Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

New RAV4.1 Owner

749 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Blogson 
#1 ·
Hey everyone! So as the title says I'm new to RAV4 ownership. My situation is a bit unusual, though, so here's what's up.

I'm currently stationed with my wife in South Korea. Succumbing to the reality of the harsh road conditions here, I sold my BMW in January and started looking for something fun that would hold up and make me smile. Well, after a month of dedicated car hunting (I'm a car nut and need some soul of some kind in what I drive) I grew disheartened at the lack of anything remotely interesting on offer here. Now here is where it gets interesting.

I'll be stationed in Korea until August 2019, at which point vehicles made in 1994 will be 25 years old and able to be legally imported into America. So that led me to start looking at nearby Japan for possible vehicles. Let me tell you, Japan’s automotive landscape is a sensation. While Korea has nothing I have any interest in whatsoever, Japan kept me busy for hours salivating over the possibilities. Alas, I have a baby, a dog, and carry kayaks and bikes with me at times, so I had to rule out the wonderful Kei cars and obscure old Alfas.

I was looking primarily at Land Cruisers when a bright blue breath of fresh air unexpectedly caught my eye: A 1994 RAV4 L 2-door. I clicked on it and never looked back. It only has about 65,000 original miles, it has two moon roofs, factory mud guards, and a factory bull bar. It also, most importantly, has 4-wheel-drive and a five speed. It is in amazing shape, and now it is mine! I've owned many cars over the years, but have never been as excited about one as I am this.

Already I've ordered all weather mats, oil and air filters, new spark plugs, and a Haynes manual.
The RAV is being shipped as we speak and should be in my driveway by the end of the month.

I plan to do most of my own work on it as needed, so I’m grateful to have come across this community of enthusiasts. The pictures posted here are from the dealer, so I'll update with some better ones as soon as it arrives. In the meantime, I'd love any advise anyone has for a proud new RAV4 owner. Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
That's a beautiful RAV4! Finding one here in that condition is almost impossible. So, you'll be able to bring that one over when you rotate back? But the steering wheel is on the wrong side! You'll need a passenger when you go to the drive thru!! :)

#4 ·
That RAV looks really great - showroom new! :smile American service people who imported their US cars into the UK when we were there had to contend with driving left hand drive vehicles on right hand drive roads and occasionally we would see one while living there. Having also driven on the "wrong" side of the road ourselves it's an inconvenience especially when wanting to pass on two-lance roads but one more or less gets used to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.