Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I recently bought a 2002 AWD 2.0 engine, 5 speed manual transmission with 88,000 miles. I am wondering if there are any potential trouble spots with this year of RAV4 that I should be on the lookout for?

I have heard of oil sludge issues with Toyotas and don't know if this is due to infrequent oil changes, oil type or something else. I am using Castrol 5W 30 high mileage oil in the vehicle and change oil every 3000 miles.

Also have heard of problem with 5th gear in higher mileage manual transmission RAV4's.

Appreciate all input to keep my RAV4 running a long time.

Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Welcome, Mark! Forum members with experience with 2002 RAVs should be able to answer your queries.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The only thing I heard of with the 2000-2003 models was the ECM on the auto tranny. I have not heard of a problem with the 5th gear popping out on the 4.2, just the 4.1 RAV's. A problem I had with mine was the cat converter went out. I bought an OBD II reader from Amazon for $18.00 and would reset the engine light when it went off. I finally got tired of it and just had the cat replaced. No sludge on mine as far as I know. Have all the fluids replaced on your 4wd system, brakes etc. These are pretty tough little SUV's and excellent in snow, ice, heavy rain. If you take care of it it will take care of you!

Btw, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. Sound like I have bought a winner with a RAV4.

I am thinking oil sludge problems are more due to infrequent oil changes than anything.

Mark

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2001 5 speed that I bought with 131,000 a few months ago. I've had to replace the ecm and currently experience the rattle of the gear shift in 5th gear, just haven't addressed it yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts