Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I keep on hearing "cracking sounds" from right rear side even after I replace rear shocks with new OEM ones so I have decided to get new OEM springs.

It seems that there is only one kind of spring or one part number for both sides.

Is that true that it is one type of spring for both sides? (48231-42032)

Also should I consider any other hardware/padding that I should buy with the springs?
It is a one time deal that would last me 10 years or so.
Again, I already put on new shocks about 20,000 miles ago (6 months ago).
I also already have new control arms and rear bushings in the back (new oem) to get perfect rear alignment. Rear ones were jammed at about 0.2 I believe.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found two more parts .. the bumper and the coil that I thinking about replacing at the same time. All parts including springs are around 230 dollars. Not bad.

I am hearing a cracking sound from back right sometimes and I don't need issues one day in the middle of nowhere this summer. Dealer could not find anything.

48257-42010 INSULATOR, RR COIL S
48306-42040 BUMPER SUB-ASSY, RR

·
Registered
609 Posts
Same parts for both sides with the springs and such. But there is an aftermarket spring.

I install the back half of an Old Man Emu kit in my Rav4 and the insulators and bumpers were in great condition while the springs were sagging. Both the old and new springs were the same height out of the Rav4, but now it sits 2 inches higher in the back. I will be installing the front springs soon, but I really like the improved ride and handling so far. After reading about the Old Man Emu shocks and springs at Rocky-Road.com, they sounded perfect for my driving needs and were great on the 2,200 mile road-trip I took last week. Eight national parks in six days.

The rear springs are very easy to change, be sure to have and use jack-stands for safety.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Same parts for both sides with the springs and such. But there is an aftermarket spring.

I install the back half of an Old Man Emu kit in my Rav4 and the insulators and bumpers were in great condition while the springs were sagging. Both the old and new springs were the same height out of the Rav4, but now it sits 2 inches higher in the back. I will be installing the front springs soon, but I really like the improved ride and handling so far. After reading about the Old Man Emu shocks and springs at Rocky-Road.com, they sounded perfect for my driving needs and were great on the 2,200 mile road-trip I took last week. Eight national parks in six days.

The rear springs are very easy to change, be sure to have and use jack-stands for safety.
Thanks.
How is the fuel economy with the new suspension?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Thanks.
How is the fuel economy with the new suspension?

A little better. But didn't expect much change as I kept the 225/70R16 tire size before and after the 1 inch lift. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts