Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a 2006 Toyota RAV4 and the Toyota dealer of Lévis contact me last Tuesday téléphonepour a reminder about the muffler. They have changed yesterday muffler and catalyst for my rav4 free. This is a reminder number 174.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Toyota replaced the muffler on my I4 about 2½ years ago, it was rotted out to a point we could stick a finger through the side. The tech told me it was the only part on the exaust system that wasn't made of stainless steel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My experience

Had mine replaced less than a year ago, not at the stealership though, cost me just over $300. Also, I had permacoat undercoat religiously applied yearly, didn't seem to matter.
Relatives had their muffler go on a 06 v6 sport, about 3 years in, I think they ended up paying $1100 to replace their system.

·
Registered
162 Posts
As far as I understand, this is not a recall but a Customer Satisfaction Campaign. There must had been an un-usually high amount of customer complaining to Toyota Canada about the exhaust system. The exhaust system is manufactured by Walkers located in Cambridge. Know a few team members there and information from them is that, the material are not top grade to begin with.

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Toyota replaced the muffler on my I4 about 2½ years ago, it was rotted out to a point we could stick a finger through the side. The tech told me it was the only part on the exaust system that wasn't made of stainless steel.
:eek: What were they thinking? I suppose it rusts from the inside out. How many miles did you have on yours when it rusted out? So the Japanese muffler is equally bad.

·
Registered
291 Posts
So, the dealerships in Canada find exhaust leaks, don't have parts, and send you on your way? Drive with the windows down. Or you'll get REALLY sleepy.

·
Premium Member
4,250 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I had the new parts installed this morning. It took less than 45 minutes, and cost me nothing. The photo shows the parts that were replaced. I hope this will help with the increasing exhaust noise I have been noticing. Unfortunately I never had the time to crawl under and see what condition the original system was in.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
so the i4 and v6 don't have the same parts down there
According to the service manual the parts are similar, except the I4 doesn't have the "Y" pipe in front of the small bulge (what is that anyway?, Catalytic Converter?).

Although the parts are somewhat similar, I don't think they are the same part numbers.

·
Registered
641 Posts
According to the service manual the parts are similar, except the I4 doesn't have the "Y" pipe in front of the small bulge (what is that anyway?, Catalytic Converter?).

Although the parts are somewhat similar, I don't think they are the same part numbers.
Yep, the small bulge is the catalytic converter, which accounts for the high replacement cost if purchasing factory part.

Why Toyota didn't designed in a flange to ease mid muffler replacement is beyond me - except to increase profit on the assembly part. I guess one less step on the assembly line must has a monetary value if millions of Rav4 are built. So what if they screwed the consumers in the maintenance budget . . . and gained on the high parts profit margin to boot.:shrug:

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I got the same notice in the mail. Too bad i had already replaced muffler on my RAV last year with an after market muffler @ a local garage but was very unsatisfied with the quality of work performed. Anyway, I called Toyota Canada and they referred me to Assistant Service manager at Meadowvale Toyota who was extremely positive I must say! He had one look at my car and gave me two options. 1. To get reimbursement for my expenses or 2. Get OEM muffler assembly, he recommended I go with option 2!!! I did and now have a brand new muffler courtesy Toyota!!! I am very satisfied with the service Toyota Meadowvale and Toyota Canada provided and would definitely recommend it to everyone!!!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
he recommended I go with option 2!!! I did and now have a brand new muffler courtesy Toyota!!! I am very satisfied with the service Toyota Meadowvale and Toyota Canada provided
I guess it wasn't hard to make that decision.:thumbs_up: My experience is that OEM exhaust systems last 2-3 times as long as after-market. In fact after getting an OEM muffler replaced after 7 years (at a Midas shop) I said to the technician "at least that's one thing I won't have to worry about for 7 more years". He replied that I shouldn't expect another 7 years, but 2 years would be more reasonable.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Too bad this isnt a US thing yet, my 2006 V6 spent most of its first 100k miles in salty Ohio and has recently developed an exhaust leak... c'mon toyota!!!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I got the muffer cover only... Pretty much looks like a stainless steel casing (top and bottom piece held together with bolts) to protect the original muffler.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts