I banged it around a bit and actually got it to work again (unsure of course if it will last but seemed to work quite healthy after some firm but controlled banging). Waiting to see if clears my P0440, P0441 and P0446 issue. Wish there was a quicker way to know it was fixed or not. Seems to be 100-150 miles or so before it checks EVAP. Thanks anyhow...

It seems like on EU models the charcoal canister is in the engine apartment, like on mine 2002. On US models its under the car.
The valve is sold seperately for your model. For example on RockAuto:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toyota,2002,rav4,2.0l+l4,1388910,exhaust+&+emission,vapor+canister+purge+valve+/+solenoid,4936

On my car, the partnumber is 2571962040. It has no electrical connections.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks very much for your reply - correct, my 2002 US spec RAV4 4WD has the vapor canister under the car. That solenoid you link to is in the engine compartment. I can see the same component in the pic you attached, if you follow the longer hose you've circled up to the left, the other end is attached to the solenoid you gave a link for. I would think having the vapor canister in the engine compartment would make it easier to work with. My canister has another solenoid attached to it's frame, and I found that one was not functioning. I have yet to have enough drive cycles to determine if I'm in the clear, but that component was clearly not working (was stuck shut), where the solenoid in the engine bay was working. My local Toyota dealer parts dept informed me the solenoid attached to the frame of the vapor canister is not sold separately, but one much purchase the entire canister. Seeing as the solenoid is removable, that seems kinda crazy they don't sell it as a separate piece.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,
I'm getting into this thread late - March of 2019. I have a 2002 RAV4 2WD US-spec gas with 170K miles. I'm also getting the PO446 code, but no other typical EVAP codes. Interestingly, my gas gauge stopped working some time ago - starting acting up when a fillup did not put the needle to full or above, and over time it wouldn't show a half tank, and eventually the gauge doesn't move (stuck at empty) with the low fuel light on. I've read that a bad fuel level gauge can throw a PO446. The fuel level gauge appears to be in it's own gas tank entry port, off on the side of the tank. Wondering if any of you have had this combination of errors and how you fixed it. Is the fuel gauge easy to change - or easier than changing the pump and strainer?? Presume I'll have to drop the tank to find out, which i hate to do in my driveway. Or could this simply be a bad ground or electrical connection. I haven't replaced anything (yet), not even the gas cap, but I did check the condition of the hoses and connectors in the purge valve under the hood and the hoses going under the car. Have not pulled the canister down or checked any of the valves. Any clues anyone??
thanks - love the site.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Hi All,
I'm getting into this thread late - March of 2019. I have a 2002 RAV4 2WD US-spec gas with 170K miles. I'm also getting the PO446 code, but no other typical EVAP codes. Interestingly, my gas gauge stopped working some time ago - starting acting up when a fillup did not put the needle to full or above, and over time it wouldn't show a half tank, and eventually the gauge doesn't move (stuck at empty) with the low fuel light on. I've read that a bad fuel level gauge can throw a PO446. The fuel level gauge appears to be in it's own gas tank entry port, off on the side of the tank. Wondering if any of you have had this combination of errors and how you fixed it. Is the fuel gauge easy to change - or easier than changing the pump and strainer?? Presume I'll have to drop the tank to find out, which i hate to do in my driveway. Or could this simply be a bad ground or electrical connection. I haven't replaced anything (yet), not even the gas cap, but I did check the condition of the hoses and connectors in the purge valve under the hood and the hoses going under the car. Have not pulled the canister down or checked any of the valves. Any clues anyone??
thanks - love the site.

I would get this fix quickly since it is dangerous running out of gas and having no way to know if you are close to empty. One thing is the fuel filler neck has a tendency to rust because of the poor design. The fuel pump should be easy to change because it is under the passenger seat which has a cover you remove. The first thing to check is that fuel filler neck because if it is rusted out the fuel pressure will be effected.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would get this fix quickly since it is dangerous running out of gas and having no way to know if you are close to empty. One thing is the fuel filler neck has a tendency to rust because of the poor design. The fuel pump should be easy to change because it is under the passenger seat which has a cover you remove. The first thing to check is that fuel filler neck because if it is rusted out the fuel pressure will be effected.

Fuel Filler Neck Replacement '01 - '05 RAV4 - YouTube
I was having check engine light coming on and the solution was to replace the rusted fuel filler neck as you stated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts