Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all, Im new here great site! I bought a 2005 Rav L for my daughters first car. I got it from my brother in laws daughter. She s out of college and wanted something new. Shes had it for 8 years. It has 194,500 miles on her and had the trans rebuilt last Dec for 3500.00. Has some dings and scatchs but not bad. The inside is very clean.
First off when we test drove it last Saturday I was like oh man this thing has a bad rear end the inside noise was so loud. (needed tires). But we took it to a Local Toy dealer and had it checked. Well here comes the list: needs tires, needs struts, L front wheel bearing, R rear wheel bearing, wiper blades. A recall was fixed at that time also. The front end had a loud banging. After my Brother in law paid 102.00 for the check out we went back to the house and nego a price.
So any way get home 4 hour ride, it was from the Atlanta area. After lurking on here I took it to an inden mechanic who use to work at Toyota and he found the sway bars links shot, replaced for 119.00. They wanted 1220.00 for new struts. I felt bad I couldn't do it myself I just didn't have time and wanted it quite down asap. No strut banging either after that. So next was the tires and a new set put on Thursday WOW what a difference that roar is gone, it is so quite now. Our Toyota dealer has a buy 3 get one free, 416.00 out the door. I got Goodyears. So now that it's quite I can hear a thud in the back end so I'm going to be running that down got something to check after reading on here. and will be fixing it myself. I did replace the air filter had a cheap filter in it, got one from dealer. Daughter loves the car so Im glad I got it, almost didn't because of the ROAR. Still don't know it bearing are bad, but I don't hear anything and the mechanic said that it would best to take off caliper and rotor to turn the hub by itself to evaluate it. I may let him test drive again to see what he thinks now that the whole thing is quite now. Great site some much good information Thanks Vince

·
Registered
8,576 Posts
Welcome, Vince. Hope that you get your RAV all sorted out and that your daughter continues to enjoy it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea got to do some catch up maintenance on it but over all I like it, thanks for the welcome. Just glad the clunking was the sway bar links and not struts and tires cured the ROAR.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts