Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just learned something recently. It is possible for new RAV4s to be delivered with an alignment that is out of spec. The service tech said that often the cars get out of alignment during shipping. Also, it seems that many new ones have a negative rear camber way over the approx -1.0 deg. recommended by Toyota. Camber can not be adjusted, it must be repaired by replacing parts. Rear camber angles of about -1.5 deg or more will cause the tire to wear excessively on the inside shoulder as we have experienced. According to the alignment reports, Toyota seems to recommend anywhere from about -0.5 to -1.3 degrees for the rear camber, with anything low as -1.7 and up to -0.3 being "acceptable"

The report below is from a 2021 RAV4 LE with only 5,600 miles on it. Already the left front tire is way out of spec on the tow in, and likely was since delivered new. Tow angles can be adjusted by the dealer before delivery. Also, you can see the the right rear camber is already -1.4. The left is great at -0.8. Camber decreases even further over time as suspension parts wear, and springs compress a bit. Next time I will try to remember to ask for an alignment report before taking delivery, and not accept a rear camber greater than -1.0 degrees on a new car.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Your car could have been delivered out of specs BUT it could also be the alignment machine at the dealer that is out of calibration and giving a false report, SEEN THAT OFTEN. As for the rear that is not ajustable , when its slightly out of specs, I have fixed some by just loosening all the suspension bolts , prying in the required direction and retightening the suspension, sometimes , the loose around the bolts is all you need .

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your car could have been delivered out of specs BUT it could also be the alignment machine at the dealer that is out of calibration and giving a false report, SEEN THAT OFTEN. As for the rear that is not adjustable , when its slightly out of specs, I have fixed some by just loosening all the suspension bolts , prying in the required direction and retightening the suspension, sometimes , the loose around the bolts is all you need .
Thanks Rene65. This is not my car, but another newer one I borrowed and had checked at a local tire shop to compare to mine that has been having issues with excessive inner shoulder wear.

The post about mine is here: Excessive Rear Camber and Shoulder Wear 2019 Rav4 Hybrid

·
Registered
398 Posts
My stock Yokohama tires had really bad inner shoulder wear on my ‘13 CX-5. They were shot by 30k miles. The rear camber is visually aggressive on that vehicle and not adjustable as well. Thankfully a new set of better tires didn’t exhibit that abnormal wear at all throughout their lifetime.

·
Registered
2020 TRD Off-Road
15 Posts
My 2020 was also way out of alignment when I took it in for a crooked steering wheel at about 1000 miles. Was wondering if this was happening to anyone else.

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,572 Posts
My 2020 was also way out of alignment when I took it in for a crooked steering wheel at about 1000 miles. Was wondering if this was happening to anyone else.

An alignment of a '19 Limited Hybrid with 16k miles. $99 later.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Rav 4 XLE gas engine
82 Posts
Am I missing something? Looks like front toe was a little off and they set it good. Other front measurements not really altered. On the rear, if anything, they screwed up the camber worse than from the factory. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
-1.7 rear camber is excessive. Toyota recommends -1.3 to -0.7 this is the inner notch on the report and where your alignment should be after adjustment (-1.0 being ideal). FYI ours was also -1.7, and after 34,000 miles the tire looked like this:

We didn't notice the inner shoulder was gone until it started vibrating heavily on the highway. We were getting the tires rotated every 5K; however, the left rear got damaged anyway. A Toyota dealer and a tire shop confirmed that the excessive negative camber was the culprit. I would recommend that you get yours fixed ASAP. Hopefully it is still under warranty.

Our latest alignment report looked like this:

Our previous alignment indicated -1.7 left rear camber.

·
Registered
2021 Rav 4 XLE gas engine
82 Posts
From reading the various online reviews of the OEM Dunlop and Yoko tires on the fifth generation Rav4s I get the impression they are not thought very highly of. I am not surprised they might go bald at 25 to 35,000 miles regardless of the alignment. They are OK but not in any way exceptional in rain, ice or snow. They are certainly not high speed, high cornering performance street tires. God help them off road going over sharp rocks and loose surfaces and mud. They are merely adequate, cheap, entry level rubber. Get Falken Wild Peaks or Toyo A/T3 tires and you will have a lot less problems. Toyota uses the OEMs also because they are light weight to help gas mileage. The Falkens and Toyos are much heavier with tougher rubber compounds that would resist wear. But they would also likely start to exhibit wear on any vehicle at about 35K miles for such is the way of aggressively treaded tires.. Also you would take a small hit on fuel mileage. They are usually louder than the OEMs also. Get a pricier set of Michelins if you prefer better quality purely street tires. All would have better wear resistance than the OEM tires.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts