Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am new to the whole Rav4 world. Until the 2006 model was released, I was not interested in it as it was not my style. With the redesign and many of its features, it has gone to the top of my list for my next car purchase, which will be this fall.

I'm hoping to get a little bit more detail about details that are important to me on my next car purchase.

1. I see that the euro version has a very detailed info center where the odometer is. I am looking for real-time gas mileage, distance to empty (DTE), avg MPG, etc.. Does the US version have these features. At least it has a temp display. If not, is it going to be included in the 07 model or a revision or some type?

2. I know that satellite radio is not even an option, which concerns me that a car company can be that turned off to market demand. (But thats another discussion). Are there any plans to include SAT radio in the future. Mainly Sirius as that is what I currently have for my Xterra.

3. Does anyone know where I can go to get decibel stats for inside cabin noise at various speeds for this and other vehicles. Most sites charge research fees and I want to make sure the info is available before I spend money.

4. How is the transmission? How smooth is it? The Mazda 6 I bought last year had a crappy tranny and I am kicking myself every time I drive it. Main reason why its my wife's car now.

5. What is the true gas mileage of the vehicle, how many miles do you get on a tank of fuel? I compute 45 miles each way to work so that is important to me. I am considering a 4cyl 4x4 Limited.

Answer to any or all of these are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Re: New to RAV World - Considering Purchase

I have had a 4 cyl 4wd Limited since jan 3rd. LOVE it. Trans is DEAD smooth and its shift are almost inprecievable.

Gas mileage is 30 on the highway (doing speeed limit) and 23 around the city in bumper to bumber traffic.

The truck is VERY quiet. Camry like quiet for sure..

The US version does NOT have the Euro trip computer (do not knwo why, wish it did)

After being used to a mazda you will LOVE the new Rav..

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dover,

Do yourself a tremendous favor, dont even consider the 4! Stick with the 6. The gas milage is terrific for the power you have at hand. As long as you are gentle with the gas, your milage will be close to the fours.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One of the first things I noticed is that there was a very low amount of wind/road noise.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I probally won't be buying one until the 07 specs get released. Maybe Toyota will add some more options that will make it even more appealing.

I am a more than a little disappointed with the lack of some basics that should be available. (When you have so many models in a particular category, it's the basics that make or break a deal)

1) The lack of the US models having the ability to do MPG, DTE, AVG calculations is silly, especially when it already exists on the Euro versions.

2) Being a Satellite radio subscriber (Sirius, and loving it). I am almost to a point where I would not purchase a new vehicle that did not include Satellite radio as an OEM option.

3) I have read more of this forum and I really see that the V6 owners are pationate about their fuel consumption compared to the 4 bangers. Ultimately, my concern is the total amount of miles you get on a tank of fuel. I am looking for at least 350 miles per tank. My Xterra rarely breaks 250 miles per tank and it drives me nuts.

I guess aside from test driving to get a good idea of the road noise, how is the Rav4's track record over time. Almost all vehciles sound great when they are brand new. It's the ones that sound great after 3 or 4 years that are worth their value. I know this is a new design, so the jury will probally be out on this one for some time.

Again, thanks for the replies.

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Despite my hopes of the superior multifunction information display making it to North America, I don't expect it to anytime soon. Certainly not by next year -- maybe in two or three if Toyota feels froggy.

Dovergeek said:
3. Does anyone know where I can go to get decibel stats for inside cabin noise at various speeds for this and other vehicles. Most sites charge research fees and I want to make sure the info is available before I spend money.
From the Car & Driver Review:
INTERIOR SOUND LEVEL
Idle: 35 dBA
Full-throttle acceleration: 75 dBA
70-mph cruising: 68 dBA

Dovergeek said:
2) Being a Satellite radio subscriber (Sirius, and loving it). I am almost to a point where I would not purchase a new vehicle that did not include Satellite radio as an OEM option.
Check out sstarrx3's PanaVise XM installation... Looks nice!

flyingn: Or... If you have a lead foot... :wink: 8) Our V6 RAV would give the VW GTI's "Fast" a run for its money! :twisted:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts