Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, i just bought a 2002 RAV4 2.2 auto awd with 18,000 miles and have a few question to ask. 1st how is the gas mileage on these?., 2nd are they dependable. This is my first ever foreign auto EVER i have always owned american trucks but i have a 60 mile drive each day each way and looked at all the american auto's and found nothing to compare with the RAV4. I needed something that gets good mileage and is dependable. I hope this works for me. I drive a Ford F-150 and its been a great truck but i needed gas mileage so the RAV4 will be my comute auto. Thanks and i look forward to all the information on this board to help me get started. thanks

regards Jim

·
Registered
986 Posts
My gas mileage is around 22 in town and 26 on the highway, and it goes down a little during the winter because of winter gas. I tend to have a lead foot, and I get stuck in traffic all the time wherever I go, so I'm sure that doesn't help the mileage. I think any mileage that averages in the mid-twenties is normal for a Rav.

As for the reliability, my Rav is at 71K miles and all that has needed to be fixed was the catalytic converter (under warranty for me) which is a common 2001 model problem. My Rav has only been serviced by the dealer one time, and that was for the above mentioned issue; all other maintenance I do myself. I replaced the front brake pads once myself at 60K miles, but I guess that is considered maintenance as opposed to repair. Other than that I haven't had to fix or change anything else, except normal fluid and filter changes. I've used Mobil 1 5W30 with a Toyota filter since my Rav was almost new, and change it every 5-6K miles.

By the way the engine is a 2.0L not a 2.2L

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thank you for your input and i stand corrected. This is my 1st 4 cylinder engine i always had v8's so this is going b to be a big time difference for me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts