Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I have a 2011 base RAV4 with about 37,000 miles on it. The stock radio (as many of you are painfully aware) is not all that good, with a bit of a muffled quality to the sound. Also, in warmer weather when the A/C is on, I notice that the radio turns off sometimes when I hit a preset button. Thus, I am looking for a replacement.

I also have a teenager who will be of driving age soon. He has an iPhone 5S, I have a mid-range Samsung Android phone, and the wife has an LG. This car is mainly mine to drive. We do not live in a state that requires "hands free" cell phone use, but we do pass through them and given the teen soon-to-be driving, I thought it might be prudent to buy.

We do not have steering wheel controls or rear camera. Wife wants to keep the total purchase under $200 (and likely closer to $100).

I've checked the Crutchfield web site and have seen some pretty decent models. I have also done head unit replacements myself before, once for a Saturn and once for a Corolla. Does anyone have any particular recommendations for brands or features? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Buy the best you can afford...with stereos I find that you generally get what you pay for...as far as the kid and driving goes I would install a program that does not allow them to do anything with their phone while driving except call 911...as far as your price range goes you're looking at single din units...I just put in a decent Kenwood single din in a work truck...I paid about 80 bucks and it came with all wiring and installation gear...for a little more cash you can get one with Bluetooth...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone!

I also have a teenager who will be of driving age soon. He has an iPhone 5S, I have a mid-range Samsung Android phone, and the wife has an LG. This car is mainly mine to drive. We do not live in a state that requires "hands free" cell phone use, but we do pass through them and given the teen soon-to-be driving, I thought it might be prudent to buy.

I've checked the Crutchfield web site and have seen some pretty decent models.

definitely get a model that has Bluetooth, you never know when your local laws will change, and it is 1000% safer

I was looking at the Pioneer DEH-X6800BT and the JVC KD-R975BTS, both very comparable, current models with lots of features.

I spoke to crutchfield on 2 occasion, their staff is very helpful and knowledgeable, and both radios very well respected and recommended by their staff.

I just (like 20 minutes ago) ordered the JVC KD-R975BTS unit from them. the reason I went with the JVC is simply because it is in stock on the crutchfield.ca site and the pioneer is not.

crutchfield also gives you the basic install parts (dash trim kit and Toyota wiring harness) for free. they also provide lifetime install support, use and enjoyment support. and free shipping. I can't think of a reason not to order from them

Paul
(PS order the Posi-Products connectors at the same time)

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts
I highly recommend this Sony unit for $159.99 from Crutchfield:

Sony WX-900BT CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

I installed the previous model in my son-in-law's Accord and it sounds great! Has every feature you can think of. And it sounds fantastic!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for your advice. Crutchfield definitely does have Double-DIN units for under $200, and I like the fact that they would fit in the space better. I have ordered from them before (I think for my old Corolla) and got good service. Yes, the free trim kits and wiring harness take the guess work out of finding and ordering parts from elsewhere.

Some interesting Double DIN models include:
[URL="http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KWR910B/JVC-KW-R910BT.html?tp=5684"]<h4 class="prodTitle">JVC KW-R910BT

</h4>[/URL]Sony WX-900BT

Pioneer FH-X721BT

Also various Kenwood models. I would like having bigger buttons as well.

I think I would definitely like to have Bluetooth for my own convenience as well as for others in the family. You are right that you never know when laws will change, and we are pretty close to states that do require hands-free operation. I would also like Radio Data System as I listen to a variety of music (including classical) and like that feature. One other thing I want is a radio that pulls in stations well, as the current one seems kind of crappy in that regard as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I installed the previous model in my son-in-law's Accord and it sounds great! Has every feature you can think of. And it sounds fantastic!
Great minds think alike. I think we posted about the same time! Thanks for the recommendation, BTW.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Head Unit

I have a unit here that might be a solution for both of us. It's a Pioneer AVH-P8400BH, a 2012 model which I installed in our 2012 Base model. Check it here:
AVH-P8400BH - 2-DIN Multimedia DVD Receiver with 7" Widescreen Touch Panel Display, Bluetooth®, HD Radio™ Tuner, and Advance App Mode for iPhone® 4S and iPhone® 4 | Pioneer Electronics USA

It was the top of the line non-nav model. Tons of features and can stand up on it's own without additional amps. The short story is being my wife's car she didn't care for so much in her radio and asked me to put the OEM back.
It was in the car for maybe a month and has been in bubble wrap ever since.
I saw your budget point, but I will point out and I'm sure you're aware that you need the installation kit, wiring harness adapters, and various other bits to do these right. I've done all that leg work already. Here's a kit listed on Amazon:
Amazon.com: Fits Toyota RAV4 2012 Multi DIN Aftermarket Harness Radio Install Dash Kit: Car Electronics
I also have the USB adapter to keep the center console aux/usb connection:
Metra Online
If you can work out the budget issues maybe we can deal? Checking ebay I only see one used and listing for $425. I can't go below $300 plus shipping but you won't come close to this unit and the installation gear for the money.
Just putting it out there.
20160412_072858.jpg

20160412_072750.jpg

20160412_073100.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a unit here that might be a solution for both of us. It's a Pioneer AVH-P8400BH, a 2012 model which I installed in our 2012 Base model. Check it here:
AVH-P8400BH - 2-DIN Multimedia DVD Receiver with 7" Widescreen Touch Panel Display, Bluetooth®, HD Radio™ Tuner, and Advance App Mode for iPhone® 4S and iPhone® 4 | Pioneer Electronics USA

It was the top of the line non-nav model. Tons of features and can stand up on it's own without additional amps. The short story is being my wife's car she didn't care for so much in her radio and asked me to put the OEM back.
It was in the car for maybe a month and has been in bubble wrap ever since.
I saw your budget point, but I will point out and I'm sure you're aware that you need the installation kit, wiring harness adapters, and various other bits to do these right. I've done all that leg work already. Here's a kit listed on Amazon:
Amazon.com: Fits Toyota RAV4 2012 Multi DIN Aftermarket Harness Radio Install Dash Kit: Car Electronics
I also have the USB adapter to keep the center console aux/usb connection:
Metra Online
If you can work out the budget issues maybe we can deal? Checking ebay I only see one used and listing for $425. I can't go below $300 plus shipping but you won't come close to this unit and the installation gear for the money.
Just putting it out there.
View attachment 71938

View attachment 71946

View attachment 71954
BoltsRUs,

Thanks for your kind offer. I checked out the specs and the Crutchfield reviews and they were pretty decent. Unfortunately, my wife just does not want to spend that kind of money. It also appears that the replacement model for yours (according to Crutchfield) costs about $430, and for $300 I can still get a lot of the features on a new model. So for now, I'll have to pass.

However, I am still open to other recommendations in my price range. That Sony one mentioned above does look pretty good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sony WX-900BT and SiriusXM-SXV300V1

Hi JuneBug,

I fairly recently bought a used 2011 base RAV4 (Third Generation) and was looking to update the stock non-JBL radio head unit.

Based on a fair amount of searching (particularly here on rav4world), I am considering the following:

Sony WX-900BT

Add a SiriusXM tuner, get a $70 rebate & 3 free months with valid subscription
SiriusXM SXV300V1 Tuner Enjoy SiriusXM satellite radio with your compatible aftermarket in-dash receiver (subscription sold separately by SiriusXM) at Crutchfield.com

Given that you have seen both the Sony WX-900BT and have extensive knowledge of the Satellite Antenna system, do you think this is a reasonable pairing?

General questions for rav4world community

1) Has anyone here actually installed the Sony WX-900BT in a third generation RAV4 (e.g. 2011)? How do you like its performance, functionality and looks?

2) For those who added an after market radio, did you attempt to use the existing antenna (Hack into Sat radio antenna?) or hook up a new one?

At this point, I am simply entertaining the idea of trying out the Satellite radio since I will be pulling out head unit anyway.

Thoughts?

TIA

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did end up buying the JVC unit from Crutchfield rather than the Sony. The prices were about the same, but the power and functionality were a bit better. I went over the choices with the Crutchfield sales reps and they recommended the JVC in my case. Big buttons are good for Mrs. Iso as well.

The unit was fairly easy to install, even for someone like me who isn't really mechanically inclined. There is probably very little difference between the Sony and the JVC in terms of installation difficulty. I did call Crutchfield technical support with a couple of questions about wire hookups, and they were very helpful. I strongly recommend getting the wire connections that Crutchfield sells as they are inexpensive, compact, and function well.

The JVC unit does pair well with my Samsung phone as well as my son's iPhone 5S. My wife can hear me pretty well when she calls. I managed to put the microphone right in front of me on the steering column. In addition, I used some Velcro tape to mount the remote on the steering wheel so I get controls there. It;s a bit tacky but works well (and is a far less complicated and expensive alternative to installing real steering wheel controls).

There was also the option of getting the Sirius XM antenna. We chose not to as it is a bit of a "non-budget" item for us. If you think it is worth it, go for it.

Best of luck whatever you choose!

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts
Hi JuneBug,

I fairly recently bought a used 2011 base RAV4 (Third Generation) and was looking to update the stock non-JBL radio head unit.

Based on a fair amount of searching (particularly here on rav4world), I am considering the following:

Sony WX-900BT

Add a SiriusXM tuner, get a $70 rebate & 3 free months with valid subscription
SiriusXM SXV300V1 Tuner Enjoy SiriusXM satellite radio with your compatible aftermarket in-dash receiver (subscription sold separately by SiriusXM) at Crutchfield.com

Given that you have seen both the Sony WX-900BT and have extensive knowledge of the Satellite Antenna system, do you think this is a reasonable pairing?
Yes, it's a great pairing. My son-in-law's worked very well up until August, when it was lost in The Great Flood. If I were upgrading my RAV4, I would choose the 900BT.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did end up buying the JVC unit from Crutchfield rather than the Sony. The prices were about the same, but the power and functionality were a bit better. I went over the choices with the Crutchfield sales reps and they recommended the JVC in my case. Big buttons are good for Mrs. Iso as well.

The unit was fairly easy to install, even for someone like me who isn't really mechanically inclined. There is probably very little difference between the Sony and the JVC in terms of installation difficulty. I did call Crutchfield technical support with a couple of questions about wire hookups, and they were very helpful. I strongly recommend getting the wire connections that Crutchfield sells as they are inexpensive, compact, and function well.

The JVC unit does pair well with my Samsung phone as well as my son's iPhone 5S. My wife can hear me pretty well when she calls. I managed to put the microphone right in front of me on the steering column. In addition, I used some Velcro tape to mount the remote on the steering wheel so I get controls there. It;s a bit tacky but works well (and is a far less complicated and expensive alternative to installing real steering wheel controls).

There was also the option of getting the Sirius XM antenna. We chose not to as it is a bit of a "non-budget" item for us. If you think it is worth it, go for it.

Best of luck whatever you choose!
Which JVC?

The single DIN JVC KD-R975BTS mentioned in the thread or something else?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, it's a great pairing. My son-in-law's worked very well up until August, when it was lost in The Great Flood. If I were upgrading my RAV4, I would choose the 900BT.
Have seen my share of flooding. Sorry to hear that :(. I do however appreciate your input, even if it doesn't bring back the best memories.

After thinking about it a bit, I think I am just going for the Sony WX-900BT CD receiver at Crutchfield.com and skipping the SiriusXM satellite, at least for now. Was thinking the SiriusXM would be really neat to have, but I am not sure how much I would use it from day to day. I had it in a rental, but after the novelty wore off, I didn't use it much. If the installation was a no–brainer, I might have considered it, but at this point it is overkill for what I need (even though I love toys :)).

In the end, I came to the realization that I just needed a solid radio upgrade over the muffled stock radio that had bluetooth, real buttons, USB that didn't totally destroy the OEM experience :laugh. I didn't need DVD or Navigation so this really looked like the best bet. Thanks for your input!

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts
It looks really good! I'm not a big fan of the phone mount, though. I couldn't survive with my A/C vent blocked down here. We use the A/C at least 10 months out of the year.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts