Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm proud owner of a third generation 2010 RAV4 V6. Recently I had the chance to rent and drive the new 2015 or 16 RAV4 for more than 10 days in Colorado. I'm not going to talk about all details - just one :

How do you - owners of the new generation of RAV4 are able to drive on any highway with this vehicle - this car just DOES not accelerate - and the worst thing is that it always lacks power in the most critical situation - in passing or in crossroads - when you need the power the transmission starts to think and then maybe after some time there is a little push and you move faster ?

Do you feel safe in this car on highway ?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
My 14 xle was never like that. I've heard of a few having problems with transmission hunting but mine always seemed to drop a gear of two and just go. Especially in sport mode. But compared to your v6 with 100 more horsepower and torque it obviously won't be as fast.
Now I drive the hybrid though which is somewhere in between the two.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Hi, I'm proud owner of a third generation 2010 RAV4 V6. Recently I had the chance to rent and drive the new 2015 or 16 RAV4 for more than 10 days in Colorado. I'm not going to talk about all details - just one :

How do you - owners of the new generation of RAV4 are able to drive on any highway with this vehicle - this car just DOES not accelerate - and the worst thing is that it always lacks power in the most critical situation - in passing or in crossroads - when you need the power the transmission starts to think and then maybe after some time there is a little push and you move faster ?

the transmission in those is a learning transmission... if it was learning with someone that drive 20 under the limit, it will make the 2.5 seem like it's running on 2 cylinders... lol

I have a V6 too, and I like it a lot better than the 4 cylinders, but the 4 cylinders with that transmission is very capable if it learned properly ;-)

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
What they said, I owned a 2006 V6 4.3 Rav for 9 yrs, there's no comparison as far as power tween the I4 and V6, but you may be experiencing the impact of elevation in CO over TN which reduces power compared to lower elevations. I had no issues with power in my 2015 4.4 Limited nor the 2016 Limited Hybrid which as Nodnerb said is somewhere in between the two.

The Effect of Altitude on a Car or Truck Engine | Speedy Daddy

As altitude increases, air becomes thinner. As air is required for combustion, and there is less available at higher altitudes, the engine makes less power. In general, a naturally aspirated engine will lose about 3 percent of its rated power for every 1,000 feet of altitude gained.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts

How do you - owners of the new generation of RAV4 are able to drive on any highway with this vehicle -
This may just be a bit of an over-reaction. If you're used to a V6, obviously an I4 will feel like a bit of a pooch at first - till you get used to that. There's nothing "unsafe" about the 2.5 Rav4. There are unsafe drivers, to be sure.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have no trouble acclerating with my new RAV4 Hybrid Limited. If it is getting on the interstate from an on-ramp or passing in heavy traffic, the 194 horse power engine does it safely and efficiently. No complaints here. I traded in a 2008 Lincoln MKX with a 3.5L V6 engine and six speed transmission. Yes more power, but only averaged 24 mpg. I will take the better gas mileage over the V6.

·
Registered
846 Posts

Rental cars are not babied by renters. I hope you weren't in ECO mode.

Maybe try to test drive the same model using a dealership demo and share your feedback with us one more time.

My wife drive the hybrid and I know it has enough power driving here in Canada but yeah maybe CO is very different with elevations and all.

The engine in this powertrain also equipped in the Lexus NX hybrid delivers 112 horsepower at 5,700 rpm, 206 pounds-feet torque at 4,100. The electric motor contributes a substantial 141 horsepower (105 kilowatts) at 4,500 rpm in front, 199 pounds feet torque, and the independent rear motor can supply 67 horsepower (50 kilowatts) at 4,608 rpm.

Total system output is 194 horsepower, comparing favorably with 176 horsepower for the gas-only RAV4.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Rental cars are not babied by renters. I hope you weren't in ECO mode.

Maybe try to test drive the same model using a dealership demo and share your feedback with us one more time.

My wife drive the hybrid and I know it has enough power driving here in Canada but yeah maybe CO is very different with elevations and all.

The engine in this powertrain also equipped in the Lexus NX hybrid delivers 112 horsepower at 5,700 rpm, 206 pounds-feet torque at 4,100. The electric motor contributes a substantial 141 horsepower (105 kilowatts) at 4,500 rpm in front, 199 pounds feet torque, and the independent rear motor can supply 67 horsepower (50 kilowatts) at 4,608 rpm.

Total system output is 194 horsepower, comparing favorably with 176 horsepower for the gas-only RAV4.
He never said he was driving a hybrid. My hybrid does fine accelerating. Much better than my 2015.

·
Registered
291 Posts
............How do you - owners of the new generation of RAV4 are able to drive on any highway with this vehicle - this car just DOES not accelerate - and the worst thing is that it always lacks power in the most critical situation - in passing or in crossroads - when you need the power the transmission starts to think and then maybe after some time there is a little push and you move faster ?

You must be in a hurry everywhere you go. :wink We keep ours in ECO mode and it has more than enough power. Just curious, how did you make it ten days if it would not accelerate? I guess you took back roads to stay off the highways and not pass anyone?

·
Registered
39 Posts
He's obviously trolling. My 2001 RAV4...yes the one with only a 2.0L 147hp engine has no problem passing on the freeway or accelerating from a stop. And yet he would have us believe that a much newer RAV with 176hp can't accelerate? Either there is something seriously wrong with the car or driver. Or maybe both.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
He can't tell the difference between a 2015 and a 2016, but it was a new RAV4? Huh!? :surprise

·
Registered
846 Posts
He can't tell the difference between a 2015 and a 2016, but it was a new RAV4? Huh!? :surprise
Even my 02 Civic 5 M/T with 107 lb/ft of torque can comfortably coast the highway but I keep at between 60-70 mph.

I'm only around 75 kg though but the OP may weigh a lot more.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I am having the same issues with an 11 month old 2015 rav 4. dealer tested and says nothing is wrong. seems a safety issue to me. thought it was econo mode .. turned that off and have the same problem. it is random.. doesn't do all the time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
No clue what you are talking about. I just bought a 2016 hybrid limited and it's almost as fast as my 09 limited 6! The 2016 Hybrid gets 34 mpg the 09 6 got 21 mPG. No I repeat no significant accelleration issues

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I think the original troll signed in with a different ID to bump his own thread. Then he'll go to some other forum and link back to this thread to say: look see there's a problem!!!

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
The Op's only other post was in the 4.3 forum a couple years ago, he's been online since he started this thread, but hasn't bothered to reply.:shrug:

Thanks.

The silicone grease did not help in my case - used a little improvisation - the HVAC outlet filters - Home depot 2$ .

Thanks a lot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts