Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up my new rav this monday. I ordered the white base 3rd row seat. I was wondering if anyone has changed the rims yet. I want to get the black steel rims to give it a little more off road look. Also 15 inch rims if they will work with the disk brakes... 15inch rims make for cheaper tires in the long run. I was wondering on backspacing of the rims and if anyone has delt with this yet. Thanks.. :?:

·
Premium Member
7,909 Posts
Wheel lug pattern is 5 on 4½ or 114mm with 40mm offset. I think you'll find 16" is as small as you can go.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I was thinking.. I will go hit the local tire shop when I pick it up tommarrow. Thanks for the reply.

·
Premium Member
7,909 Posts
Just a reminder that all of the OEM wheels including the spare have a transmitter and pressure warning valve in them that is part of the tire pressure monitoring system, dunno if they can be relocated to aftermarket wheels, something to consider.

·
Registered
771 Posts
They can be switched to other rims but you will have to recalibrate them. Dealer can charge over $100 for this. Depends on location but that is going to be the going rate.

COSTCO will be offering this service of recalibrating for FREE soon. They are just waiting for new equipment to arrive and then its FREE for all members. Good way to save big $$$$.

Later. M.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Also, going to 15" will require speedometer recalibration unless you go to taller aspect ratio tires. (Will make your car faster tho.)

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I plan on keeping with the same heighth just going to a smaller rim. Thanks for the replys and info. It will help alot in the decision process. I picked up the Rav4 on Monday and we love it.

·
Premium Member
7,909 Posts
go 5 hole said:
Also, going to 15" will require speedometer recalibration unless you go to taller aspect ratio tires. (Will make your car faster tho.)
I wouldn't worry so much about the speedo being off as much as other rotational inputs being out of spec for ABS and VSC, staying with a tire that has the same overall diameter as those that are factory options would be imperative.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have delt with alot of suv's and truck with lifting them and or installing larger oversize tires. I have not had any issues with the ABS or other things. The only issues were spedo off or less braking power due to a larger tire but this was only an issue when I went from a 29 inch tire to a 33 inch tire.. But I am not familiar with the DAC, HAC and the tire moniters but other trucks like the Hummer who uses these features are lifting their trucks and placing oversize tires all the time.. LIke I said though this is new ground for me I usually work on more trucks or suv built like trucks.. I thanks everyone for the input and I was hoping someone else has thought or done something like this already so I could piggy back off of someone else.. :wink:

·
Registered
88 Posts
how about 20's. i think this is the limit looking at the clearance on teh rear suspension. looks like the lower spring plate is right up against the rear tire.

245/45/20 was the only tire i could find on 20 inch rims. or 245/45/19. i would prefer to have at least a 50 aspect ratio to keep some road comfort and reduce the potential of a blowout from a pothole.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts