Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI guys:
first time posting here.....
have some general questions, hoping you guys that have owned Rav4s can assist a newbie:

1. Got the XLE 2015 Rav 4 w/ Nav
2. Have it less than 48 hours
3. Prior leased vehicle - 2012 Honda CR-V EX model (which I loved! but was not worth to buy it after lease end.) So upset over this...overpaid on the lease so financially not a good investment.

I have a few issues with my new Rav4:

1. does the back up camera have different option views? or is it widescreen only? HAted the widescreen view in the CR-V so always kept it at "normal" - also noticed that when I park using the rav4 camera I am at least one foot away from the curb. WHY?

2. the audio system (besides XM radio) is not so great...Very staticky and AM sounds like it's coming only from the front speakers. And looked at options and it is evenly distributed......all the treble, base, etc, is center

3. NAvigation system doesn't recognize my prompts and is very hard to use...

for instance, you can't just tell it find me the nearest Dunkin donuts? and it should go automatically??

never had nav before in the car so this is new for me.

4. My model doesn't seem to have automatic lights - DRL can be set to on, but there is NO auto feature with a sensor.......where lights go on automatically? seems so basic but for Toyota NOT to include it in the XLE seems cheap to me.

5. I feel that the ride is much more rough and you can feel bumps a lot more than I did with my old CRV - would it make sense for city driving to keep it in sport mode?

6. feel like it bottoms out real easy going over small bumps in t he road..is this common?

Thanks for assisting...really want to LOVE my new car as much as my old. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Welcome aboard! What was your CR-V valued at by KBB? My Highlander buyout was 21K, it was valued at 25k - I used that extra 4k as the downpayment on my XLE.

Back-up camera is wide angle only, no adjustment for that.

Check the air pressure in your tires, they sometimes have higher pressures in them when shipped from manuf. Dealer should've adjusted them before you picked your RAV up.

Ride is stiff - yes, you will feel those bumps - see above for help.

I use a portable GPS for the reasons you stated earlier.

Radio's sound isn't the best, there's a thread or 2 on here addressing that issue.

Lights only come with auto-off on the XLE.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
HI guys:
have some general questions, hoping you guys that have owned Rav4s can assist a newbie:
[...]I have a few issues with my new Rav4:

for instance, you can't just tell it find me the nearest Dunkin donuts
Sorry, but that option is only available to law enforcement.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,930 Posts
Sorry, but that option is only available to law enforcement.
Yeah, but only the rookies would need that!

·
Registered
707 Posts
HI guys:

1. Got the XLE 2015 Rav 4 w/ Nav
2. Have it less than 48 hours
3. Prior leased vehicle - 2012 Honda CR-V EX model (which I loved! but was not worth to buy it after lease end.) So upset over this...overpaid on the lease so financially not a good investment.

I have a few issues with my new Rav4:

1. does the back up camera have different option views? or is it widescreen only? HAted the widescreen view in the CR-V so always kept it at "normal" - also noticed that when I park using the rav4 camera I am at least one foot away from the curb. WHY?

2. the audio system (besides XM radio) is not so great...Very staticky and AM sounds like it's coming only from the front speakers. And looked at options and it is evenly distributed......all the treble, base, etc, is center

for instance, you can't just tell it find me the nearest Dunkin donuts? and it should go automatically??

never had nav before in the car so this is new for me.

4. My model doesn't seem to have automatic lights - DRL can be set to on, but there is NO auto feature with a sensor.......where lights go on automatically? seems so basic but for Toyota NOT to include it in the XLE seems cheap to me.

5. I feel that the ride is much more rough and you can feel bumps a lot more than I did with my old CRV - would it make sense for city driving to keep it in sport mode?

6. feel like it bottoms out real easy going over small bumps in t he road..is this common?

Thanks for assisting...really want to LOVE my new car as much as my old. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!!
You're just describing a typical experience with the "new" RAV. It screams "cheap" all over the place. Lousy audio, outdated navigation system, lack of basic features such as HomeLink or auto-headlights, cheap interior (hard plastic everywhere, no backlight dashboard), vinyl seats in "premium" Limited trim, etc., etc. Very bad and rough ride, noisy, less ground clearance than many sedans, outdated 6-speed transmission, ...

Is it terrible? No, it actually would be a decent small "econobox" CUV if Toyota sold it for what it's really worth, which is 20% less than what Toyota wants.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
You're just describing a typical experience with the "new" RAV. It screams "cheap" all over the place. Lousy audio, outdated navigation system, lack of basic features such as HomeLink or auto-headlights, cheap interior (hard plastic everywhere, no backlight dashboard), vinyl seats in "premium" Limited trim, etc., etc. Very bad and rough ride, noisy, less ground clearance than many sedans, outdated 6-speed transmission, ...

Is it terrible? No, it actually would be a decent small "econobox" CUV if Toyota sold it for what it's really worth, which is 20% less than what Toyota wants.
Having said all that, you STILL bought one. lol Jokes on you.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Having said all that, you STILL bought one. lol Jokes on you.
Yes, and it was a mistake.

Fortunately, I got rid of it after one year. The small financial loss is nothing compared to the pleasure of not having to drive the RAV anymore.

It's not the first (nor will be the last) time I have found a product I purchased disappointing. But I'm smart enough (and make enough money) to cut my losses short and replace an unsatisfactory product with a more adequate option. Unlike others who live in denial (or just have very low expectations) and continue enduring the RAV instead of enjoying a decent vehicle.

:wink

·
Registered
134 Posts

Yet you still keep coming on this site and posting your crap. So old.

You sir are an obnoxious ass. Not everyone has the financial ability to take a loss on their 25-30k car that they just purchased. And guess what, maybe alot of these folks really like their Rav and just need some advice. No person needs to hear that they just purchased a piece of crap "econobox". Any time i see a post where someone has an issue with their Rav you join in to tell them that they bought a piece of crap. That does not help anyone and this site is about helping each other out.
I think we owners all know the Rav is not perfect. No car is perfect, not even your precious Venza that Toyota is discontinuing. So please do us all a favor and keep your hate to yourself. I am frankly sick and tired of it .
An no i don't need to Rah Rah the Rav all the time. But i do not need to hear that i own a piece of crap. I like my Rav flaws and all.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts

Sour grapes Katie, just sour grapes. What ever happened to your FJ Cruiser? The internet and these forums are very useful tools, as are test drives, to help one determine if a particular vehicle is suitable for their needs.

Curious why you didn't get a Highlander, after all it is much more comfortable then the FJ, Venza and the RAV.

Reactions: RobLTD

·
Registered
165 Posts
The Venza must had to be Toyota biggest mistake in making that model. I had never seen a model get discontinued so fast from the line up. even the Hybrid hangs around for more than 10 years and so is the old Previa. It was around for a long time, not much in North America but surely in Australia.

Test drove the venza and did not like it at all. So dress up with no substances. Toyota better leave those to Cadillac who can do much better dress up.

Reactions: RobLTD

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,930 Posts
The Venza must had to be Toyota biggest mistake in making that model. I had never seen a model get discontinued so fast from the line up.
How about the Toyota Paseo? Only around for 7 years ('91-'97) just like the Venza. And the Toyota Starlet, only sold in N. America from 1981 to 1984. So Toyota has made some unpopular cars, but they never made an Edsel-like failure.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Bring back the FJ-40 series, and I don't mean the FJ Cruiser either. ?

·
Registered
264 Posts
But I'm smart enough (and make enough money) to cut my losses short and replace an unsatisfactory product with a more adequate option. Unlike others who live in denial (or just have very low expectations) and continue enduring the RAV instead of enjoying a decent vehicle.
:wink
So everyone who doesn't dump the RAV isn't very smart or living in denial? You're so superior you come on a RAV forum and say this? Past time for you to stay at the Venza forum of your choice and tell them every day how superior you and your Venz are. Not liking a car is one thing but when you insult every other owner who doesn't share your view is completely uncalled for and unacceptable. Go away.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Sorry to say this and I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but here in NZ our GXL AWD model
which I assume is your XLE has the following specifications. This seems a higher spec than you get in the U.S. (Our models are GX, GXL and Limited)

Toyota - RAV4 AWD Petrol GXL Specifications

Don't be frightened by the dollar prices as they are in NZ Dollars not U.S. Dollars :laugh

·
Registered
396 Posts
Tks Grumpy old man for posting the spec interesting I did a quick exchange rate from your NZ $ to Canadian CAD & USD your prices are only a couple of thousand $$ more than what we would pay here in N/A. One problem which might contribute to the poor quality of vehicles is the pricing, everyone wants Caddy quality but only willing to pay Chevy pricing. So something has to give unfortunately it is the quality of the vehicles. Not everyone is willing to pay say another $5,000 for their Rav if it had a top quality finish plus all the bells & whistle's that they expect.

·
Registered
165 Posts
+1 Big Daddy!! I see this every day in and out when it comes to cutting costs. Car company approach the OEM in search of cost saving. Be it cheaper less durable paint, re-process plastic pallet, reducing the number of clips holding the parts as well as using colourant in molding a part instead of painting it to match the exterior finish. Take the new Rav4 bumper for example. It is molded in black with UV stable colourant but over time, you would see wave on the bumper as UV take the win in the long run. Not having the paint the bumper might save about US10-20.00 but the cost of scrap due to paint defect is eliminated. So what current owner can do is when the black bumper fade to grey in 5-10 years, they can always had it repainted to black or match the exterior colour in glossy paint.

For those who have the chance to drive or sit inside a Tesla, get a feel of how the vents on the dash feels like. All of those components comes from China and then hand assemble into the final product.

No matter how cheap one might think the Rav4 feels, I will be driving mine for as long as it is economical to do so with no complain. I had a budget to start and a list of features and the Rav4 fits that bills completely and more. For those that have complain and then comes and insult others of their choice, I can only says to keep your foolishness to yourself and learn from your own mistake when it comes to buying anything. Just because you make a wrong choice, it does not mean that you have to get mad at everyone else. Do your research and test drive completely and wisely before you sign on the dotted line. That way you do not have to cut your loses and feel foolish for making the wrong purchase. If you do, just learn and be wiser next time.

·
Registered
165 Posts
How about the Toyota Paseo? Only around for 7 years ('91-'97) just like the Venza. And the Toyota Starlet, only sold in N. America from 1981 to 1984. So Toyota has made some unpopular cars, but they never made an Edsel-like failure.

Forgot all about those little runabout. The starlet was around for a while in other countries but just not in NA. The Venza is only a NA model and not make for export anyway as far as I know. All the parts that we make for them were ship to USA only.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The green lines are wider than width of the car. My trick is align the green line to the circled line in the attached pic. Park within a few inches from the curb all the time without looking at the mirror.

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
My friend who owns a Venza (I mentioned him in another thread) and his wife are so sorry that they purchased a Venza instead of a Highlander or RAV4, especially after driving around in my new RAV. He has it up for sale and will have to take a hit on it. They say (and I witnessed) that the Venza's ride is harsh and jittery and that there is no road feel whatsoever in the steering wheel - it's artificially weighted like some of the cheaper, poorly-engineered vehicles out there. They also get horrible gas mileage

Personally, I think that it is butt-ugly, and looks like an elongated Camry, undecided whether it wants to be an old fuddy-duddy station wagon or CUV. And, sitting in the drivers seat feels cramped, intrusive and almost claustrophobic, due to that ridiculous bulky center console. Obviously, others feel likewise or have negative impressions of it, as Toyota waves bye-bye to it. Good riddance And I just sense that people who went from the RAV to the Venza are silently disappointed and are kicking themselves, thinking that the grass is greener on the other side, only to find out that is wasn't grass but weeds.

So OP, look at the bright side: you chose a RAV over a disappointing station wagon, or whatever it is, that's being discontinued.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts