Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
those are cool man!, never seen such a thing in Australia, and they sound like you ran over a truck load of screws, but they would be fantastic on a bugout vehicle that's operating in the alpine regions over here :D

just how loud are they at 100kph?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
those are cool man!, never seen such a thing in Australia, and they sound like you ran over a truck load of screws, but they would be fantastic on a bugout vehicle that's operating in the alpine regions over here :D

just how loud are they at 100kph?
Well, these tires are Rated for over 300km/h! I'm hoping to find a big enough frozen lake that snowmobilers use to test it out!

But on dry pavement, once over 100km/h they just sound like regular winters, they buzz and hum, but the studs kind of tuck themselves back into the tire at high speeds.

It's, well, kind of like; Nuts ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Been reading up on your threads. Absolutely amazing build. I spend the year split between lower mainland and northern AB, would love to check out your beast in person at some point.

How are the Hakks? I've wanted to get a set for a long time, had Bridgestone Blizzaks and Michelin X-Ices on my cars for the last few years. The studs must make hell of a difference on ice.

Here is mine after a nasty freezing rain/wet snow storm last night. Front driver and passenger doors were frozen shut from the ice, had to crawl to the mid doors to kick them out. Also need to order another 225/70/16 for the spare.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Been reading up on your threads. Absolutely amazing build. I spend the year split between lower mainland and northern AB, would love to check out your beast in person at some point.

How are the Hakks? I've wanted to get a set for a long time, had Bridgestone Blizzaks and Michelin X-Ices on my cars for the last few years. The studs must make hell of a difference on ice.

Here is mine after a nasty freezing rain/wet snow storm last night. Front driver and passenger doors were frozen shut from the ice, had to crawl to the mid doors to kick them out. Also need to order another 225/70/16 for the spare.

Looks great! I'd like those fender flares. I wish I could do some of that offroading stuff but with Poly bushings in cold weather I swear my stereo will shake itself out of the dash :)

The Hakka 8's are incredible. The video speaks for itself. We have them on the Caldina and the Rav4 I've got Five of them on the Rav. Because they are directional, and I'm obessive about even tire wear and tire rotation,It'll cost me $100 this winter to flip the tires 4 times ($20 each). too keep up with the Rearward Cross AWD Full size spare tire rotation.

I drove from Calgary to Fort Mac a bunch of times, and have hit extreme weather and very icy conditions, and have driven the Rockies in crazy weather with the Hakka 8's. In the Caldina, but this will be my first winter with the Rav4 GTT on them.

My opinion of AWD is unshakable, I'll never drive a two wheeled car again, (Dohhh, Want a Mk4 JDM Supra) and I'll never live in a place where I'm not allowed, or go another Winter without the Nokian Hakka 8's. It's not about the studs, it's about the company who builds the tire, the technology behind it (extremely light yet very strong studs) and I mean there are like 190 of them per tire! I'm sure the Hakka 7's without the studs are great but no thanks.

I'ts like how when you're ice skating and you're speeding to the corner and you just dig in and carve around the corner. If the corner is pure ice, with cars in the ditch on both sides of the road, you just turn the steering wheel with the curve of the road and the tires dig in like a pair of sharp Skates.

You CAN loose traction though, Momentum, too much speed can do you in. But if you drive according to the conditions your engine will freeze solid before the tires give up.

My Wife thanking Dirty Dina for her winter mountain climbing abilities. (Summit of Rogers Pass BC Rockies)

·
Registered
599 Posts
That looks very cool!, I need to throw some M/S tires on Bluey and get him up to the snowfields next winter :D. I always give him a quick kiss or hug for getting me through a good hard run!, Since he just turned over 410,000km today I think I need to get that camper fitout started and source a second set of wheels to put some heavy offroad tires on :D

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That looks very cool!, I need to throw some M/S tires on Bluey and get him up to the snowfields next winter :D. I always give him a quick kiss or hug for getting me through a good hard run!, Since he just turned over 410,000km today I think I need to get that camper fitout started and source a second set of wheels to put some heavy offroad tires on :D
I'm thinking of doing a video where I show the components of the camping system for a YouTube video, It could save you some guesswork on how to build it or dimensions or whatever. stay tuned? :)

·
Registered
599 Posts
I'm thinking of doing a video where I show the components of the camping system for a YouTube video, It could save you some guesswork on how to build it or dimensions or whatever. stay tuned? :)
That would be really cool to see mate!, I will be doing mine more as a single sleeper, but working around the wheel wells and making the floor will take some figuring out, I usually do metal work not plywood :p

I figure I will make mine wide enough for my single self-inflating mattress, with a 1" raised lip to stop it sliding off the side, on the other side will be storage bins and a camp stove, no attaching stuff to the rear door unless really needed.
Underneath will just be a storage space big enough to slide a large lockable rifle case and ammo case, pinned in position for security (might take some fancy metal work)

The main idea is to make it so I can slide the front passenger seat forwards and set up the bed (drop down pillow panel) keep the drives seat in position, and have the rear drivers door as the main access in and out. I need some nice window blinds/shades tho, what kind are you using?

·
Registered
7 Posts
We must have took 3-4 round trips from Calgary to Vancouver during the winters with the RAV4 when I was younger. Beautiful scenery.

Dedicated snow tires make all the difference in the world. Outside of lower mainland, they should be mandatory for all of Canada IMO during the winter. We used to drive our 550i and 335i with Blizzaks/X-Ices and they were very manageable. The only time when it got hairy was when it was on ice. Fwd would be easy. The tires are still mounted on the cars this year but we probably won't drive them that much due to having next to no ground clearance.

The snow rated A/T tires are okay. They have the proper sipes but the compound is still hard for below freezing. Braking is mediocre.

I run Hankook DynaPro AT-Ms on the Rav4 and Goodyear Wranglers A/T's on my wifes F150. Both are snow rated. The F150 also has rear LSD.

·
Registered
654 Posts
i have hakka 5 with studs on my 4.2 fun little vehicle to drive just need people to get out of my way
they are about 7-8 years old, dont show any wear at all, are super soft
they may be super expensive but i will never buy a different winter tire again
have xice2 on our uplander van and the wife and i absolutely hate them, when i get them its getting hakka 8s with studs

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Man, am I jealous. We cannot run studded tires in Minnesota, but out-of-state people can if they are legal in your state/country.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, those laws are idiotic. The laws about studded tires were developed long before NOKIAN's factory studded Hakkapelitta 8 tires were developed, apparently this was to prevent "steel" studs from flying out and injuring people or something? NOKIAN uses a strange kind of alloy stud, which is very light, and not as prone to "throwing".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts