Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't own a Rav4, however it is on my short list of potential cars.The Subaru Forester, Ford Escape, and Honda CR-V are the other choices.
First and foremost is reliability. Toyotas seem to have a good track record for that.
So i'm basically here to get feedback from current Rav owners.What you like or dont like about your Rav's.
I dont want to make a hasty decision. I want to be sure of my choice.
I have some questions regarding accessories, but i'll post them in the right forum.

I also want to say this will probably be my last car. I was diagnosed with leukemia this year and although its a slow growing cancer, things can change for the worse at any time.
I did check Toyotas website, but they don't show the 2016 RAV models yet.
Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Bob, so sorry to hear of your illness. It can be beaten and hope that you are able to do just that.

All excellent vehicle choices you've listed and being familiar with all of them I would place them in order of priority thus -

Honda CRV
Subaru Forrester
Toyota Rav
Ford Escape

Being a die-hard Toyo fan, I had to dig deep to put the Rav in 3rd position, but the first two are hard to beat, especially the CRV (the diesel models are pretty awesome with unbelievable fuel economy). Build quality tops the Rav IMO, which is a bit 'plastic-y' with a bit more road noise coming through.

That said, it's still a tough choice. Good luck. :wink:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mud dog,
Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm hanging in there. Well I guess I'm just gonna do some more research,test drivie,and make a decision.

·
Registered
934 Posts
There is a problem with vibration with the CRV ,google it, would not buy one till it gets fixed which so far Honda has not done.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow!
Lots of vibration issues with the CRV's. That worries me. So now I'm going to focus on the Toyota RAV,Subaru Forrester, and possibly the Kia Sportage.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Wow!
Lots of vibration issues with the CRV's. That worries me. So now I'm going to focus on the Toyota RAV,Subaru Forrester, and possibly the Kia Sportage.
My brother has a 2012 CRV which is a great vehicle. The new one's have the CVT Trans and not so great. I have a 2009 Rav bought new which is the best vehicle I have owed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought the vibration issues were with the 2016 models.
I assumed they were already out.
I called Honda corporate and they told me they don't have a date yet when the 2016 Hondas will be shipped to the dealers

·
Registered
934 Posts
I thought the vibration issues were with the 2016 models.
I assumed they were already out.
I called Honda corporate and they told me they don't have a date yet when the 2016 Hondas will be shipped to the dealers
Rough-Idle Complaints Roll In For 2015 CR-V: Honda Working On Fix

It seems to be connected to the CVT trans and the low idle that is programmed into the ECM so the mileage that they can claim would be achieved. Probably an easy fix to raise the idle but than you would not get the same MPG.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was talking to my mechanic tonight.
He worked many years at a large Toyota dealership in Los Angeles.
Now he runs his own shop and works mainly on Toyotas and Hondas.
He said many of his customers own RAV's and like them. He thinks they are a good car.
But I still want to test drive a few cars before making my choice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts