Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received the attached 2 page recall notice in the mail.

It covers corrosion of the center no. 2 exhaust pipe sub-assembly.

It states the recall is for 2006-2008 V6 models driven in "Cold Climate Areas", so I'm not sure of how widespread the notice applies to.

EDIT: The letter is from Toyota Canada, but I can't remember any Canadian recalls that were not eventually issued to the US at a later date.

Attachments

·
Registered
641 Posts
Does that means it's too early to tell for 2009+ V6 models? Toyota may have used the same cat/pipe/muffler assembly part# since 2006 . . . . No reason for them to change as the 2GR engine and 4.3 chassis haven't changed much since 2006.

In my old 2000 Subie Legacy, the entire exhaust system was mint and rust free when the car was totaled at 250,000Km (150,000 miles) in 2010. It spent the entire life in the high salt environment the Rav4 now lives in. Why is the Toyota 'stainless steel' muffler that much inferior in quality? Why did they designed the assembly with a welded catalytic converter instead of flange attach/detach for ease of servicing?

I sure hoped they extend the same courtesy when my muffler shows the same rusting issues . . . .

·
Super Moderator
10,780 Posts
I live in the Chicagoland area and would think it's covered under the "Cold Climate Areas." I didn't see any message pop up in the Toyota's owners website.

It is signed TOYOTA CANADA INC. so I'd say that is strictly Canada.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Does that means it's too early to tell for 2009+ V6 models? Toyota may have used the same cat/pipe/muffler assembly part# since 2006 . . . . No reason for them to change as the 2GR engine and 4.3 chassis haven't changed much since 2006.

I sure hoped they extend the same courtesy when my muffler shows the same rusting issues . . . .
Time to pull out the ramps and crawl under for a look see.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Could be just a supplier issue, material issue, or manufacturing process defect that is applicable to the 2006 to 2008 models. Perhaps, as with other TSBs, the years will be updated to expand the applicable years. Time will tell.

I haven't received a letter yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My muffler and exhaust pipe gave out last winter. Dealer told me there was no recall and replacement would cost $1700 plus tax. I got a local garage to do it for $300. So I can imagine the fight I'm in for now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The dealer told me to talk to Toyota Canada, who told me to go to the dealer with my receipt for reimbursement. Let the runaraound begin!

·
Registered
246 Posts
My muffler and exhaust pipe gave out last winter. Dealer told me there was no recall and replacement would cost $1700 plus tax. I got a local garage to do it for $300. So I can imagine the fight I'm in for now.
I would doubt Toyota Canada would reimburse this as you did not replace with Toyota Genuine OEM parts. You went non-OEM...

If you replaced with Toyota OEM, then for sure you would get reimbused.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just returned from the dealership. I waited for 15 minutes when they returned and said I had a leak and that they were going to order new parts.

Since the parts are not being kept in stock, supposedly because of their large size, they have to order them. I have another appointment on July 11 to install the new parts.

Hopefully there won't be a shortage of parts, and I won't end up waiting 6 months like I did for the re-manufactured transmission.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I don't think you should have any problem. The notice specifically says

lf you have previously paid to have the muffler repaired or replaced on your vehicle due to this specific condition, please contact your authorized Toyota dealership for reimbursement consideration.

If your invoice clearly shows a breakdown of the parts that were replaced, I'm sure Toyota will pay for the part in question and a reasonable labor rate to have it installed. They will probably refuse to pay for any of the other pieces that were also replaced that day.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just returned from the dealership. I waited for 15 minutes when they returned and said I had a leak and that they were going to order new parts.

Since the parts are not being kept in stock, supposedly because of their large size, they have to order them. I have another appointment on July 11 to install the new parts.

Hopefully there won't be a shortage of parts, and I won't end up waiting 6 months like I did for the re-manufactured transmission.
Are you in Toronto? the dearler you went to is not Don Valley North Toyota is it? thanks. I am heading there tonight.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are you in Toronto? the dearler you went to is not Don Valley North Toyota is it? thanks. I am heading there tonight.
I'm in Barrie. The service adviser wasn't even aware of the "insulator cover" described in the recall. She said ever RAV they have inspected required a replacement pipe.

Let us know what they find on your RAV, and if the parts are in stock.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm in Barrie. The service adviser wasn't even aware of the "insulator cover" described in the recall. She said ever RAV they have inspected required a replacement pipe.

Let us know what they find on your RAV, and if the parts are in stock.
well, found leak as well, replacement not in stock, order today, going back tomorrow for install. I would assume most Ravs require the replacement, unless it is a summer only car.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts