Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just purchased a 2013 XLE yesterday. 32k miles. My wife is over the moon with this vehicle. Has a lot of luxuries we didn't have in our previous primary vehicle such as sunroof or NAV or even better - separate HVAC controls so I can be cool and she can be hot.

We weren't looking for a Toyota. We were shopping for a used car and chose a dealer at random after many unfruitful attempts to negotiate an acceptable deal on several Santa Fe. The salesman showed us the Rav4 first and then that was it. There would be no other car for us.

Anyway, when test driving I noticed that there is a lot of vibration and humming coming from the tires. They appear to be the original tires - Continental Crosscontact. I tried getting the dealer to replace them or even meet me half way to replace them when we were negotiating but no go (I think our eagerness to purchase this vehicle was too obvious). But the tires meet certifcation requirements so they wouldn't hear anything about changing them.

I then thought that I can probably live with the tires but even the limited amount of driving I have done and these tires are driving me crazy.

Can anyone confirm that the tires are in fact the issue? Or is there another underlying issue that you all know about that causes the humming and vibration?

Thanks and glad to join the group. Looking forward to many many many years with this car.

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
The vibration could be a tire balance issue. Suggest either having the dealer check it out (should be a part of buying the vehicle) or have them authorize a tire shop to do that. The humming probably is a part of the tire design - most SUV tires will make some noise because of the tread design. But if it is annoying then new tires are the only way out - but make certain that new tires won't cause the same noise problem - reading car and consumer magazine reviews would be helpful.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First thing I checked was the air pressure. They're bang on 33 lbs.

The vibration doesn't feel like a balancing issue, more like when you have an aggressive tread or if the tires are not quite round.

I've driven another 100 miles with them - I don't like them but I think I can probably live with it for a little while and get new tires before the snow flies.
\

Thank you for the replies.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Those are the tires I had and just replaced them at 38000 in May. I put on a slightly taller tire from yokomoto with all season tread for Colorado Mountains and they are quieter than the originals. During the winter I have to used studded snow tires and after those, I'll never complain about noise again. Lol.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Welcome.

Having been a RAV owner since 2006 I have gone through quite a few tires. That said, I just replaced the OEM Continentals on our 2014 with the "New" Michelin Defender LTX. This is not the previous LTX. It's a new compound, and comes in sizes for compact SUV's since last Dec. These are by far the best tires I have ever had on any of our RAV4's. We have 5,000 on them. They are amazing in the wet, and dry. They are smooth, quiet, and have a 60,000 Tread Life. They are 680 AA.

They are not inexpensive. However they are now the highest rated tires in Consumer Reports, and on the Tire Rack. I would look at them.

Reactions: LongRifle

·
Registered
134 Posts
+1 on the General Altimax RT43 tires. I also have a 13 XLE . Been running on the Generals for about 6k miles. These tires quieted and softened the ride considerably. Tread wear has been good. Traction in wet and snow is excellent. I highly recommend them as do many people. Check out the reviews on Tire rack. I don't doubt the Michelins are very good but are considerably more expensive than the Generals and no better IMO.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sounds like the tires. I put General Altimax RT43 on my older RAV and they are about the nicest tire you can get for the money. I always had Michelins, but the huge cracks in the tread area on numerous sets got me paranoid.
Just got a set of the same for my daughters 2012 RAV as they are a great all around tire.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Sounds like the tires. I put General Altimax RT43 on my older RAV and they are about the nicest tire you can get for the money. I always had Michelins, but the huge cracks in the tread area on numerous sets got me paranoid.
Regarding Altimax RT43, I used to praise them but not so much anymore.
For the first 6 months of use, they were fantastic.
Now, they squeal whenever I start from a complete stop and I am gentle on the throttle of my I4.
ALso, I was unpleasantly suprised by the lack of wet grip. Almost had an accident.
I only have about 8000 miles at the most on them.

My next tire might be Firestone LE2.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
+1 on the General Altimax RT43 tires. I also have a 13 XLE . Been running on the Generals for about 6k miles. These tires quieted and softened the ride considerably. Tread wear has been good. Traction in wet and snow is excellent. I highly recommend them as do many people. Check out the reviews on Tire rack. I don't doubt the Michelins are very good but are considerably more expensive than the Generals and no better IMO.
The Defender LTX is really too new of a tire to compare against anything. It's not the Defender XT or the LTX M/S.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've been running the Michelin Premier LTX for about 10,000 km. now and they are great. They are quiet, responsive and on wet roads, they stick like gum to a shoe. I will be doing a full review once I switch over to my winter tires and have some autumn driving on these Premier LTX's.

You can read all about them for yourself below:

MichelinÂ*Premier LTX

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've been running the Michelin Premier LTX for about 10,000 km. now and they are great. They are quiet, responsive and on wet roads, they stick like gum to a shoe. I will be doing a full review once I switch over to my winter tires and have some autumn driving on these Premiers LTX's.

you can read for yourself below:

MichelinÂ*Premier LTX

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,729 Posts
I've got over 20,000 miles on my Bridgestone Ecopia tires and they are wearing evenly with rotations at every oil change. Plenty of tread left, handling on dry and wet roads is excellent. So much better than the Yoko Geolandars it came with.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the replies. I do appreciate it.

Just moved and had to do renos.... too busy to get on the ol' puter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts