Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,338 Posts
I don't know how prices go in your area but that seems like $1000 too high for a '97 with those miles. Other than that check underneath for any rust and take it out, mash the gas and see how it shifts. That's how I test cars trying to scare the owner if he/she rides shotgun.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Look for rust. That's a nice looking Rav though and its 4wd. $4K does seem a bit high for that many miles. Maybe $3k to $3,500 sounds about right. My 2000 Rav4 has over 214K miles and I haven't changed the timing belt/water pump yet nor do I do regular oil changes and the car still runs fine. It's almost bullet-proof. They're such good cars that I am looking to buy another one but, a 2-door version.

In all the years I've have mine, the only major issue was the master head cylinder which controls the breaks needed to be replaced. So, you should check to see if the brake/hydaulic pressure is still good.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Did you guys see where it was from? ;) If this a Bay Area car, I do not expect to see any rust!

CarFax can tell you that. It isn't always very good at keeping track of accidents, but if will tell you if it spent a bunch of years in rust belt.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Looks good.
Price is about right. Give or take a grand depending on what the car has changed and what the car needs. Sometimes you can get it a grand cheaper and end up spending a grand on it.

Let us know what you do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Picked it up Saturday. Paid $3800 for it. More than what I wanted to but there are none with repair documents within 120 miles of me so I guess I look at it like a convenience fee of sorts. Stacks of maintenance paperwork. 3rd TB/WP, all seals done, EGR, PS seals and lines replaced, rear wheel bearing replaced, fluids are bright and beautiful. Drives like I RAV I assume, little bumpy and not a ton of power but cruises at 80 no problem. Grabbed for my daughter and she loves it bad. Detailing the like new interior this week and eliminating all of the rattles inherent in the back plastic door compartments.
Don't see any differential maintenance done. How often do these need looked at? Curious since it's AWD. Looking forward to some adventures another 100K!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts