Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
65 all-new photos... mostly show things we've seen before, but at least there's some color and trim level variations and details on display.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/Images?criteria=05rav4sema

These are probably the ones that Kelly helped with last month before they got shipped off to the photo shoots... I wonder which one said "Bluetooth" on it...?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but now that i see real life pictures of this model, i don't think it looks as agressive as the 4.2 anymore. It's a mixed between a Highlander and a Matrix IMO.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I agree. It's one of the reasons I'm not impressed with these new Toyota vehicles. Technology wise, they've improved the vehicles..but design wise?? They look like reused designs. The new 4.3 did indeed remindsme too much of a Highlander with an elongated 4.2 rear end. Kinda loses it's cute, compact look which I liked. They could've done something more radical or sexy, but no.....It's just safe. ::yawn:: I wonder though will it attract any aftermarket parts? I'm not one to drive a cookie cutter vehicle. It must be customized. But from the looks of the new 4.3, I'd say parts will be even harder to find than the 4.2.

E

·
0 Posts
garfieldgurl said:
I don't know about you guys, but now that i see real life pictures of this model, i don't think it looks as agressive as the 4.2 anymore. It's a mixed between a Highlander and a Matrix IMO.
I completely agree with you. Who knows... I might change my mind as soon as I see it, but my first impression is that the 4.3 RAV4 is merely another city-slicker compact SUV which has lost a bit of its sporty looks compared to the 4.2. The 4.2, on the other hand, in spite of accusations that it looks too effeminate (not necessarily my own opinion), definitely is a head-turner with an aggressive look.

If you compare my first impressions of the 2006 RAV4 to my first impressions of the 2005 Tacoma, I'd have to tell you that, relatively speaking, I am quite disappointed with the 2006 RAV4. As soon as I saw the newly-redisigned 2005 Tacoma, I was tempted to trade in my then-six-month-old 2004 RAV4. However, compared to the 2006 RAV4, I'll gladly hang on to my 2004 RAV4, thank you very much. :wink: With an increase in size and a not-so-impressive increase in engine horsepower with the four-cylinder, I think a 2004 or 2005 2.4L RAV4 with 161 HP might pack a heavier punch. However, I'd be very interseted in checking out the 3.5L V6 - in spite of today's gas prices - which might be the highlight of the 4.3 RAV4.

The more I think of it, the more I believe that my 2004 RAV4 2.4L 4WD five-speed manual is a valuable collector's item. :p

Sorry if I sound bitter or cynical. 8)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yeah, the 4.2 has a look that can be cute or sexy depending on your point of view. Just the other day while parked at Costco loading some groceries, a little boy,maybe 5-6 years old, was walking by with his family and I overhead him tell his mom,"Mom, that car is cool," while point at my Rav. I hadda smile. :D :D

E

·
0 Posts
I don't know why.... people always approach me and tell me what a cool car I have, while pointing at my RAV4... not just co-workers, but also total strangers at gas stations! I'm not sure whether I'm just humble in nature, but my natural reaction usually is, "umm, really?". :lol:

Honestly, we must give Toyota some credit for the sporty design of the 4.2 RAV4. Sometimes, I get it the 4.2 RAV4 mixed up with the BMW X3, X5 and Infinity FX. :roll:

(Just a sidebar here... I think I'm one of the very few RAV4 drivers in Vancouver who take their RAV4s off paved roads. :p)

T

·
0 Posts
me too and i have a 4.2 ... not to mention i'm a guy driving this supposely designed for mom car...

all my friends love my car. and strangers too lol.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I agree that the styling on the 4.3 models is not distinctive. <sigh> They might still be good cars, but the eye appeal has faded.

Those newly released pics were definitely shot in Southern California. Some of the backgrounds look a great deal like spots in Pasadena.

Speaking of marketing shots, don't get excited about upcoming RAV4.3 commercials--we're going to see the most pointless, unappealing commercials for any Toyota to date--a real waste of $$$$$$$, time, and talent.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
EHinthe604 said:
The more I think of it, the more I believe that my 2004 RAV4 2.4L 4WD five-speed manual is a valuable collector's item. :p
Funny, this is how I feel about my 2000 RAV4, one of the last off the line before they changed over to the bigger, more car-like 2001! I have a feeling five years from now there will be posts in the RAV4.3 forum from owners saying that the new 2011 RAV4 is too big/soft/unattractive. But as always it's about conquest buyers who haven't considered the RAV4 before--Toyota designs the next one to what it thinks will have broader appeal. They could be right; my dealer says this one is much anticipated and he'll probably have to beat people off with sticks once the first ones hit the lot next month.

Z

·
0 Posts
Hi, Guys & Gals aren't we being just a bit over zealous :shock: , I am sure Toyota did a lot of market research, sifted through a ton of feedback reviews and then had the pain staking process of choosing a design :oops: . ( Maybe they needed to get feedback from us hardcore RAV4 fans)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: Yes the design does resemble other models :cry: , I am guessing as a result of the same design team, satisfying everyone's needs is impossible, but lets look at the bright side its now packed with cool features which was not advailable in my 99' gen 1 model at least.

In Trinidad we are getting the shorter version I guess the european spec with a 2.0L VVt-i :( , I must admit its looks a little more rugged, Toyota is focusing on smaller engines for obvious reasons, I do however hope to see a Hybrid power train soon.
Anyway its all still very exciting I have placed an order but final decision to buy depends on the price offered by our local dealership down here.
PS I got word from my dealer that manual is available to our market YES :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think a 2004 or 2005 2.4L RAV4 with 161 HP might pack a heavier punch.

with new rating system, this years would be 175hp in 04 :shock:

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Sure, but the 161 hp from the 2004/05 RAV4 would have dropped under the new rating scheme. The same 2.4 in the Camry dropped from 160 hp in 2005 to 154 hp in 2006.

J

·
0 Posts
I find the highlander to be too vanilla and a total yawn. From pictures, the 2006 Rav 4 has more appeal than the current highlander design. Just another point of view...

JCPZero

·
Registered
233 Posts
Sure, but the 161 hp from the 2004/05 RAV4 would have dropped under the new rating scheme. The same 2.4 in the Camry dropped from 160 hp in 2005 to 154 hp in 2006.

That is exactly what I am saying> about a 12-15 hp difference between the 04 and 06. Not saying that this would make it a great performer, just something to consider before it is labled a dog. The thing I was most disappointed in is the lack of a 5spd auto, this could have cut .5 seconds off the 0-60.

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Maybe Toyota designed the 4.3 thinking that us RAVrs' are getting older and can't see as well :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
garfieldgurl said:
I agree with Miriam about this. It has the physical stature of a Highlander with the styling of a Matrix blended together. :? The 4.3 RAV has really lost its styling appeal IMO. I'll be keeping my 4.1 for awhile. :D

The reason why I got a 1st generation RX-7, Miata, and RAV4 was because their styling was so radically different from what was being produced at the time of their introductions. You could probably say that each of those vehicles were the "benchmark" and created a niche market that others would soon imitate.

After viewing the newly released pictures of the 4.3 RAV, I find the design rather disappointing. :( It looks like another "cookie-cutter" design that will get lost in the crowd of similar looking SUVs on the road.

C

·
0 Posts
Awesome!! The DVD Player and The Sun Roof are both there! A lot of car companies only let you have one or the other! I am definatley interested in getting the V6!! Not too far off from the 4 cyclinder I currently get. 20/28mpg - I drive mostly highway.
Definatley looking forward to this! Can't wait till I see it in person!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts