Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

201 - 213 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Well, I have changed the oil first time on my 2011. The little plug is like welded in the big case, and that big case was rotating very easy. I think it was never removed in 9 years.
I had to leave it as it was, no draining, and removed the whole the big case. A lot of oil dripped around it, but it was all in the catch pan...
Changed the big gasket and filter and put it back in.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi guys
Want to do my first oil change
What kind of wrench I should get?
I see 3 different wrenches at local Canadian tire
4 cut, 6 cut, just black steel cap
20200429_185415.jpg 20200429_185427.jpg 20200429_185422.jpg

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,606 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Get the cast metal.

In my case, the middle thing was tightened so much that it's like welded to the outside. So my wrench square unscrews the whole assembly, I bought the wrench for nothing.
I might replace that one day, but for now it worked fine like that, just had more oil leaking on the outside of the filter case, that I had wiped.

·
Super Moderator
9,888 Posts
In my case, the middle thing was tightened so much that it's like welded to the outside. So my wrench square unscrews the whole assembly, I bought the wrench for nothing.
I might replace that one day, but for now it worked fine like that, just had more oil leaking on the outside of the filter case, that I had wiped.
I do mine the same way, just take the whole thing off with my breaker bar, pop in a new filter, add some oil and screw it back on. Once in many changes I use a chain wrench or the vise to remove the end and change that o-ring.

Reactions: SoNic67

·
Registered
429 Posts
I tried to use my battery-powered impact gun to release that and didn't budge. Being made of aluminum probably once somebody tightens it to the "melting point", there is no going back...
That was the first oil change on my ownership. Sadly one month later we all got quarantined and working from home. I miss my "me" time driving home from work and listening to my music.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Hi guys
Want to do my first oil change
What kind of wrench I should get?
I see 3 different wrenches at local Canadian tire
4 cut, 6 cut, just black steel cap
View attachment 151863 View attachment 151864 View attachment 151865
The first one for is made for the 4 cylinder. The third is made for the V6. Avoid the black one. I highly recommend you get a 3/8 torque wrench because you can apply too much torque using these tool with a wrench. Taking the filter off with this tool is a breeze if it is torque properly. If you have the plastic oil filter housing be very careful removing this because you can easily break it when removing a tight filter. Also note that if you have the aluminum oil filter you can actually use the first or third wrench. I have an aluminum oil filter and both the first and third wrench work on my V6.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I tried to use my battery-powered impact gun to release that and didn't budge. Being made of aluminum probably once somebody tightens it to the "melting point", there is no going back...
That was the first oil change on my ownership. Sadly one month later we all got quarantined and working from home. I miss my "me" time driving home from work and listening to my music.
I think I can help you remove it. You need a tight fitting oil filter wrench to remove a very tight oil filter. I have the Assenmacher Toy640 and that removed a tight oil filter. I accidentally over tighten it to the point my oil filter wrench broke with a two foot breaker bar. I thought I was loosening it but was doing the opposite. This is a very tight fitting oil filter wrench which worked on my metal oil filter for the V6. Long story short I used the Toy640 to remove my oil filter which was on super tight.

·
Registered
429 Posts
The main casing is easy to remove. The middle part, small, is not coming out. Maybe somebody cross threaded it before, or use an impact to put it back on (that's what happens when you the oil changes at shops that are big national chains, with low wage HS kids working part-time).
That middle being stuck is more of an aesthetic thing, it's there you can drain the fluid in a cleaner way trough it. I saw replacements on Rockauto for like $18. Maybe next oil change...

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
The main casing is easy to remove. The middle part, small, is not coming out. Maybe somebody cross threaded it before, or use an impact to put it back on (that's what happens when you the oil changes at shops that are big national chains, with low wage HS kids working part-time).
That middle being stuck is more of an aesthetic thing, it's there you can drain the fluid in a cleaner way trough it. I saw replacements on Rockauto for like $18. Maybe next oil change...
I guess you need to take the housing off and put it in a vice. It appears the person who tighten it just did it the lazy method by turning the center drain super tight so they can turn the center drain to remove the entire filter. Probably the mechanic does not have the proper wrench or too lazy to look for it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just did today my first oil change on V6, $10 filter wrench from local Canadian Tire did job well, no idea why so many bad reviews about this on their website.
It was really tight to put filter wrench on because aluminum cap had some road dirt, after clean with brake cleaner it's fit perfectly. Also was impossible to loose filter cap so need to use some long metal pipe like extension for wrench.
I didn't play with center little piece and just take off whole filter cap. I'm glad previous owner used middle range Fram Tough Guard filter, I put Fram XG9972 Ultra Guard, hope couple bucks more worth engine protection. Oil my favorite Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30 5l and top up about 1 litre 5w-20 leftover from my CR-V, should be good.
Sounds like engine run slight quieter, smother, easier push to 5-6000 rpm after oil change, gas mileage should be slight better too.
Thanks guys

201 - 213 of 213 Posts