Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just bought a 17 r4 hybrid . Previously owned a camry hybrid and it was very quiet. When standing by the camry, if the gas engine cut in, you could hardly hear it. When driving the camry, it was also quiet inside the vehicle. When driving the r4, it is noisy. Is this common with the r4 hybrid? When my husband mentioned the noise to a Toyota mechanic, he was told that the noise was to warn people the vehicle was there as other hybrids were too quiet. Otherwise I love the vehicle, but am worried that the noise is a symptom of an engine which is not properly made or tuned.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New rav4 hybrid is noisy.

I am not sure, but don't think that the noise I am hearing when driving is a result of pedestrian noise required. It occurs when driving any time, especially when on the highway. I understand that last years was quite noisy, but was understanding that Toyota improved the noise insulation this year. The noise I am hearing when car is parked and I am standing by it, might be so that visually impaired pedestrians will know that a car is near, but I am under the impression that this is only required when the hybrid motor is running. I am hearing noise when the gas engine is running. You can hear the gas engine cut in, and it is not quiet.

·
Registered
87 Posts
When the ICE is on when the vehicle is stopped or parked, it is usually engaged in generating power through MG1 so it's got a load on it and will not be totally silent. Even when the ICE is off and the vehicle is in park, there's a very slight electrical hum that one can hear if they're standing next to the vehicle. If the HVAC is on you can hear that as well from the outside if the ICE is off and it's in park.

These guys have a video where they show the ICE startup and what it sounds like (for all intents and purposes the 2017 is the same as the 2016). Is yours significantly louder than this?

·
Banned
236 Posts
I completely agree with you. Toyota cheaped out on sound deadening material for sure. Under the spare tire is just metal. I like the car but am very unhappy with how noisy the cabin is.

I used to have a 2007 4 Runner 8 cyl 4 wheel drive. It was whisper quiet compared to the Rav 4.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I completely agree with you. Toyota cheaped out on sound deadening material for sure. Under the spare tire is just metal. I like the car but am very unhappy with how noisy the cabin is.

I used to have a 2007 4 Runner 8 cyl 4 wheel drive. It was whisper quiet compared to the Rav 4.

The 2016 Rav4 Hybrid is much quieter than the previous 2013-2015. Toyota added much more sound insulation throughout the vehicle in 2016 and this has been mentioned and confirmed by many car reviews and owners. Toyota also softened the suspension for the 2016 as compared to the previous 2013-2015 model years. So, by adding more sound insulation to the 2016, in my opinion, is not cheapening out but quite the opposite, adding more. Go drive a 2013-2015 and compare that to a 2016 and see for yourself.
I previously owned a 2010 Highlander Limited and that was about as quite as the 2016 Rav4 Hybrid Limited that I presently own. No SUV, unless you get into the high end market, is going to be whisper quiet inside, especially in the rear.
I haven't looked in the spare tire well since I got the Rav last July buy I do remember seeing stripes of sound deadening around the spare tire well, it is body colored so it appears to be installed prior to painting.
Did you drive your Rav before you made the purchase?

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
+1, I drove a 2015 limited for a year, the 2016 Limited Hybrid is quite a bit quieter and rides much nicer, both with the same wheel/tire size, so that isn't part of the difference, not like comparing an XLE or LE with a Limited and their tire size difference.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
+1, I drove a 2015 limited for a year, the 2016 Limited Hybrid is quite a bit quieter and rides much nicer, both with the same wheel/tire size, so that isn't part of the difference, not like comparing an XLE or LE with a Limited and their tire size difference.
I find my 2016 hybrid limited rides much better than the 14 xle I traded for it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
My 2017 R4H is a LOT quieter and smoother than the 2015 Limited I traded as well. If there is one area that could be improved it is the OEM tires. The Bridgestone Ecopia's may be designed to save fuel, but they aren't the quietest tires.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have an '07 Rav4 and I have to say it's way too noisy.
I was hoping this issue would have been solved.
Going to test drive a 2017 Hybrid this weekend.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have an '07 Rav4 and I have to say it's way too noisy.
I was hoping this issue would have been solved.
Going to test drive a 2017 Hybrid this weekend.

It has been solved. In fact it was solved on the 2016 Rav4. Additional sound insulation/deadening was added along with a change in the suspension gives a smoother ride without any sacrifice in handling. Have never driven or rode in an '07 Rav4 but I know you will see a big difference in quietness. No SUV, unless you get into the high end market, is going to be whisper quiet inside, especially in the rear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts