Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. I am a proud owner of a 2006 Flint Mica 4WD Sport. I love it and I’m glad that Toyota beefed up this year’s model to a more pro look. I previously had leased a 2000 Rav4 and over the years was “teased” by a lot of people for being a male and driving a Rav4 (people are mean) and while I know it was a joke, I felt like maybe I should be driving something more ‘manly’, but in the end all these ‘manly’ men were driving big SUVs and all they ever hauled around were their groceries!

Anywho, anyone else experience this sort of reaction to owning a Rav4? The irony (for me) is that all the people I know who own a Prius are men, and the Prius is tiny!

As for the 06 model, it really is a step up from previous models (and much more manly), and considering I could’ve purchased a new 4Runner for the same price ($5K off MSRP and low financing it was tempting) I think that I made a wise choice.

Enjoying the Forum.

J.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Carol - I uploaded some pics of my new Rav4. It's in my photo album. - J.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Carol - yeah, I thought these photos really showed the flint mica rather well, especially for those who have been trying to get a good idea what it looks like. It is a bit more sparkly than the photos show, but I describe the flint mica as being very "organic".

One of the dealers was a bit pushy and trying to get me into a blue one (which was my 3rd color choice) and when I saw that a different dealer had the flint I had to go look and I fell in love. I took it up a long steep incline for about 7 miles at 10% grade and it kept up with traffic with 2 out-of-shape people in the car, so it had decent power.

It's a great car, a joy to drive and extremely happy with it. The handling and control are wonderful and it's nice and solid and smooth.

There are a few things of concern one minor, one major-ish:

Minor: the cup holders are crap. My wife has a Honda Accord and her cup holders are wonderfully engineered with 4 points of contact on the cup with spring loaded contacts. Works amazingly well, but the Rav's is poor. All my drinks tip sideways and spill all over so I can't put anything in there with an open top. I did, however manage to work out a system with it where when possible I lift up on the spring thing after getting the drink in there and it kind of secures it. Still not a good design though. I like the old style better with just 2 different sized fixed diameter holes.

Major: The stereo sound is pretty bad. This, in hindsight, could've swayed my decision, at least to have tried to have a different system installed (if that's even possible). The stereo's factory sound is just cranked with the bass. Even at the minimum allowed setting of -5 level for bass I am still thumped out with some music. Not to mention the treble is so high and shrill that in combination with too heavy bass the system sounds really strange. The best settings are bass @ -3 and treble at +1. Does anyone else feel the same? Differently?

Acceptable but not preferred: I notice some lurching during acceleration, but this is normal (I think). I have been driving a stick for the last 15 years and have had a lot of control over the operation of the car, so when trying to get up to speed for hgihway driving I need to be conciencious about the way an automatic shifts and work with the amount of pedal accel to keep up with the engine's work.

Little concerned about the reclining chair issue only because it's a big inconveneince. The dealer wants me to leave it there all day on a weekday (fixing this is not a priority to them).

I sort of miss the a/c vent in the crotch position my old Rav4 had. Gotta admit that was a great idea!

Also, I sort of wish I had known about the different options - manul vs. automatic a/c switch and JBL system, but that's my fault for not researching enough. Is the automatic a/c an option with the Sport? However, one bonus to the manual a/c selectors is that there's sort of an in-between setting that I don't think you can get with the automatic one (or am I wrong about that?)

BUT, I am pretty much 100% satisifed with the car.

J.

·
Registered
654 Posts
J, it seems overall you're happy with the car. :lol:

I agree with what you listed. I haven't really used the cup holder other than for bottled water. I know it won't hold my favorite travel mug but I'm just glad to even have a cup holder (teehee, old car had none). I can't remember who but someone was checking into cup holders.

I have the stock 6-disc changer and didn't get the JBL upgrade (which I probably should have) and I'm not particularly fond of the sound. To me, it's exactly the way you described it, too much base. Great with techno but not so great with classical or other music in between. I actually like the sound through the iPod because it seems to reduce some of the thumpiness. Of course the good new is that your major complaint is actually something very fixable! You can always upgrade your stereo. There's quite a bit of info on this forum about that, too.

I don't think my seat reclining is as problematic as Frank's since it does come up from a certain recline position. I don't think his come up at all from any position. It's just not that big of a problem because I don't really use the recline (all of 2-3 times in 13 yrs w/old car). I'm sure Frank will give us an update if it's better after he gets his back from the dealer. If it fixes it, I will most likely have them fix if when I take it in for my first oil change.

I think the perfect combo for me would have been the Limited + options with Sports suspension in flint mica. It would have been nice to have the dual climate control for the dogs and hubby, who all tend to be warmer than I am. I think you might be right about the in-between setting on the Sport.

Well, I'm glad that overall, you really like your new car. I might have felt bad if you didn't like it. :wink: I know I love mine!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Welcome to the forums J.! Looking good! The flint mica looks kinda blueish. Looks cool! I'm glad you got the RAV. You won't regret it :).

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi - thanks for the welcomings. In spite of some of the downsides/defects (and my complaingts), I really absolutely love the 06 Rav. It drives like a charm and I really love it all around.

J.

·
Registered
102 Posts
unRAVelled & Puttputt:

I wish I hadn't seen the pictures of your Flint Mica RAV4's, as they confirmed to me that Flint Mica is the color I want. However, based on the six cylinder motors that are arriving soon, I decided to get the six. The only problem is that in this area and at this time, the six is only available on the Limited, while Flint Mica is only available on the Sport. Because the six is a greater priority than the Flint Mica, I'll have to resign myself to getting a different color. Sign me as Envious in New York State :cry: .

·
Registered
654 Posts
jadenison said:
unRAVelled & Puttputt:

I wish I hadn't seen the pictures of your Flint Mica RAV4's, as they confirmed to me that Flint Mica is the color I want. However, based on the six cylinder motors that are arriving soon, I decided to get the six. The only problem is that in this area and at this time, the six is only available on the Limited, while Flint Mica is only available on the Sport. Because the six is a greater priority than the Flint Mica, I'll have to resign myself to getting a different color. Sign me as Envious in New York State :cry: .
Dear Envious: :lol: jk
I know you will love your car no matter which model, color and trim. I think the RAV has a lot of very nice colors and looks good in all of them. :wink:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well I'm back to the Sport model. Toyota is now or will soon be selling the 6 cylinder 4X4 in the Sport and Limited models in this region. They added the Sport sometime between Monday and today. The dealer I've been working with has two 6 cylinder Sport models (alas not in Flint Mica) in the pipeline (a black and a silver) that will be received within 3 weeks. I reserved a black one, so soon I'll pass from a Wanta-Be RAV4 Owner to a RAV4 Owner (at last)! At least I have an inspiration in having seen the pictures that etop posted of his Black Sport RAV4. His RAV4 looks sharp.

This has been one long trial, starting (1) in the summer trying to figure what I wanted, (2) deciding on with Honda Elements, (3) moving to winter waiting to find out about the RAV4.3 had to offer, (4) deciding on the RAV4 and trying to get the dealer to locate what I wanted, then (5) changing my mind from a 4 cylinder to a 6 cylinder, and (6) at last getting a six cylinder Sport reserved for me. Being close to Canada, I thought that maybe I should check there. It seems there are some good options available in Canada

The people on this site have been great, and a great resource.

How did we ever live without the Internet and these Internet communities?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts