Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening y’all,

I received a RAV4 LE as a gift from my parents and I wish to make some updates. Obviously I was blessed to get the car as a college graduation gift and I can’t complain, though I wouldn’t have gone with a LE given the choice.

I would like to change out the mirrors to the xle ones that have the turn signal and heated. Is this possible?

also the silver trim, is there anyway to change the color to blue like the CHR has?
Can I switch the mirror to a home link and will homelink work for my apt gate?
Another thing, it says I have entune suite but I don’t have any of the features on the app or anything. Is there something I’m missing? And if so can I upgrade it?

Lastly, I’d really like a push button start and I’m sure it’s not possible but if it is, how?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Good evening y’all,

I received a RAV4 LE as a gift from my parents and I wish to make some updates. Obviously I was blessed to get the car as a college graduation gift and I can’t complain, though I wouldn’t have gone with a LE given the choice.

I would like to change out the mirrors to the xle ones that have the turn signal and heated. Is this possible?

also the silver trim, is there anyway to change the color to blue like the CHR has?
Another thing, it says I have entune suite but I don’t have any of the features on the app or anything. Is there something I’m missing? And if so can I upgrade it?

Lastly, I’d really like a push button start and I’m sure it’s not possible but if it is, how?
Tommy, you better stop this non-sense (%$#@) now before we take your brand new RAV4 away and give it to your sister Karen!!!

Your upgrdes are cost prohibitive and not very practical. The push button start is nice but the turn key is very reliable. I think your parents got you a car that is very reliable with less things to go wrong; LE is that choice. You easily lost $3000-$5000 when the car left the dealer lot. Then you will have to make a deal for a XLE Premium or whatever you want. I think it is just better to drive your current RAV4 for 3-5 years then trade it in so you can get a car of your fancy.

I would focus on my new job then worry about a new car later.

·
Registered
2019 XSE
1,033 Posts
The Entune suite is garbage, don't bother to install the App. I assume you have an Andriod or Iphone. If so, you can use Carplay or Android Audio and have your music, maps, etc on the head unit.

Good evening y’all,

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 XLE Premium
29 Posts
The homelink mirror would be feasible for ~$130 depending on where you buy it from. Can't say that I have experience with an apartment gate with it, though. May be worth checking into.

Other than that, you're stuck with cosmetic mods.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Good evening y’all,

Forget the push button start, my daughter had her Highlander towed because of the push button start. Their are a lot of pointless features on the higher grades that you won't have to worry about repairing. The blind spot monitor would have been nice. Get some LED bulbs for the map light and the one for the cargo area. Is the LE AWD.?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Good evening y’all,

I received a RAV4 LE as a gift from my parents and I wish to make some updates.
You guys "lighten up" on MatchRav. You can see he is a bright, young man with initiative :)
Congrats on graduation !

As stated by northwoods, your "updates are not practical and cost prohibitive."

How many miles so far ? Dealer may let you upgrade with hopefully a minimal loss. Wouldn't hurt to ask. Although in my area (Texas), prices just increased for the RAV4 by approx 1-2K. (sticker price).

·
Registered
26 Posts
same car i got. And it was my choice. Sure i would like to buy a trd or hybrid limited but thats like doubling the price for the same car. Save your money, buy some property. Then down the road by your dream car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow some of these responses are uncalled for. I don’t want to trade my car in as it’s a gift and I cherish that. I didn’t ask if it was cost effective for most of the things I want to do.

So those who think I’m being childish or a fool can get their own life. I have a house I had a great car that I paid off myself my parents wanted to do something special for me. I will drive the car until it’s last leg because it’s from my parents who won’t be around forever. I told them they didn’t have to but they wanted to buy it anyways. I donated my other car to someone who needed it more than me.

so anyone have experience?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Wow some of these responses are uncalled for. I don’t want to trade my car in as it’s a gift and I cherish that. I didn’t ask if it was cost effective for most of the things I want to do.

So those who think I’m being childish or a fool can get their own life. I have a house I had a great car that I paid off myself my parents wanted to do something special for me. I will drive the car until it’s last leg because it’s from my parents who won’t be around forever. I told them they didn’t have to but they wanted to buy it anyways. I donated my other car to someone who needed it more than me.

so anyone have experience?
I have an LE. When I bought it had to have blind spot monitor and rear cross traffic alert. I did not want the moon roof and AWD. Came with the roof rack , rubber mats and pearlcoat paint. It looks sharp.Ask the dealer if the options you want are doable. Hope I did not offend. We should stick to car stuff. I think people were trying to be funny and sometimes people can take offense. I don't think anyone was trying to be mean. Good luck with the car.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Push button start: not possible that we know of. MIGHT be possible but you’d be the trailblazer and things could go very badly wrong. On the plus side, thieves are finding it easy to clone the keyless fobs for pushbutton start models, and are stealing them without breaking anything - another point in favour of an old fashioned key.

Wing mirrors: here’s where it gets interesting. Some users have found that in some cases on older models Toyota has used a common wiring harness on all models ; one user in Europe found that by adding a steering wheel with radio and cruise controls, there were wires for this, and they were functional (their base models didn’t come with either, but the modules were there). You MAY find that the wiring is already there to make the uplevel mirrors functional, with no extra parts. Again, you’ll be a trailblazer but likely with significantly less cost and risk for this vs the push button start.

Homelink mirror is a standard dealer-installed (or aftermarket) upgrade and has been available for about 20 years - this will be one of the easier mods as it’s frequently done and well-documented.

Congratulations on your new 2020 RAV! That’s quite the gift, and I think it will serve you well for a long time. My 2012 still drives like new, even with 127,000 km (75,000 miles) and almost 8 years old. Heck I just replaced the original battery a few months ago! I suspect your trucklet will last at least as long.

·
Registered
2020 Rav4 Hybrid Limited w/ATP/Cold Weather/Roof Rack
24 Posts
To be fair, you may want to wait on some of the modifications on your car as it is a gift and the other problems you will need to worry about will probably better to have the money and mod the car as you go along.

As noted by some, you could get the HomeLink Mirror and if it is a radio signal based gate, the Homelink should work:

I believe the push start will require also having the smart key system, which is a little more involved as it isn't just the button and fob, but also programming and receivers installed in the car to make sure you are in the car and what not and the price of that will be probably more than you will be able to afford initially.

Side Mirror - Not sure if this is good or not:

However, note, unless you are into doing the actual work (Which I am never confident on) you also have to spend some money on labor and having someone else put it in for you which can be a big price tag or a lot of effort work.

If anything, I would suggest starting small. The stuff you are looking into does deal with some serious working of the car and you could probably do more damage (Accidentally) trying to do it yourself.

Also consider the re-sale value. Even though the axiom of a car depreciates sharply as soon as it leaves the lot, you also don't want to make it worse by doing modifications to it that will drive the cost down even more. So short of totalling the car, there is still potential of trade in down the road. I would say if the car roughly cost about $30k, you can get $7-8k after 8 years of owning it and treating it well, even without serious modifications.

My last car being a Prius v and I didn't do much modification other than Tinting the windows and replacing the interior lights with LEDs and got $9k for it for 8 years of ownership and a scuffed bumper. Now I have a Rav4 Hybrid with what I want and the color I wanted, but also capitalized a bit on the 0% APR deal so I am only paying monthly for what the car is versus having to pay thousands more over the year in finance premiums.

I think you will find that you may do what I did, live with what you got for now, do minor mods along the way, and later, when you have a good enough amount of money saved away and a good deal comes around, trading in your car for what you want will come in handy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts