Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks:
We have a 2014 AWD Rav4 w/ 60K miles. We bought it used last spring and are very happy with it. The current tires are very “tired” and we need some good tires to fit our needs.

My wife drives it mostly highway miles (60+) / day in Western PA.

What we would like is something that would be superior in snow and rain, with good longevity, and cost
$29.99/ tire!
>:D

Failing that how about how about just good performance for a fair price?
Thanks in advance!

BNEX

·
Registered
39 Posts
[quote

My wife drives it mostly highway miles (60+) / day in Western PA.

What we would like is something that would be superior in snow and rain, with good longevity, and cost
$29.99/ tire! [/quote]

I honestly dont think your realistic on price, that and the fact that your wife is driving 60+ miles a day on the highway.

I would put cheep tires on something Im selling not something my wife is commuting with.....just sayn !

Dont cheep out with tires, Look at some good Michelin or other decent tire.......just my $.02

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I apologize!!! I was trying to make a little joke about the price being $29.99 and included an emojii that somehow didn't appear.

Again sorry, I realize they will be a great deal more!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Assume $500-600 for the set by the time you're out the door and work from there. I paid $1K for my Michelins, so - reality check.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I apologize!!! I was trying to make a little joke about the price being $29.99 and included an emojii that somehow didn't appear.

Again sorry, I realize they will be a great deal more!
Haha No problem., I did see the emoji ...fyi ! But good and cheep dont really mix well !

Not sure if you have a TownFair tire in your area, decent prices on good tires !

Just put Michelin Xice 2s on my Daughters Rav4 for the Winter for $550 after a $100 rebate !

Not a bad price and good piece of mind while shes away at school.

Shes driving an 2 hours per day for her clinical rotation at a northern NH hospital right now !
No sense in taking chances for me !

·
Registered
63 Posts
Michelin Premier LTX

Purchased a set of these back in April for our 2014 LTD. Put around 4,000 miles so far.
They've taken a price jump since then. I paid $188 per tire and picked them up from their warehouse. Received a $70 rebate also.
Quiet running with good wet weather traction. Haven't had the opportunity to drive with them in snow yet.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
bnex200 said:
...My wife drives it mostly highway miles (60+) / day in Western PA...
That's a lot of miles and the area can get really severe winters, right? Best idea is to get dedicated winter tires (recommend Nokian Hakapelitta) and then for main 3-seasons great high mileage high quality good riding low noise tire (like the Michelin Defender T+H). I'd also consider the Michelin Premirer LTX but it's rated at 50k miles vs the Defender 80k miles, so would go with Defender since you need the highest miles per tire. The Defender rated one of the best in snow, but still no match for dedicated snow tires.

Or roll the dice and live with lesser performance tires: some noisy, rough-riding el-cheapo all-season, get less mileage, visit the tire shop twice as much. You really do get what you pay for, and need to factor in all your driving requirements to get the proverbial "bang for your buck."

·
Registered
49 Posts
Go to “Tirerack.com” and do some reading. Consider past years weather, how much snow, ice, and rain. Not all snow tires are good on ice or rain.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just put on Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 - waiting for our first snowfall to see how they handle, but so far the ride is fantastic and I commute about 80 round trip each day. They are a 50k tire, but they have gotten excellent reviews as far as the elements go.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I second the recommendation on the General Altimax rt43's. In the winter of 2015, the Boston area had record snowfall and the set on my Rav4 got me through very well. They also do well on ice & in the rain. Plus they're reasonably priced. If you need more testimony, check out tire rack and other reviews online.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts