Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Looks rediculous! In the snow they would be a nightmare. Are these DOT approved or what? I wouldn't pay 5 bucks for them. HIDIOUS! I guess you really need to be into that sort of thing. Call me old fashioned but I prefer the tires with a side on them. Interesting to see that even major corporations waste there time on crap like this. There will never be a set of these parked in my garage thats for sure. M. :roll:

M

·
0 Posts
I saw these a couple of months ago. Still a new concept that needs to be proven or further developed, and might be the very thing for road-only travel. I struggle to imagine how good they'd be offroad, but there's the advantage of no sidewall to get damaged.

I don't like the look of them either, and I wonder how much torque will be lost due to elasticity between the wheel hub and the tread. And that elasticity has the potential to store energy like a snatch-strap, ready to be released when you don't want it. We'll see if Michelin really have moved tyres forward another generation.

J

·
0 Posts
Marcutio said:
Looks rediculous! In the snow they would be a nightmare. Are these DOT approved or what? I wouldn't pay 5 bucks for them. HIDIOUS! I guess you really need to be into that sort of thing. Call me old fashioned but I prefer the tires with a side on them. Interesting to see that even major corporations waste there time on crap like this. There will never be a set of these parked in my garage thats for sure. M. :roll:
Thats what people said about pneumatic tires when they came out (also by micheloin). No one would ever have silly tires that needed AIR to work in them, what a stupid idea!!! Never work out!!! They can cover the tire and make it look like an old-fashioned air tire (circa 2005). I f these things work, no more flats, and no more air. That would be great. I'd take them, without or withtout the fake cover to make it look old....

JON

H

·
0 Posts
I think if they develop them to fit on existing wheels, they might be on to something. Oh, and as long as they wrap the rubber on around the sidewalls like a normal looking tire.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Modderrhu said:
Still a new concept that needs to be proven or further developed.
/me pulls out his 1985 edition of Popular Mechanics which demonstrates the new "Continuously Variable Transmission" (now known and sold on some cars as a "CVT". The funny (and on topic) thing is that the article said the exact same thing about that tranny that you say about those tires.

Others are right though. They would have to add sidewalls to get anyone to take them seriously (at least at first). The torsional shifting in turns is simply too much for them to take right now without the stiffness of a sidewall, but... give it 20 years, and we'll all be riding on them (if we're still driving cars that is). Of course, some people on the silly-looking 24" rims already ride tires with no sidewall as it is :)

(God I feel old sometimes)

Wayne

O

·
0 Posts
There seems to a number of folk who still live in the dark ages, Those horseless cariages will never catch on, Diesel will never replace steam, Aeroplanes have no practical use.....

The Tweel is still under development, but does show promise and may be the replacement for the pneumatic tyre, maybe not but there are those who refuse to look to the future and wish to live in the past, out of masses of new ideas very few come to fruition, but if we do not investigate the many we shall never discover the one

I think that I shall remodel my RAV to look and drive like a Series 1 Landrover :roll:

The Dutch company DAF pioneered the CVT in the late fifties, the technology didnt exist to develop this system for use with large powerfull engines then , but my Polaris quad uses exactly the same system

http://www.ritzsite.demon.nl/DAF/DAF_cars_p1.htm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts