Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

Just picked up a 2006 Rav4 with the 2GR-FE and 4x4. We got it from a family friend after a passing in their family. It has 96,000 miles on it. All the TSBs have been taken care of.

Only issues aside from a few scratches and dings are that there is a chirp in the pulley area. Original belt, possibly just replace it? Or an idler pulley?

Aside from that, is there anything I should look out for on this? Engine bay is immaculate, not a drop of fluid anywhere.

Hoping to keep it for another 100k miles!

Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
Transmission fluid, brake fluid, spark plugs; are recalls done?

Welcome and congrats on entering the V-6 club.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the carfax said there are five recalls open, so i will contact the dealer about that.

That chirp could be recall related?

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
Not that I'm aware of. Likely time to replace the belt & perhaps the idler pulley. Has the rear axle been serviced since it's all wheel drive? Has the water pump ever been replaced? Coolant? Dig for some service records if you can.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Water pump has not been replaced. Rear axle will need fluid change probably then

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
It appears you have a lot to do if you wish to keep this on the road for a long time. Again, welcome and let us help you.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
When you change the fluid in the rear axle make sure to check the breather cap...if this gets blocked it can cause axle seals to blow out..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies.

We'll be doing the water pump in the next few months.

Coolant was actually changed last year according to my friend. He has some receipts he forgot to give me. All previous work was done at Elmhurst Toyota in the Chicago area.

The plan is to spend a weekend doing the water pump, belt tensioner, idler pulley, and serpentine belt.

Spark plugs I will do this weekend, along with taking it in tomorrow for the six active recalls on it.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
...the carfax said there are five recalls open, so i will contact the dealer about that...
...All previous work was done at Elmhurst Toyota in the Chicago area...
If you haven't done so, go to Toyota.com/owners website and enter your VIN. You should be able to see the service history if done at a Toyota dealer, and the open recalls. You can also enter your own services if you feel like tracking them there. Good luck!

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
Why replace the coolant pump if it isn't causing any problems? Apparently nowhere near all of that year's V6 coolant pumps have failed, but they accumulated a poor reputation because a number of pumps actually have failed, more than ordinarily would fail statistically. Of course some owners do believe in changing them even if they haven't failed, as a matter of preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I understand that mentality, but with a brand new pump installed, I'd rather feel safe than sorry down the road. We won't be doing it right away, but in the next few months. I'd just like to get all of this knocked out to get it to 200k and then do it again :)

I've seen many posts about doing it in an afternoon. I've been around Toyotas a long time, but this is my first modern V6 engine. I'm more used to the VZ engines, and older stuff.

Hence why I keep around my 76 Celica GT!

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts
I agree on not changing the pump until necessary. Mine's at 125K and doing fine. What's the guarantee a new one won't fail before the old one would have?
On the belt chirp: Spray some water on it. If it quiets it for a few seconds it's the belt not any pulley or bearing.

Reactions: vanib

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dealer called back.

They said they hear a "growl" under the hood and the coolant res was pretty low, but nothing is leaking so they arent really sure.

I'm going to pay them the $50 to diagnose it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They said the water pump is just fine. Idler pulley is making noise. No leaks anywhere.

I didn't get a quote for them to change it as I had to go to work. Is there a write up on how to do the pulley?

He said it's 8/10ths of an hour to do it, so I can't imagine it being that long. I work slow, but if it means saving money, I'm all about that.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I did my serpentine belt a few weeks ago and pulled the pulleys just to look at them...very easy...I put the front wheels on ramps...then removed the plastic splash shield on the bottom...it goes from side to side...remove the right side (passenger) plastic inner fender/splash shield...then remove what they call a suspension member I think...it has 4 17 mm (I think) bolts...once those bolts come out that bar comes down and you have plenty of room to work...to remove the belt I put a 14mm (I think) box wrench on the bolt that holds the tensioner pulley on...that bolt is reverse threaded so you turn it counter clockwise and it will release the tension on the belt...you can then remove the idler puller...it was not reverse threaded...in some instructions I read they mentioned moving the coolant tank out of the way...I did not need to or do anything from the top...I would also replace the belt while you're in there....

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts
Also, on Rock Auto, what's the best pulley to get?
Unless you believe you get what you pay for (see my signature) do what I do, buy the least expensive one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just paid the dealer to do it. It was only $163 ish. It was there, so why not?

I've got a belt on it's way. I'll do that hopefully next weekend

1 - 19 of 19 Posts