Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined this site, last night. And I pick up a new 2017 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid on 7/21/2017. This is my first Toyota and also of course the first Hybrid. The vehicle I replaced it was a 2003 Chevy Blazer. The Blazer had more repairs to it then I thought was necessary in the 11 years of ownership, nothing major just a bunch of minor issues from 32,900 to 133,700 miles,so I thought I was going show GM that they don't need my loyalty. But the greatest thing is that so far, I am averaging 18 mpg better over the Blazer. So any advice as I heading into the Toyota, RAV4, Hybrid world?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Before I went Toyota I did Fiat, Audi, Volvo, Ford, VW and Smart. So annoyed with them all I did change brand each time. I'm on my third Toyota and my second hybrid now. Good choice.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Congrats on the brand new RAV4 Hybird...going from a '03 Blazer, is a remarkable upgrade.

Wife went from a 2002 Volvo v70 wagon to a 2008 RAV4 Limited v6...it was night & day difference, in enjoyment factor.
I went from a 2005 GMC Jimmy, to a 2000 4Runner SR5 4x4...even getting an older Toyota SUV, was like spoiling myself.

Only took me +40 years, to become Toyota loyal.
- even good used Toyota's are harder to find at a decent price...there made so good, people tend to drive them longer
- I even convinced our son to buy a new 2015 Lexus RX350, replacing a '08 Nissan Rogue...he couldn't be happier

·
Registered
324 Posts
I switched to Toyota from GM 10 years ago and never looked back. Every GM I owned had multiple issues, I couldn't be happier with the Toyota's I have owned and currently own. Welcome to the club!

As for advice, like any car, if you drive it reasonably you will get better fuel economy.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Welcome to the site. I think you will really enjoy your RAV4 Hybrid. I needed something larger, but economical for my extreme work commute. The RAV has been perfect in all aspects and no complaints. All of our cars and now Toyota's which has been the best brand for me by far. In the future when I have to I will upgrade to another RAV4 Hybrid. Again welcome to the site and Enjoy your RAV!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got my RAV4 hybrid in January 2016. I love it.

I had a Toyota Sienna minivan for 17 years before the RAV4. During the whole time I owned the Sienna I never had any issues with it. Just routine maintenance. How many other manufacturers can deliver quality like that?

Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
35 Posts
My wife and I bought a RAV4 Hybrid (Limited) last week. This is our 3rd Toyota on this side of the Pacific ocean. Before the RAV4H, my wife had a 2010 Prius. I could usually get 2 to 5 mpg more than she could on similar trips. She is not a drag racer but she does like to get up to speed as soon as she can. I tend to take it easier but I don't wait for slow speed increase of the EV drive only. Still I get better MPG because I am not as quick on the getting up to speed on the highway or in town.

I have a 2009 Camry Hybrid with 265,000 miles and average 34 - 35 mpg. When she or our adult middle daughter drives my Camry, they get 3 to 4 mpg less on trips. They are just quicker getting up to the speed limit. I would say that I am 3 to 5 seconds slower, but the difference in the way they drive versus the way I drive makes a big difference in MPG.

The point is, driving habits make a difference in the MPG, even with hybrids.

We lived in Japan for 26 years and drove Toyota's over there. Our last 7 years was in Toyota City, Aichi Prefecture, just a 5 kilometers from Ichibancho - THE headquarters of TMC. Can you tell that I like Toyotas? :smile

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
Welcome to the site. I have only owned one American auto, a used 1970 Ford Maverick, which was all the push I needed to move to Japanese cars. Today, these cars are mainly manufactured here. I have owned three Mazda's, all with rotary engines, and a VW Passat, along the way. The RAV4H is my third Toyota.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay I just joined.
I have not read entire manual but the dealer saleslady said do not push any of the buttons ,I think electric-? EV, eco, sport, just let it drive???
I will be doing a lot of highway miles over 80 miles to work 3 times a week ( 12 hr nurse) but I know all you RAV owners have figured out how to get the best gas mileage.
I live in MN so right now no snow and basically flat driving at 72 miles an hour.

I would appreciate any help from you all. I will read my manual, go to U Tube and basically live on this site for awhile. I got the white RAV and I saw someone said it looks like the guys wearing the white uniforms in star war movies....:) thanks for your help. Janet

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think using air conditioning in summer and heat in winter when car is not warmed up decrease mileage

·
Registered
423 Posts
Welcome, our 2016 Hybrid Limited just turned 10,000 miles and I think that tha gas mileage has improved since around the 6,000 mile mark. We traded in a 2007 Lincoln MKX which had a great engine but gave us plenty of transmission problems with the sensors. It was a six cylinder and I was getting about 24 mpg average. But with the Toyota, I have had not one single issue to complain about, a wonderful vehicle in handling and comfort and economy. I am averaging 34 mpg city and highway. I use the Econ. mode around town and the normal mode on the highway and even driving at 70-75 mph the gas mileage is still very impressive. Plenty of horse power to pass or pull out onto the highway from an on-ramp. I wish you the very best with yours.

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,093 Posts
Okay I just joined.
I have not read entire manual but the dealer saleslady said do not push any of the buttons ,I think electric-? EV, eco, sport, just let it drive???
I will be doing a lot of highway miles over 80 miles to work 3 times a week ( 12 hr nurse) but I know all you RAV owners have figured out how to get the best gas mileage.
I live in MN so right now no snow and basically flat driving at 72 miles an hour.
ECO mode will give you the best economy, but on the freeway it doesn't really matter. Cold weather will kill the MPG no matter what you do.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay I just joined.
I have not read entire manual but the dealer saleslady said do not push any of the buttons, I think electric-? EV, eco, sport, just let it drive???
I will be doing a lot of highway miles over 80 miles to work 3 times a week (12 hr nurse) but I know all you RAV owners have figured out how to get the best gas mileage.

I would appreciate any help from you all. I will read my manual, go to U Tube and basically live on this site for awhile. I got the white RAV and I saw someone said it looks like the guys wearing the white uniforms in star war movies....:) thanks for your help. Janet
I too could take more advice about getting better MPG. But congrats and still loving my RAV4. Sales people I consider to be an unnecessary part of the vehicle buying process. Don't get me wrong, some are good, others will promise you the world and aren't around when their promises aren't met. Mine was pretty good, he was more passionate about hybrids and the way things work so he was helpful. So mostly, I take their talk with a grain of salt. Read the manual and do what it says should be the basis but yes I know, we(me included) don't have time to read that dry big fat book, so my thing is, any question, look it up in manual. I even started but quit when I just read about stuff I know. Okay, back to buttons. Your sales person apparently didn't know how they worked or wanted to give you the time to explain. It doesn't hurt to experiment. The car won't blow up. Since you should be familiar the normal mode, I will compare there. The Eco mode will deadens your acceleration. And it will do other things to make your MPG better. The Sport mode will make your acceleration very responsive. The EV mode is only usable at low speeds. Say your only going to move the vehicle a around a little, like from one end of a shopping mall to another, or just needing to move the vehicle at home, you can press the EV mode and do so without starting the engine.

But if you don't have time to read my response that's OK, just go ahead and....

Push the buttons.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts