Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Cool, cool, Carol! 8)

Hopefully you won't have to re-lace and replace it every couple years like the steering wheel covers of yore...

That flare on the T-chrome almost blinded me! LOL Hope you can still see after taking that pic! :wink:

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Tony. I took several pictures and picked that one specifically for that touch. :lol:

It didn't take as long as I thought it would. Only about 45 min. The mfg said it would take less than an hour. I sure hope I don't have to replace it in a couple of years. I hope I can find the nylon if I ever need to relace. The leather is much thicker than ones I've seen in the stores and it fits almost perfectly. There's just a tiny bit of cupping on the bottom spoke but great otherwise.

The grip is very nice and comfortable. And it was pretty reasonable priced.

·
Registered
875 Posts
reasonably priced at $50. I was gunna get that too...except it was gunna be two toned with black and grey. I decided not to get it based on how it looks after other people have installed it. Just seems a bit beefy. Still looks cool i guess. Maybe one day i'll change my mind.

Glad you're having fun with yours. And thnx for sharing the photos! Best threads on this forum are the ones with contributors like yourself. Drive safe.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
zoomie said:
reasonably priced at $50. I was gunna get that too...except it was gunna be two toned with black and grey. I decided not to get it based on how it looks after other people have installed it. Just seems a bit beefy. Still looks cool i guess. Maybe one day i'll change my mind.

Glad you're having fun with yours. And thnx for sharing the photos! Best threads on this forum are the ones with contributors like yourself. Drive safe.
Thanks for the kind words, zoomie.

I used to have a rubber one on my other car and that was beefy! Too much padding. This one actually feels pretty good without adding too much thickness. I don't mind it since I prefer a thicker steering wheel anyway.

BTW, I got mine on sale for $29 w/$6 s&h for the one tone. I think 2 tones were $10 more (??). I was considering the 2 tone one too (burgundy and black) but didn't like the looks in the pictures. Besides, who can go wrong with black? And if I didn't like it, I had a 90 day no questions asked money back guarantee (minus the return shipment).

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
I kinda like the look of the EuroPerf perforated leather Wheelskins better than the plain, but I agree about the two-tone... A bit to much for my tastes... Even in what should be a sedate combination of black and grey.

I requested color swatches, so maybe that'll change my mind after I see them in real life...

They retail for $55 though! :shock: (found a reseller for $40 + $7 shipping though)

About the cupping: I noticed they don't specifically say there's one for the 2006 -- maybe the steering wheel size has gotten a little smaller?

Wheelskins says the '01-'05 is:
Outside steering wheel diameter 14 1/2 inches
Grip circumference: 3 7/8 inches

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tony, the wheel size is the same as the 2005 model. I got size C and diameter fits perfect. I actually didn't find this on Wheelskin's site (odd) but found the info on 2 other distributors' site. I also did a quick measure just to confirm.

I think I got a tiny bit of cupping at the very bottom because I might have missed a hole in the back. I also didn't have it completely lined up in the middle, which is why there's a little less coverage in the front than in the back. It was dark when I did it and was using the flashlight to try to count out the holes in the back. I was way too lazy to redo it (going completely against my OCD tendencies).

I like the perforated leather and I think it's only $2 more. I went back to the site I "think" I ordered it from and it listed the black as $33, not $29. The perforated is $35. Still $6 S&H. I'll double check when I get home. The site is:

http://www.automotiveinteriors.com/accessories/interior/steeringwheel_covers/wheel_covers.htm

The one thing I noticed today was that it really conforms to the steering wheel. I can still feel the grip grooves (don't know what they are called) in the back of the steering wheel. I also noticed a little bump on the bottom because something was under there when I laced up. Since I already trimmed the lace, I can't undo to get whatever is under there out without some major hassel. :evil:

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Cool beans! Thanks Carol -- thats saves another $6 so far...

Interesting that the RAV4.1's steering wheel cover is a size down from the RAV4.2 & 4.3... I don't remember there being much of a difference between my '97 and '01...

Finger ribs/grips maybe...?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
(got prices and correct link)

Tony, I was off on everything (it's tough getting old :roll: ). I actually paid $28.99 + $5 S&H from Auto Accessory Store:

http://www.autoaccessorystore.com/home_

So total was less than I remembered, $33.99. The 2 tone is +$10 (same as the other site) and the Europerf is +$15 ($43.99). So the first link I posted (Automotive Interiors) has a better deal on the Europerf. I vaguely now remembered that the price differences weren't consistent from site-2-site.

BTW, I found the size chart on wheelskins listing the 2006 RAV. The measurements should be 14 1/2 X 3 7/8 or Size C.

http://www.wheelskins.com/size_chart.php?entry=sizes&manuf=Toyota

Hope you find a color you like.

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Thanks again Carol! And yeah, I found the Wheelskins sizes, with the RAV4.1 being AAAX or whatever odd designation they deemed it.

Don't forget their 5% "WINTER" instant rebate / coupon code! Don't think that'll cover the spread as far as pricing, but maybe it'll help someone else save a few bucks on their purchase. 8)

I got a laugh at their "free" AutoAccessoryStore.com decals... How can they say "free" when they're charging $2.50 and $4.75 for them?? :?

And no, I wasn't teasing you about the finger things... :D If I do in the future, should I warn you ahead of time? :wink:

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Oh, yeah, I actually got the swatches in the mail a quick few days or so after the request. I asked for black, charcoal, blue and grey -- also asked for a perforated sample and they gave me a perfed tan (it's not stamped with its color name like the others). The swatches are about the size of a business card and their cut somewhat resembles gift tags -- I was surprised how thick the leather was. Still kinda find it hard for any of the colors to match up with black -- maybe the two-tone thing just isn't for me. :?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How much lighter is the gray from the black? I'm glad I didn't go with the 2-tone and just went with black since it seems to blend in. At first glance, a couple of people didn't realize it was a cover.

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Hehe, shoulda known that was coming... the Grey is very light in my opinion... not a whole lot darker than my '01's leather interior. I also thought the Blue was very dark.

Photos with and without flash... tried to diffuse the flash shot to lessen the glare...

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, that charcoal is lighter than I expected. The blue is more apparent in the flash photo. The blue/charcoal combo might be good if there were other dark blues to match.

So does this mean you're passing on the cover?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Carol that flint mica is really nice, first time I have seen it on the new Rav. Almost wish I had ordered mine in that color. Instead of the classic silver. It really looks nice.......I wonder if it's too late.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
inlets said:
Carol that flint mica is really nice, first time I have seen it on the new RAV. Almost wish I had ordered mine in that color. Instead of the classic silver. It really looks nice.......I wonder if it's too late.
Thanks! You can always ask your dealer if it's possible to swap out. :D

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Ah, but then you would have to be prepared to change your trim level to a Sport and all that entails to your options list, because Flint Mica is available on no other animal... :wink:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts