Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
BASE 2010 RAV4 AWD
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Base AWD 2010 RAV4. I installed an aftermarket radio and backup camera.

Credit to metaldave for the wiring chart.

Tools:
-Plastic panel removal kit ~ $10
-Screw driver
-Sockets and wrench with extender
-Wire stripper/crimper

Parts:
-New radio ~ $50 (Yes, this was really about $50 shipped including all wires and camera. I am loving this radio so far, PM for details)
-Wire connectors and wire
-Wire Harness (I did not use one, but this makes it easier)

Radio Replacement:
0) You can do some prep before getting in the vehicle. Connect the wire harness that came with your new head unit to the one that adapts it to the factory connection. If you are not going to do that and want to directly connect here is the wire chart. Also, you can go ahead and attach the new dash kit brackets to the new head unit. If you are re-using the old brackets, the bolts that hold them on are 8mm. Use the screws that come with the new head unit to connect the old brackets though.
g264PASCON-o_other3.jpg Screenshot_20200229-160921.png 20200305_154035.jpg

1) Remove the panels on both sides of the radio and detach the wire connector. One is for the hazards and the other is the the 4WD if you have it. It is easiest if you start at the bottom of the side panels, as shown in the picture.
20200305_183232.jpg 20200305_183324.jpg 20200305_183404.jpg

2) Remove the head unit. There are 4 screws, they are 10mm and located at the red circles. Then remove the wire clips from the back along with the antenna.
20200305_092622.jpg

3) Now just reconnect the new wire harness and antenna to the back of the new head unit. Then slip the unit in place and make sure its adjusted to sit correctly in the aftermarket dash cover panel. Once you have it adjusted correctly you can screw it back in.

4) You can clip the head unit cover panel on, then re-connect the connectors for the hazards and 4WD. Pop the two side panels back on.

Congrats, you have now replaced your radio!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I would have used a wire harness since they cost $2.50 on Ebay. Also you could put back the factory radio if you sell the car or the new radio dies if you used a wire harness. I also would use solder or crimps instead of taping the wires for a more secure connection. This is the proper way of connecting wires which will reduce problems down the road. This install reminds me of my 1984 Honda install when many cars did not have wiring harness in my younger days.

·
Registered
BASE 2010 RAV4 AWD
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I would have used a wire harness since they cost $2.50 on Ebay. Also you could put back the factory radio if you sell the car or the new radio dies if you used a wire harness. I also would use solder or crimps instead of taping the wires for a more secure connection. This is the proper way of connecting wires which will reduce problems down the road. This install reminds me of my 1984 Honda install when many cars did not have wiring harness in my younger days.
I have all the tools and parts necessary to reinstall the factory radio like new. Also it is connected with some nice butt connections. Just temporarily covered with tape until I can do the shrinkwrap.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have all the tools and parts necessary to reinstall the factory radio like new. Also it is connected with some nice butt connections. Just temporarily covered with tape until I can do the shrinkwrap.
View attachment 150405
Try using these next time:

No crimping, no heat shrink tube. All in one step and waterproof. All you need is a stripper and a good torch style lighter. You can even use these in tight spaces where the wiring is a little short, if you know what I mean. Just be careful where you point the flame.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts

No crimping, no heat shrink tube. All in one step and waterproof. All you need is a stripper and a good torch style lighter. You can even use these in tight spaces where the wiring is a little short, if you know what I mean. Just be careful where you point the flame.

Have a good day.
I bought some of those last year but have not used them. It is a very good concept.

·
Registered
BASE 2010 RAV4 AWD
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Have a good day.
I like those, might try them on my project next week. Just need a new heat gun.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I bought some of those last year but have not used them. It is a very good concept.
I discovered them a few years ago and have been using them exclusively since then for all the auto wiring that I do. Here's a few tips I discovered using them.

Stager your cuts. All the connectors won't be in the same spot and it makes it easier to bundle or cover your wiring with tape or wire loom for a neater/factory look.

When you need a connector at the end of a wire, like a ground lug or spade connector, cut one end of the proper sized wire joiner off, 1/8" shy of the solder ring, leaving one good side. Place over wire, solder ring toward the connector. After crimping, slide the half wire joiner down over the connector. Heat until the solder melts and the tube shrinks locking everything together. Won't corrode like just a crimped connection can. Great for under the hood where a connection can be exposed to the elements.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
BASE 2010 RAV4 AWD
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I discovered them a few years ago and have been using them exclusively since then for all the auto wiring that I do. Here's a few tips I discovered using them.

Stager your cuts. All the connectors won't be in the same spot and it makes it easier to bundle or cover your wiring with tape or wire loom for a neater/factory look.

When you need a connector at the end of a wire, like a ground lug or spade connector, cut one end of the proper sized wire joiner off, 1/8" shy of the solder ring, leaving one good side. Place over wire, solder ring toward the connector. After crimping, slide the half wire joiner down over the connector. Heat until the solder melts and the tube shrinks locking everything together. Won't corrode like just a crimped connection can. Great for under the hood where a connection can be exposed to the elements.

Have a good day.
I bought some to do my other vehicle with. I enjoy these a lot, was super easy.
20200308_132204.jpg 20200308_132853.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts