Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it correct that I have to have Toyota read/reset my new to me aftermarket wheels with TPMS sensors? Where is this reset button? Do I have to remove the cover under the steering wheel to access it? 2017 Hybrid Limited.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yeah, I'm going through the same thing with my wife's Camry. We are putting on aftermarket wheels from Tire Rack. Thus we have to put on new TPMS sensors as we are keeping the original steel wheels for winter tires. I checked all over, and everybody says the dealership only can program them. It's a racket. Toyota can only have one set of sensors at a time. That means when we put back on the original steel rims, they will have to program it again. After talking with the dealership, they will keep our original sensor numbers so they can program back-n-forth easier. Sigh.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Is it correct that I have to have Toyota read/reset my new to me aftermarket wheels with TPMS sensors? Where is this reset button? Do I have to remove the cover under the steering wheel to access it? 2017 Hybrid Limited.
You can install techstream with mini vci cable to change TPMS sensor ID'S. You just have to write down the numbers of the old and new ones before you add the new ones. So when you change back you will have the correct sensor ID'S.

Some people who change to winter tires just leave the light on or put a piece of tape over it so when they put the summer tires back on everything is all set.

Here's a thread on Techstream

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/92711-toyota-techstream-mvci.html

Heres a video of techstream and tpms

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm, sucks. a strange thing happened to me yesterday. I got the tire pressure warning light and assumed that it was because the "new" TPMS sensors where not "registered" to the car. But then last night and today the light is out? Don't know what that's all about.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Was it cold out yesterday. The air pressure might have gone down enough to set off the Tpms and when it got warmer it brought the pressure back up

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Was it cold out yesterday. The air pressure might have gone down enough to set off the Tpms and when it got warmer it brought the pressure back up
If it's that close, either your pressure is too low, or your TPMS is calibrated too high.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
If it's that close, either your pressure is too low, or your TPMS is calibrated too high.
True.. Thats what I said. Mine go off every year at the first real cold day.. Mine are calibrated at 26psi from factory. Like most people who have TPMS they dont check the tire pressure unless the light goes on....

·
Registered
30 Posts
"Toyota can only have one set of sensors at a time" In my Toyota RAV4H can have two (2) sets of sensors at a time!

Uti

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if anything the temps keep getting colder. is there a tool like Scangauge that you can use to adjust speedo for tire size?

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
"Toyota can only have one set of sensors at a time" In my Toyota RAV4H can have two (2) sets of sensors at a time!
Techstream allows for up to 8 serial numbers to be stored, but only 4 may be active.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
If you spend a meager $83K dollars on a Land Cruiser, you get a switch to go from summer tires to winter tires. How convenient!

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
If you spend a meager $83K dollars on a Land Cruiser, you get a switch to go from summer tires to winter tires. How convenient!
If I had $83k to spend on a vehicle, I'd have houses in Florida and Michigan so I wouldn't have to switch from summer tires to winter tires :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts