Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what everone is using for replacement tires.
Please let me know what your climate is like too.

I'm looking for new tires, i'm in canada. So we do get snow for 4-5 months of the year.
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
986 Posts
There are quite a few threads here that can be found using the search function.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have Bridgestone Blizzaks (215/70/16) for my winter tires and I've been really happy with them. (We also have snow for 5 months per year.)

·
Registered
771 Posts
Cooper Discoverer M/S. Check out my Album to get a picture of the tread. I'm in NB we get a S#!t Load Too! I find these great in the winter. No matter what A/S tires you get they will all be same in the snow like we get and on Icy roads, (crap). 4X4? Later. M.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
winter tires

I run Goodyear Aquatread 3s for the summer, excellent all around, fantastic in the wet with AWD. Incredibly long lasting, I have three times the mileage on them as the original Toyos already and still very safe. For winter I use Canadian Tire brand Nordic winter trac with studs, and they are absolutely fantastic for the east coast winters and are a good price too.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
If you want to the ultimate safety then buy a second set of rims, even used and run winters as others are suggesting.

As for an all season tire I would go with Michelin Hydro Edge. The Goodyear Assurance on the same level but I believe they don’t have the exact load rating and size. Both these tires have superior longevity, anti aquaplaning characteristics, good snow traction (for all seasons).

If you do decide to go with a set of winters which are far superior traction in the cold, ice, and snow then there are many good ones such as Toyo’s, Yokohama, and Bridgestone’s to name a few. I bought Toyo’s Observes because of a government test named them very aggressive. They are holding up good and the performance is unbelievable.

Good luck,

Walt

·
Registered
53 Posts
:wink:
Hay, hommie. I think our winter should be like 6 months period. The all-season tire cannot produce the traction for winter on both ice and snow. Anyhow, I simply do not trust all-season tires in winter at all. However, all-seasons work okay in Spring and Summer.

For this winter I have already opted a set of Toyo OPEN COUNTRY G-02 plus and with a set of OEM steellies. The bill for my winter set wheels wasn’t that bad, plus they included a set of wheel covers for me FREE(spinners covers cost extra lol).

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i buyed toyo observe go2 thisi year for my girlfriend rav4 2005 for 350$ cdn with rims (tire used only 1 winter!!!) I put 215/70r16, i dont recommend putting 235 on winters because they are too large and will make the car harder to keep in straight line

·
Registered
53 Posts
carmusic said:
i buyed toyo observe go2 thisi year for my girlfriend RAV4 2005 for 350$ cdn with rims (tire used only 1 winter!!!) I put 215/70r16, i dont recommend putting 235 on winters because they are too large and will make the car harder to keep in straight line
:shock:
Can you hook me up those deals by PM? $350 CAD with rims are just unbeatable.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Summer: Cooper Discoverer H/T 215/70-16
Winter: Cooper Discoverer M/S 215/70-16

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cal_Rav said:
carmusic said:
i buyed toyo observe go2 thisi year for my girlfriend RAV4 2005 for 350$ cdn with rims (tire used only 1 winter!!!) I put 215/70r16, i dont recommend putting 235 on winters because they are too large and will make the car harder to keep in straight line
:shock:
Can you hook me up those deals by PM? $350 CAD with rims are just unbeatable.
they are used tires from personnals ads, so they're no more avalaible, i have search for about a month on personnal ads to find such a deal!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
P235/60HR-16 Kumho ECSTA HP4 716 from tirerack.com

We finally put these on and I'm really happy with the feel of the ride. It feels really smooth.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
P235/60HR-16 Kumho ECSTA HP4 716 from tirerack.com
The Kumo's look like good handling tires but for the Canadian winter months i would go a bit more aggressive if i had only one set of All Seasons.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Goodrich Traction T/A's

I just got 4 235-60 16' Traction T/A's for our L. Huge difference in dry.

We just got a dusting Sunday AM, and drove down the hill(I live 3 miles uphill from town), and could stop from a CRAWL at the bottom. Paid $550 installed, and wife is BS. Claims she never had trouble with her old Windstar and crap snow tires!!!

Now I gotta find some steelies and some snows!!!

Chris

·
Registered
771 Posts
Traction T/A is a great tire! Good choice. Hear many positive things about these and would buy a set for myself. Maybe soon.

A couple of us on here now have Highlander Steelies on our RAV's for winter. Huge inventory in California. I guess the Alloy market there is huge. Great price, great wheel. Check the pics.

Later. M.

·
Registered
875 Posts
BF Goodrich Traction T/A's

I haven't noticed the "huge difference in dry" climates, but i have noticed:

1) a lot quieter. Even my friend who helped me install them noticed and he doesn't ride with me often. Apparently the difference was that extreme. I sensed it too.

2) More traction in the wet. I drive wet as if it's dry. After going through a puddle, it does not skid or feel like i am not in control. it speeds through 1" of water as if it were regular dry climate.

I'm a super duper crazy researching freak and after going through a gillion reviews I found BF Goodrich Traction T/A's to be reviewed the best. It does depend on your weather condition though.

DOWNSIDE:

1) Price: At $135 a pop, it definitely has the pricetag of the performance tire that it is. I found SEARS was selling the same one during a sale for $110 or so. Definitely head to sears during their sales or anytime if you got one near you. Some places will offer a AAA discount.

REMEMBER:

1) to use a place that will offer free tire rotation. Big 'O Tire does that and it's an excellent benefit....but does not outway the cheaper price of Sears for another 40,000 miles (assuming a typical $12-15 price for tire rotation if you don't do it yourself).

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Traction T/As on Rav... That sounds like a good idea. I had them on my 99 Lexus GS, quiet, good traction and lasted well, even on a heavier car driven much harder.I really liked them, might look at them for my rav when the time comes arounf Good luck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts