Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 2016 RAV4, received it on 7/28, I was surprised to find the maps are dated from 5/2015, over a year out of date. Are other people getting new vehicles with old maps as well or did someone swap mine out? Anyone know the latest version of the map data? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
Map data cards are only updated once a year from my research, usually in the summer/fall, so any vehicle made after May if gonna have the last update in it, my Hybrid was made in Jan 16, has May 2015 map card, my 2015 Limited had a May 2014 card, same for my wife's '15 Prius IIRC. Vehicle built date is on the VIN plate on the pillar between front and rear driver side doors. New data cards are $130-$180 depending on what you dealer wants for it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Updated maps are available for a fee usually in the Fall. Considering you just purchased I would ask the dealer if they would include an update when available. Can't hurt to ask considering your only a couple of months away from the new data set. Tell him/her that you were unaware that the map was outdated when you purchased.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dealer told me that my vehicle came with the latest available maps (I doubt it) and I can purchase an upgrade when available. Couldn't tell me a price because nothing is available yet.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
Where can I purchase navigation system map updates?

Where can I purchase navigation system map updates?

Navigation map updates can be purchased through your local Toyota dealership.

The software is typically updated annually in the fall. We recommend that you consult with your local Toyota dealership before making your purchase because the updates may not be significant in your driving area. Also, please note that areas of detailed mapping are primarily located around population centers.

·
Registered
2019 RAV4 Hybrid Limited
192 Posts
Bought ours in May 2014 and the map date was at least 2 years old! Drove through Ontario and back through the US and roads I know were there for at least 2 years were not on the map. I complained, but no satisfaction. The only reason I got the navi in the first place was that it was included in the limited package...wish they would decouple the navigation from other popular options.

·
Registered
268 Posts
My 2013 RAV came with 2012 maps.

I'm going in next week to have my maps updated to the 2016 version that was just released after I tested out a 2017 RAV to make sure the new streets in my area were included in the update. After confirming that they were I went ahead and ordered the map update.

We also have a 2015 Camry that came with 2014 maps. Since updates only come out once a year it's bound to be common for a vehicle to ship with one model year old maps, especially since a model year is usually released before the actual year it is named/numbered for.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was just to the dealer and they say there are no new maps. My 2016 Hybrid Limited has the May 2015 maps. This is one disgusting nav system.

·
Registered
818 Posts
We have nav but never use it. Better/easier to just use our smart phone. The only reson we have nav is because it came with the car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes, but it would be good if it was more useful. There are update chips available for about $50 on eBay that I believe would at least update the maps. Part numbers 35014 or OE184 seem to be the latest. They appear to be interchangeable. I also wonder when the next update becomes available as this one is over one year old. Toyota is way behind others in the industry when it comes to map updates.

·
Registered
158 Posts
It seems to get the most use out of the navigation is to replace the head unit with something that supports apple car play or android car play...toyota certainly seems to be lacking in this area!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,895 Posts
It seems to get the most use out of the navigation is to replace the head unit with something that supports apple car play or android car play...toyota certainly seems to be lacking in this area!
I just read an excellent review on the new 2018 Camry. They loved everything about it except for what they called the one fatal flaw: No Apple CarPlay or Android Auto available. From the article:
"The company cites privacy concerns for its reluctance to dabble in this technology."--Translation: Toyota doesn't want to pay the licensing fees for this technology:

8 Great Traits of the 2018 Toyota Camry... and a Fatal Flaw - NY Daily News

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
I was at the dealer today getting my wife's Prius serviced, asked the parts guy about the latest Nav update, said it won't be available until Nov.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I gust bought a new 2017 RAV4 last week and the dealer installed the card after the sale and it was Map Version: 05-37-51 2017-04-01. I am coming from a 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid and their yearly NAV updates from MAPNSOFT were $169-219 depending on model.

·
Registered
268 Posts
But you paid for it. Doesn't that bother you?
Not at all.

Before I ordered the map update I confirmed with the parts department that I would be getting the most recent version of maps (2016)- the same as what I drove on the 2017 RAV. I knew that version had the roads I was wanting to have.

I was assured that's what I would be getting - 2016 maps.

That's not what I received. I would have never purchased 2015 maps in January of 2017.

I did all the research to make sure I was getting the version of maps that I wanted and, yet, that's not what I received.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everybody !

Bought the wife a 2017 GXL AWD in July. Great car & very economical. The GPS system is outdated with most of the components making up the system software dated 2015, IE, Content List: MAPS : Australia 2015.Q4,
PLACES: 2015.Q4, TRAFFIC SERVICE: Australia 1.1, 2007, PHONEMES, 2015.Q4, ELEVATIONS: Australia Premium 2006.06, DRIVER ALERTS: Australia 2015.Q4, ALERT POINTS: Australia 2015.Q4, 3D LANDMARKS: Australia 2015.Q4, iGO: <Navigation Software> 9.12.14.545514, June 2 2015. I contacted the Dealer/Service Manager who is very helpful but could not find out any info from "head office @ Toyota". So I rang head office myself & inquired about an update to this system considering that NNG (the Software Providers) is prepared to sell me the update for a considerable amount of $$$, $165au. I would also have to install it myself.
The lady @ toyota advised me that I would have to buy it from NNG as they have no update facility that she knew of. Told her that was a pretty poor response considering that the car is/was 2 months old & purchased with the system being "dated" from new. She really did not seem very interested in helping me. Then got a call from a Client/Guest Advisor from Toyota Australia & told him about this and gave him where the updates could be bought from in USA & said Toyota should pay for it. Emailed this info to him FHI. Got a call from the Dealer who was very apologetic saying that this Advisor told him to phone me & advise me that I would have to pay for the update to the tune of $295au. I am very disappointed in this whole situation considering that I paid $46k au for this vehicle.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi everybody !

Bought the wife a 2017 GXL AWD in July. Great car & very economical. The GPS system is outdated with most of the components making up the system software dated 2015, IE, Content List: MAPS : Australia 2015.Q4,
PLACES: 2015.Q4, TRAFFIC SERVICE: Australia 1.1, 2007, PHONEMES, 2015.Q4, ELEVATIONS: Australia Premium 2006.06, DRIVER ALERTS: Australia 2015.Q4, ALERT POINTS: Australia 2015.Q4, 3D LANDMARKS: Australia 2015.Q4, iGO: <Navigation Software> 9.12.14.545514, June 2 2015. I contacted the Dealer/Service Manager who is very helpful but could not find out any info from "head office @ Toyota". So I rang head office myself & inquired about an update to this system considering that NNG (the Software Providers) is prepared to sell me the update for a considerable amount of $$$, $165au. I would also have to install it myself.
The lady @ toyota advised me that I would have to buy it from NNG as they have no update facility that she knew of. Told her that was a pretty poor response considering that the car is/was 2 months old & purchased with the system being "dated" from new. She really did not seem very interested in helping me. Then got a call from a Client/Guest Advisor from Toyota Australia & told him about this and gave him where the updates could be bought from in USA & said Toyota should pay for it. Emailed this info to him FHI. Got a call from the Dealer who was very apologetic saying that this Advisor told him to phone me & advise me that I would have to pay for the update to the tune of $295au. I am very disappointed in this whole situation considering that I paid $46k au for this vehicle.
GPS in general is always lagged behind on map update. GPS in vehicles are even worst. More and more people are switching to navigation from your smart phones. Navigation on smart phones not only offer more up to date maps but also offer live traffic condition. It can route you to different route if there is an accident ahead. Some head unit have Android Auto and Apple Car to let you display navigation app from your phone on the head unit. Unfortunately, Toyota didn't do that so they can sell outdated GPS maps at a high price.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 33 Posts