Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to not very pleasant circumstances (death in the family), wife and I were gifted a Rav4 2009. I believe it is the base model, as it doesnt even have keyless entry. It has the OEM head unit (radio and cd only, with an AUX input).
As you might imagine, Im getting ready to do some modifications.
My questions/concerns are as follows:
1.How can I add keyless entry? Is it as easy as buying a compatible remote and programming it? Or is there no receiver built into the base model? How difficult/expensive is it to add a receiver if need be?4.
2.Im planning on buying a head unit that has both android auto and apple car play. Any recommendations? Anything i should know about installing one on a Rav4?
3. Is it possible to add steering wheel controls? How hard/expensive is it?
4. Does the tire flat warning light also trigger when the spare is low?

Thank you so much for your help and time.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,730 Posts
Due to not very pleasant circumstances (death in the family), wife and I were gifted a Rav4 2009. I believe it is the base model, as it doesnt even have keyless entry. It has the OEM head unit (radio and cd only, with an AUX input).
As you might imagine, Im getting ready to do some modifications.
My questions/concerns are as follows:
1.How can I add keyless entry? Is it as easy as buying a compatible remote and programming it? Or is there no receiver built into the base model? How difficult/expensive is it to add a receiver if need be?4.
2.Im planning on buying a head unit that has both android auto and apple car play. Any recommendations? Anything i should know about installing one on a Rav4?
3. Is it possible to add steering wheel controls? How hard/expensive is it?
4. Does the tire flat warning light also trigger when the spare is low?

Thank you so much for your help and time.
Welcome to RAV4World! Do you have the 4 cylinder or the V6 engine?

1. All RAV4's from 2006 on have remote keyless entry standard. The Base 2009 came with 3 keys: 2 remote keys with 3 buttons, and a plain valet key that will not unlock the glove box. Each key has an immobilizer chip embedded inside. A plain key without a chip will crank the engine, but it will not start unless a valid immobilizer chip is detected. If all you have is a valet (sub) key, it will be difficult to get a remote (master) key programmed, as a master is required to add any additional keys. The valet key cannot be used to add more keys.

2. There are many head units to choose from, both Windows and Android based. Many models are made in China that are custom fit to the 4.3 RAV4. Name brands like Pioneer, JVC, Kenwood, and Sony will require a fit kit for installation. Use our SEARCH feature and you will find many members here who have installed aftermarket head units.

3. Yes, many members have installed steering wheel controls, again try the SEARCH feature.

4. Yes, there are 5 TPMS sensors, one in each rim, including the spare.

·
Super Moderator
10,147 Posts
Definitely worth the effort to find at least one of the original keys since they are around $250 at the dealer.

When I bought our RAV4 at a dealer in FL it came with one Remote key and one Valet. Since I had the original owner's name & address in PA on the title I called and left a message on his phone. He called back, said he had the other key and would send it at no cost to me. I then mounted the Valet key under the plastic cover next to the ignition switch so I can now drive the car with my plain metal key. Also made installing a remote starter easier.

The Odyssey came from the original owner who gave me the remote key he had used for 200,000 miles. It worked but all the markings were worn off. As I was loading the van on my trailer I asked him to check for the other key. (I didn't care about the Valet.) A few minutes later he handed me a brand new looking key saying he found it in the bottom of his wife's handbag. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts