Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked at the numerous tire threads, and wanted to add one of my own. I recently switched the tires on the wife's 2008 V6 Limited. I had put on new tires in spring 2015, but haven't been very happy with them. I had wanted an A/T tire, but also wanted to keep stock tire size. So when we bought tires last spring, there were only two A/T options: Yokohama Geolander AT/S or Pirelli Scorpion ATR. I was able to get the Pirellis for about $30 less per tire, so I went with them.

This summer, she has complained of poor wet traction, and they weren't that great in the snow last year. So I went looking again, and to my surprise found that I can now get the BFGoodrich T/A KO2 in the stock size of 225/65R17. Swapped them last week, a few days before the big snow here in SE Michigan, and they have been awesome so far. They have the mountain snow flake and have been solid in the snow already. Plus, on TireRack, the KO2 are the #1 rated on/off-road A/T tire (out of 17) based on user reviews. The Pirellis I took off? 14th. Very happy with the decision, and the wife feels much more confident in the car.

So for anyone looking for a tire that's got off-road capability and is good in the snow, too, but doesn't want to change from the factory tire size, I highly recommend these tires.

Oh, and apparently this is my first post, too, so that's cool. It only took me two years to do so...:smile

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Welcome! Good news for you regarding your BF Goodrich tires, and especially your experience with them in snow will be useful info for other owners.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Blogson. Wife was not sure if we should do it, as she's thinking she wants to upgrade to a 4Runner in the next year or so, but I figured if nothing else, having awesome tires can't hurt when selling or trading in. Plus keep us safe in the mean time.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Thanks Blogson. Wife was not sure if we should do it, as she's thinking she wants to upgrade to a 4Runner in the next year or so, but I figured if nothing else, having awesome tires can't hurt when selling or trading in. Plus keep us safe in the mean time.
How's the road noise? I'm on KO2 also. Just did some awesome winter driving on snow and ice, handled great with the traction control doing it's thing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Road noise is really not that bad. I expected it to be worse, honestly. The guy at the tire store was trying to discourage me on them due to their load rating (since they are an LT tire), saying they would be loud and ride hard. They couldn't get the tires for over a month so I ordered on TireRack, and even there it had a warning come up regarding load rating. There is a little more road noise, but the only time I notice it is about an hour into a long drive. Otherwise around town, I don't even notice. And the ride is not overly harsh like the guy from the tire store suggested. I honestly don't even notice a ride difference from the old tires.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts