Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an issue with my old trans not going into reverse and shifting into second gear. Well i got a used trans and it goes into reverse but shifts hard into 2nd gear same issue i basically had with old trans what do u think is going in with it? Like when i gift is gas in drive even feels like it dont want to go.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Did you have the ECU repaired or replaced? The ECU is usually the problem. Are you aware the big ECU issue with the early 4.2's?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes i heard about it about to send it off to asi and get it repaired. Has anyone done this and it fix the issue?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yes, the ECU usually is the cause, and repairing it usually fixes the issue. There are many people who have successfully solved the problem by replacing or repairing the ECU.

I recently sent an ECU off to mandigital on eBay (aka, "digitalguy", David Ruberg), who offers repairs with a lifetime warranty for about $72. He replaces the resistors entirely -- he doesn't just re-solder them, and he doesn't put JB Weld all over the board and make a mess like some repair places do. He also re-flashes the ECU and tests it in his '01 Rav4 before sending it back. He has an included lifetime warranty and excellent feedback scores. He was very fast in repairing it -- he sent it back to me the day after he received it.

I had re-soldered the resistors myself on another ECU to test it on an '01 that was suspected to have a faulty transmission, but it turned out to be the ECU. I sent a different ECU to David to have it professionally repaired and re-flashed, and to have the peace of mind that hopefully it won't need to be repaired ever again (my soldering is pretty horrendous, and I have no idea how to remove those tiny resistors without breaking something I shouldn't!).

·
Registered
61 Posts
For my own clarification, is the ECU and ECM the same thing we're just using different letters? And what is the actual item that needs to be rebuilt if your transmission is slipping? I'm hoping to get it sent off this weekend.
Thanks
Kevin

·
Super Moderator
11,248 Posts
For my own clarification, is the ECU and ECM the same thing we're just using different letters?
Yes the terms Electronic Control Unit and Electronic Control Module refer to the same part and are confusingly used interchangeably.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok guys got ecu back from asi. Installed it started it up so far its working perfect. No harsh shift so far.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts