Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all
I was thinking about getting new speakers for my Rav but I dont want 2 put in new radio so i dont loose the steering wheel controls. does any1 know any speakers and subs that would work with stock radio :?:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I also replaced the door speakers with Alpine 6.5".
Sounds much, much better. Clear, clean and plenty loud enough.
Jim.

E

·
0 Posts
You might also want to install an amplifier to power your aftermarket speakers. Even just feeding extra power the front channels will make a significant difference!

Actually, my RAV4 came with an aftermarket head unit (a Panasonic - which came the option level that I bought) and stock speakers. I changed my head unit to a Clarion not too long after I got the RAV4. As soon as I replaced my stock speakers with aftermarket ones, I realized a night-and-day difference. As soon as I had an amplifier installed to power the front speakers, I noticed a phenomenal difference.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I went with Pioneers in the front and MTXs at the back.
The MTXs act more like subs and head unit can provide enough power and personally, I don't think the amp is all that necessary.
I think that Scion head unit is cheaper improvement than getting aftermarket head unit and the amp.

E

·
0 Posts
Zorin said:
I went with Pioneers in the front and MTXs at the back.
The MTXs act more like subs and head unit can provide enough power and personally, I don't think the amp is all that necessary.
I think that Scion head unit is cheaper improvement than getting aftermarket head unit and the amp.
Yes, it definitely is a cheaper option. The Scion head unit probably has way more RMS wattage than the plain-jane stock RAV4 head unit. If I had kept the Panasonic one (that came with the Chili Special Edition), I probably would have had the same results with aftermarket speakers, but there were just little things with the Panasonic that I didn't like (AM interference, etc.).

I have Infinity speakers in the front and Rockford Fosgate speakers in the back. Actually, after I had an amplifier installed to power the front speakers (set to high pass) and left the back speakers unamplified, I still had pretty decent bass from the rear, but still had some limitations, which was why I got the subwoofer.

·
Registered
93 Posts
you may add an amplifier using a signal converter. the risk is you having some static or whining interference, but a good quality filter and amp wouldn't pose a problem. i have an audiolink converter (speaker out to rca outputs) from cruthchfield, for my rckford amp to power the subs, a bit pricey but highly recommended by audiophiles. as for the front and rears, the scion head unit did a very good job giving power to aftermarket speakers. id suggest going with the fronts as the rear is more on rear fill.

·
Registered
88 Posts
what's the difference between component and 2-way speakers?
any tweeter brand suggestions?
also, what type of internal amps did ya'll get?
appreciate it

B

·
0 Posts
what's the difference between component and 2-way speakers?
any tweeter brand suggestions?
also, what type of internal amps did ya'll get?
appreciate it
Component & 2-way - Components sound SO much cleaner & clearer ... but take a little ... and only little ... more time to install.
If you want tweeters, just go with Infinity Component speakers ...

I have a kenwood amp, it works well

But whatver you do, if you want to hook up a subwoofer, DO NOT! DO NOT use a line level convertor!!! They sound like crap, it'll be the worst sound you can imagine as compared to doing it right with a new head deck that has subwoofer outputs. Save your money - do it right the first time ... and have less aggrivation!

E

·
0 Posts
BryanNH said:
Component & 2-way - Components sound SO much cleaner & clearer ... but take a little ... and only little ... more time to install.
If you want tweeters, just go with Infinity Component speakers ...

I have a kenwood amp, it works well

But whatver you do, if you want to hook up a subwoofer, DO NOT! DO NOT use a line level convertor!!! They sound like crap, it'll be the worst sound you can imagine as compared to doing it right with a new head deck that has subwoofer outputs. Save your money - do it right the first time ... and have less aggrivation!
Infinity makes AWESOME speakers. I've only used Infinity speakers once in my life (my current front pair in my RAV4), and I must admit that they are awesome. I will definitely consider another pair of Infinity speakers in the future (components to replace my coaxials? :wink:).

Thanks for the suggestion about NOT using a line-level convertor for subwoofers. My Clarion head unit has dedicated sub outputs, but say, if I decide to get a newer vehicle in the future, I would have a tough time getting an aftermarket head unit since manufacturers are making it harder for end-users to replace the head unit. Eventually, we'll be stuck with stock head units in our cars without all of the bells and whistles that only come with aftermarket head units (RCA pre-outs, etc.). :roll:

P

·
0 Posts
intresting

I had the same question...and found this information helpfull. I was scared to change the speakers cause I didn't want to loose the steering wheel audio controls. Now I know, that changing speakers is possible without changing the stock head unit.

thanks

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sorry if already covered as I don't have time to read through at the moment.

All I can say is that improving your speakers will improve your sound. However, any signal is only as good as its source and my observations of the RAV stero is that its of very poor sound quality.

You'll see gains from changing the speakers but for huge gains / top quality sound, change the head unit as well for something from one of the top brands - Alpine, Kenwood, Denon. Personally, I wouldn't stray off these 3 - Clarion have been poor in my experience and Pioneer hit and miss.

As for steering wheel controls, I'm sure there must be an interface somewhere that works with OEM. Best ask the manufacturers.

One final point, the Scion head unit fits and many on here have gone for that option, however I understand its very difficult to adapt and being a Toyota fitment, whilst the sound quality is supposed to be a lot better, I still have my personal doubts as to whether or not it can rival a top aftermarket brand.

Al.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts