Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just shook on the deal yesterday, now I'm waiting for delivery to the dealership!

took 2 days and 6+ hours of negotiating, but I finally came to terms with the dealership for a 2017 XLE AWD in Silver with Ash interior.

It's coming from NY and should be here tomorrow or Friday!

I previously drove a 2010 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport. I'm curious to see how the RAV4 compares in unfavorable weather.
The Subaru has just been a money pit in the last few months... Time to give Toyota a try! I hear they are reliable, sure hope so!

I live in Maryland, Eastern Shore.
My daily commute is 65 miles round trip on flat, straight 65mph highways.
Typical Mid-Atlantic climate - hot humid summers / cold humid winters.

They gave me an LE at the dealership to test drive overnight.
I took it home (I was surprised they let me put 100+miles on a brand new LE!), and drove it around town testing ECO/SPORT modes and just getting a feel for the car.

I liked it, not crazy impressed by performance coming from the Impreza, but I think it will be a nice replacement.

Went back to the dealership and haggled my way into more $$ for the trade in and moving me up to the XLE at invoice cost. Oh and the accessories I had them discount to dealer cost as well!

I can't wait to get my XLE to arrive!

I really want to know the difference between ECO/SPORT modes for my type of driving in my locale.
I just signed up on FUELLY.com and will be posting results here as well; just give me a few weeks to put 9 tanks of gas through it!
I'll do an average of each mode with 3 fuel ups and see how they compare.

Cheers!
Logan

·
Registered
196 Posts
Howdy! Many congrats on your purchase !! I've got a 2013 2.5L. Best gas mileage I've gotten so far was driving from Westminster MD to OC MD. Got 30.2 mi / gal in ECO; using cruise control. Believe I also had the air conditioner on (part way) and cruising at ~72mi/hr. I did go on a day of the week (in Aug) and there wasn't much stop and go traffic. Think the worst gas mileage I've gotten was around here in town - Westminster - 21 mi/gal I think. Lots of stop and go, but not in ECO - regular mode I guess you could call it. Sport mode is a whole different personality the Rav takes on. Very hyper...like giving it espresso coffee. Fun and peppy. Enjoy your new ride !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Breakdown

Please show us the numbers on the deal.
Sorry this took a while...

Listen to this madness!
The dealership I went through didn't have the trim level in the color I wanted, so they had one shipped from NY.
They wanted me to sign financing that day; "Oh, we order cars all the time! We never have issues with deliveries!"
I asked to sign financing after the car came in and after a final inspection.
They didn't like that, but agreed if I put a $500 good faith deposit down which was fine with me. Put it on my VISA which would refund the money if the dealership tried anything shady...

The NEXT day - I get a call from the dealership, "So, your car was damaged upon delivery. What would you like to do?"
I said, "Nothing has changed, I still want a 2017 XLE in silver with ash interior and the options we agreed on yesterday".

They realized I wasn't going to buy the damaged car and said, "Well if we order another one it will not be here until after the weekend, are you sure you're okay with that?"
I said, "I'll wait as long as I need to. We agreed on the price and the model/trim/color already. Once that vehicle arrives I'll come in and we can proceed with financing"

So... Three days goes by and I get a call, "Your car is here! Come on in whenever you are available!"

I show up three hours later. Within those three days waiting for my XLE to arrive UNdamaged, Toyota had released another $500 rebate on top of the $1000 + 0% financing deal they already had on the car.
I asked for them to apply that $500 rebate and they looked confused. They said, "This deal was initiated 4 days ago. It's not eligible since the extra $500 rebate was offered yesterday..."

I told them again, "I have not purchased any vehicle yet. If you don't want to make this deal happen I can take my deposit back and go elsewhere."

After an hour of back and forth they finally agreed to giving me the extra rebate.
WHY is that a problem!? Toyota is offering the rebate. NOT the dealership; they lose nothing in applying an additional rebate! The dealership should be bringing this to my attention, not the other way around. I really don't understand this at all!

Finally get to the table with an undamaged car and my original offer, +$500 additional rebate.
I asked for a breakdown of the adjusted price and the manager took 20 minutes to print it out.
He looked concerned showing it to me... There was a $545 discount at the bottom of that sheet that was never offered to me or explained.
I asked what this was and he tried to come up with some excuse that this no longer applied because packages were different now...

The new car also didn't have crossbars, even though they were listed on the breakdown sheet...

I told them the price we agreed upon included crossbars and they could either adjust the price, or give me crossbars.
The manager says, "Ok, if we give you crossbars for free, do we have a deal?"
Excuse me? The crossbars are not free... They were agreed upon in the price of the car, before it was damaged upon delivery.
The new car doesn't have crossbars but they are being charged on the final sheet! Either give me crossbars, or take the $340 off my balance!

I'm so fed up at this point and made a comment about leaving. There are literally 15 dealerships on this road; why do I need to put up with this?

The sales manager makes a remark, "I can't wait for this deal to be over!" and proceeds to laugh while walking away from me to deliver the paperwork to financing.
I stopped him and said, "well no deal is a good deal until both parties are frustrated."

In the end, here is the breakdown:

MSRP: $26900
Options: $1838
Delivery Processing: $960
Subtotal before negotiations: $29698
Deliver Processing: $960
Subtotal before rebates: $26669
Total down: 779.68

OTD: $27914.44

It only took a week and about 8 hours total...
The final price is great in my opinion.
If my trade-in net 0 instead of negative equity, the OTD would have been $26,694.12
That includes everything; taxes, fees, accessories, and rebates.

All in all, I'm happy with the purchase.
and I LOVE the RAV4!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,895 Posts
Congratulations! You played their game and won! I never seem to come out that lucky.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First of all...welcome to the forum !!
(how many people use their first post to the forum...to welcome
someone else to the forum ?)
:smile
Also, welcome to the eastern shore. Actually although I have family thats lived
here for 30 years, my wife and I just moved here two years ago. And Ive been
getting the best gas mileage of my life here -as you know.. its flat, flat, with a
side helping of flat.. Im guessing youve lived here longer than us.
Finally, we just purchased a new Rav4 last week and have only managed to put
about 160 miles on it thus far, so our average mpg has yet to be determined. We
bought ours in annapolis, we never made it as far as salisbury in our search.
So here's hoping we both enjoy our rides for years to come. I promised the wife
I wouldnt add much to the vehicle.(ours is an LE with floor mats and not much else)
so Im thinking maybe mudguards, rear bumper protector, and just maybe... some
alloy wheels down the road...

-glenn

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
The sales manager makes a remark, "I can't wait for this deal to be over!" and proceeds to laugh while walking away from me to deliver the paperwork to financing.
I stopped him and said, "well no deal is a good deal until both parties are frustrated."
May I have your permission to use this?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First of all...welcome to the forum !!
(how many people use their first post to the forum...to welcome
someone else to the forum ?)
:smile
Also, welcome to the eastern shore. Actually although I have family thats lived
here for 30 years, my wife and I just moved here two years ago. And Ive been
getting the best gas mileage of my life here -as you know.. its flat, flat, with a
side helping of flat.. Im guessing youve lived here longer than us.
Finally, we just purchased a new Rav4 last week and have only managed to put
about 160 miles on it thus far, so our average mpg has yet to be determined. We
bought ours in annapolis, we never made it as far as salisbury in our search.
So here's hoping we both enjoy our rides for years to come. I promised the wife
I wouldnt add much to the vehicle.(ours is an LE with floor mats and not much else)
so Im thinking maybe mudguards, rear bumper protector, and just maybe... some
alloy wheels down the road...

-glenn
Love the Eastern Shore...
The second you cross the bridge coming East, everything seems to just slow down a bit.

I'm loving the new Rav4 also!
It's the perfect vehicle!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts