Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we pulled the trigger and traded in our 2012 Prius v model 5 and picked up a new 2017 Electric Storm Blue RAV 4 hybrid Limited yesterday. I love the color, my wife is not sure about it, but she didn't like the red or the white and too many of her friends have charcoal gray cars so she wanted something different.
Only 98 miles on it coming home from the dealer. It averaged 28.9 mpg, it was about 40 degrees and raining so we were pretty happy even though the Prius averaged 37 going there. We new we wouldn't get the same mileage and being familiar with hybrids we know this will only improve especially when the warm weather comes back.
I am hoping Husky or Weather Tec will eventually make a cargo tray for the back with a lip all the way around like we had in the Prius and the Explorer before that. So far the only disappointment is that there is almost no storage under the rear cargo area, the Prius had a lot of room under there to store things. Not a major issue though. :smile

·
Registered
324 Posts
Congrats! I have had my R4H for a week and love mine so far. Welcome to the forum, please drop in often!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, I hadn't found that in the book. It works fine but really makes an incline in the back unless I am not doing something right. The all weather mat set was one of the options that came on our car and it is a nice mat just doesn't have much of any lip to protect from a liquid spill it fits right up against the separator, so I thought maybe Husky or Weather Tec would make the same size tray with the lip.
I had a flat cargo map in a 85 Blazer and a new gallon jug of Moss Out leaked from the cap ran down the length of the mat onto the carpet and melted the carpet like you took a torch to it. Since then I have bought nothing but Husky or Weather Tec with the lip.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
I had the Husky cargo liner in the back of my '15 Limited, it saved me from a stinky mess when the drain plug on my 100qt cooler full of salmon leaked, wasn't a lot of liquid, but any would have been too much if it got out of the liner, even on the Hybrid any liquid will end up at the rear where it still has a nice lip. I replaced the Husky with the Weathertech just after I got the '16 Hybrid, the Husky rear lip was kinda laying flat after hauling shelving in the '15. It was $92 on Amazon, but I was getting their new CC at the time and got an $80 gift card with that, so I net cost was $12. The price varies on Amazon, 2 days after I ordered mine it was $107, now it's $99.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see you are in SW WA like us, actually we are in Packwood. Just curious, what kind of Mileage do you usually get? We live 1 mile from Packwood and my wife goes into town for mail etc. almost everyday, so it is a 2-3 mile trip and the car barely gets warmed up. That killed our Prius mileage especially in the winter so I am assuming it will do the same to the RAV 4.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
I see you are in SW WA like us, actually we are in Packwood. Just curious, what kind of Mileage do you usually get? We live 1 mile from Packwood and my wife goes into town for mail etc. almost everyday, so it is a 2-3 mile trip and the car barely gets warmed up. That killed our Prius mileage especially in the winter so I am assuming it will do the same to the RAV 4.
Since I blocked the lower grill opening and quit using cabin heat during warm up, my fuel economy has increased, haven't done a fill up since I made the changes since I don't travel much in the winter, just short trips around town @ 35mph or less, I was getting less than 25mpg, but after the grill block and less/no heater use, it's risen to over 28mpg for this tank so far and still rising on each trip, I'm in Vancouver.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/109-4-4-electric-rav4-hybrid-ev/247818-do-you-want-5-mpg-back-during-cold-months-restrict-air-flow-radiator.html

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I may try blocking the lower grill opening on the RAV, I was told that would help with our Prius v, but I never did it. Once again thank you for your information. :)

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
My wife drives a '15 Prius4, I blocked the lower grill opening and let her know about not using the heater, she won't turn the heater off, she's always cold, wears a sweater even in summer. The blocking increased mpg from 36 to 39mpg, she normally gets 48mpg in warmer weather. I also increased the tire pressure on the Rav4 HV to 36psi, forgot about that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts