Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I just purchased a 1999 RAV4 last week. I was hoping for a good winter vehicle as I am one of about 450,000 VW TDI owners about to lose their car back to VW and needed something good on fuel and that handles well in winter.

Turns out my new vehicle needs some serious repairs, one of which may beyond my ability to perform. the main frame part that holds both front lower control arms is cracked and has been welded unprofessionally. Can this be repaired/replaced?

All other parts appear in good condition. If you don't consider the coat hangar wire they strung up to hold the gas tank from a broken fuel tank strap. Tank was lying on the driveshaft. Who would ever sell something like that! It could have been a fatal issue, glad I found it right away. The RAV4 was bought at an as/is auction, so I have no recourse with the anonymous seller. Already ordered straps so this is an easy fix, one any seller should have done, easy to do, low cost, major safety repair.

Does anyone know the "lower control arm frame?" part name and number, and if it is available?
1999 RAV4 4WD, 4dr

Oh, and I will close with the usual early post. Does anyone know where I can download a 1999 RAV4 service manual?

·
Registered
412 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
We It is the Suspension Cross Member, Sub frame, part number B1381270391, Toyota part # 512010142040, cost new secondary market is approx. $350.00, Toyota $1,200.00. I will not resell this to anyone without repairing it, but may have to wait. I did find a complete front end kit at Rockauto.com for $335.00 that contains all the lower arms, tie rods, etc. When I replace the sub frame I am going to address all those components too as they all have to come off to replace the sub frame.

I tried all of the local junkyards searching for a RAV4 for other minor parts, but no luck so far. A used sub frame shipped, will likely cost me as much as a new one, so I will weigh that option once I find one for sale. If anyone has one for sale let me know.

All the other issues I can tackle myself.

Thank you for the quick response on my questions.

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
If the Rockauto kit has the parts you know you need plus some you may not I'd grab it. Once you get started on these projects you always find things you didn't think you'd need.
The hardest part of the job may be non-destructively removing bolts with captive nuts you can't get to.
Had that happen on a '98 I changed the lower A-arms on. Ended up stripping threads so even a new bolt wouldn't go back in tight. It's running today with C-spacers hammered and welded in to keep it tight.

·
Registered
11 Posts
1999 RAV4 front subframe

That is a good idea, I noticed that they cut open the welded box frame to get at one of the bolts holding the rear of the sub frame, did not re-weld or seal it up so it will be a rust point if left as is. I will weld on some threaded connectors so I can close it up and undercoat it afterwards.

I have located a sub frame from a salvage yard, the part is from southern us, with control arms and components, they want $450.00. I may go that route.

Thank you for the advice

1 - 5 of 5 Posts