Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I currently own a 92 Dodge one-ton with 5 speed manual and cummins engine as my work vehicle. I also own a 96 FZJ 80 Land Cruiser with front and rear E-lockers as my dedicated adventure rig.

Both of these are beyond adequate for what they're designed to do: Work, or hard core trail rig. What neither of them do well, is daily driver. My Land Cruiser get 12 mpg on the highway, but has an amazing ride quality.

My Dodge cummins truck pulls 18 mpg, but has a horrible ride. I only like to use it for hauling firewood, building materials, or my dog team. I was gifted a grand from a family member, so figured it'd be a good time to look for a light adventure rig.

I just picked up a four-door, five speed manual, 1997 RAV4 for 2 grand even. 157,000 miles. It came with a four Yakima towers and two Yakima bars already installed. I jacked up the rear axle and determined it to be equipped with a torsen limited slip differential. The diff-lock works. One C.V axle needs replacing. The tires are bald, and the shocks/struts are ancient and very rusty. My biggest concern was loosing my masculinity, but at least it's not a Subaru. 24 mpg at 70 mph was a pleasant surprise, so I'm happy.

I immediately purchased the old man emu suspension and a set of 225/75R16 Cooper Discovery ST tires with free shipping from Amazon. I was kind of bummed when I noticed my suspension kit lacked the front struts. Low and behold......there was 2 new (old stock) old man emu front struts on Ebay! I was on that purchase button faster than a rat on a cheeto.

So far:
$1000 (after gift) for this outrageous little bubble mobile
$381 for the larger, more aggressive tires
$442 for old man emu
$319 for the front old man emu struts.
$368 in total shipping costs (cold-hard reality of living in Alaska)

What's left:
I'm looking for a cheap 3500 lb ATV winch on craigslist to mount

I'm going to spray the entire lower faded plastic area with raptor truck bed liner. I have a spray gun, and have been pretty impressed with the finish of this stuff. They sell it at any Napa paint department. by the quart. The quart container screws into the schutz gun. It's also tintable with automotive paint to match the color of your vehicle, or comes in the color black. I'm going with black. It's a WAY nicer finish than any of that worthless roll-on stuff.

I'll post before and after pictures of my daily driver budget whoopty. I may do a bold trip, like a canoe-based caribou hunt. Will be funny, strapping a bull caribou to the back of the RAV4 in a utility basket plugged into the receiver.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,048 Posts
First, welcome to the forum and wow, sounds good, have fun with her. I'm also completing a rebuild of a 99 4 door, 4x4. Unfortunately mine didn't have the torsion LSD rear differential, keep in mind that if anything happens to her that the torsion is in demand.

Sounds like you know your stuff, but these old girls need all those vacuum lines replaced or she'll drive you crazy with codes. All the rubber lines, belts, and hoses should be carefully checked and most likely replaced. I blew my tranny when one of the transmission cooling lines blew, and yes that 5-speed has a tranny cooler. I made my own lines a hell of a lot cheaper and better quality than the Toyota lines.

If you click on garage under my avatar your will see the mods/repairs I've made to my old girl along with links that you can copy and paste, unfortunately the garage doesn't allow live links.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll put a weekend into base-lining this thing. This RAV4 came from Kodiak Island, which never gets hot, never gets too cold and is always moist. All the seals and rubber are in surprisingly good condition.

Over the years I've owned an 04 double cab Tacoma, a 96 T-100, a 2000 4Runner, a lexus LX450, two 96 FZJ 80' Land Cruisers, one right hand drive HDJ 81 turbo diesel Land Cruiser imported from Japan, one right hand drive HJ 61 Land Cruiser imported from Japan, 1989 Toyota Celica, two 1987 FJ-60 Land Cruisers and one FJ-62 Land Cruiser.

Old rubber hoses and seals go on all of em. I consider myself an old-school Toyota mechanic. The worst, is an FJ-60 Land Cruiser, where all the emissions components were operated by vacuum lines. A spaghetti string of a mess.

On my Lexus LX450: One little tiny 2 inch long piece of rubber hose ruptured, called the "Pesky Heater Hose". This caused a head gasket failure. The cost: $2000 at the machine shop to fit 24 new valves to the big inline six, shimming valves and shave the head 10 thousandths. $2000 in OEM parts, $200 in fuel injector rebuild/balancing, 6 days in labor to put the engine back together. It was a great learning experience though.

I feel your pain.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Welcome! Show us some pictures of your RAV4 and LC! My dream is to own a serie 70 LC, exactly like the ones used by the Portuguese Army when I was serving in Bosnia. But they are very rare where I live. :(

The Torsen is a good device, but is not the best LSD for off-road use. If you come in a situation where one rear tire grip is a concern, pull the hand-brake a few clicks to put some resistance on both rear wheels. It makes a good difference!

For the winch, a 3500 lb will not be very handy... a RAV4 weights near 3000 lbs. A good rule of thumb is to double the weight of the vehicle. So go with a 8,000 lb if you want to get out of ''any'' situation.

·
Registered
412 Posts
WELCOME!!!

Got a 1998 here.. it has been everywhere.. I don't feel any less masculine in it if compared to the FJ Cruiser I have parked at home or the Sequoia.

Enjoy!! .. and share more pics !

Where in Alaska are you?
I drove up to DEADHORSE last year from Tennessee .. check out my Avatar.

Took it off road everywhere. 249k miles right now !

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,048 Posts
Where did you get the mud flaps?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Where did you get the mud flaps?

Not sure if the question was for me, but mine are now OEM mud flaps that I couldn't find anywhere initially and then I saw a vehicle door being sold in New York and they put a picture of the whole vehicle in the auction. I saw that it had OEM mud flaps and had to get the lady to send those to me.. new pics are attached below.

I love seeing my vehicles all OEM. The beauty is in what a vehicle can do in its original shape. Even my FJ is all OEM.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not sure if the question was for me, but mine are now OEM mud flaps that I couldn't find anywhere initially and then I saw a vehicle door being sold in New York and they put a picture of the whole vehicle in the auction. I saw that it had OEM mud flaps and had to get the lady to send those to me.. new pics are attached below.

I love seeing my vehicles all OEM. The beauty is in what a vehicle can do in its original shape. Even my FJ is all OEM.

Are those BF Goodrich All Terran KO2s?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Are those BF Goodrich All Terran KO2s?

BF Goodrich all terrain KOs ... KO2s were just introduced when I bought the KOs but I got these on sale with $100 off or something like that.

Let me tell you. I have put 60k miles on these tires in a year and half and they still look new!!... not much worn either and I have put them through some off road hell.

Love em !!

·
Registered
484 Posts
RAV4EVR if you love the KO's.... you would love the KO2s. They are at another level. :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Wow thats good to hear, I'm going to need new tires soon and I've been doing some research. How are they on the freeway as far as noise and mpg?

You have a high revving high torqued vehicle. The change of tires from normal to KOs didn't make a difference or was too negligible. The benefits are awesome.

Noise, may be some but not as much as many off road tires out there.

Ride quality .. I didn't see much difference.

·
Registered
412 Posts
RAV4EVR if you love the KO's.... you would love the KO2s. They are at another level. :)

Let us see the close ups on your GEN2. I bet they look sweet.

·
Registered
484 Posts
The change of tires from normal to KOs didn't make a difference or was too negligible. The benefits are awesome. Noise, may be some but not as much as many off road tires out there.

Are your KO's rated LT? And are they the same size as original tires? Because mine are LT. And they are somewhat heavy compared to the ''standard street'' tires I had before. I also went a little taller than OEM spec... so I must admit that my RAV accelerates a little slower than before. For the noise, it's very minimal.

My brother wanted KO2's for his Honda Pilot. The tire seller told him to avoid them due to excessive road noise. He came visit me one month ago. We took a ride a few hours on/off road in my RAV4. He was so surprised, that he bought KO2's right back at home! :)

Let us see the close ups on your GEN2. I bet they look sweet.

(https://s26.postimg.cc/g5j6z74jt/049.jpg)

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
412 Posts
Are your KO's rated LT? And are they the same size as original tires? Because mine are LT. And they are somewhat heavy compared to the ''standard street'' tires I had before. I also went a little taller than OEM spec... so I must admit that my RAV accelerates a little slower than before. For the noise, it's very minimal.

My brother wanted KO2's for his Honda Pilot. The tire seller told him to avoid them due to excessive road noise. He came visit me one month ago. We took a ride a few hours on/off road in my RAV4. He was so surprised, that he bought KO2's right back at home! :)

(https://s26.postimg.cc/g5j6z74jt/049.jpg)

SWEET !!!

Yes. They are rated LT. Shop was insisting that they are too much for my vehicle. I had to insist that I wanted them.
They are exact same size as the normal tires I had before.
I was really concerned because when the front wheel turns there is very little clearance between the tire and the wheel well. I can only squeeze a finger in from where the splash guard is.

The KOs turned out to be same diameter overall.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not much new folks. I got the Cooper tires mounted. I'm still waiting on my OME lift from rocky road. The OME front struts are in. The limited slip combined with the aggressive, taller tires has impressed me climbing down the steep trail to my cabin. I would occasionally rub a rear lower suspension arm climbing down to my cabin, but not once with the taller tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have alot of baslining to do while I wait for suspension parts. Timing belt, windshield, rear diff leak, injectors sent off to witchhunter for rebuild/balancing, valve stem seals, valve cover gasket, oil pump gasket, fuel pump, crank seal, etc.

I've lost some power due to the taller tires, so a full header exhaust will be next, but only after baslining and suspension+alignment. Getting a solid 23 mpg at 70-75mph.

·
Super Moderator
809 Posts
I immediately purchased the old man emu suspension and a set of 225/75R16 Cooper Discovery ST tires with free shipping from Amazon. I was kind of bummed when I noticed my suspension kit lacked the front struts. Low and behold......there was 2 new (old stock) old man emu front struts on Ebay!
I was wondering which car the front OME struts you purchased were originally designed for?
I am under the impression that Old Man Emu never made front struts for the Rav.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This was the description of the struts I purchased: "ARB Old Man Emu Strut 94-00 Toyota Rav 4 #N206S

This listing is for a single ARB strut for a 94-00 Toyota Rav 4 with 0-1" of lift. These are discontinued and no longer made by ARB. "

I've climbed around looking at the struts, comparing them. They look identical,
except for the larger body of the ome struts. I have a 2009 OME catalogue that lists them for the 1994-2000 rav4 as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts