Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hubby knows I want a new rav but in concerned with the changes and new body style brings new problems until the "kinks" get worked out. Any ideas on how I can convince him otherwise? :?

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Toyota is usually better than most other manfacturers in first year production. They have alot less first year production problems than say Hondas or Ford. During the first year of production, to make sure everything goes well, Toyota is building every RAV4 in Japan. After that, some will be made in Canada. That is one of the reason why I am buying a 1st year RAV4.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. All your information and smarts about all subjects make this forum a wonderful place. :D I am so glad we have this place to come to...

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
flyingn said:
Thats how it used to be.. n todays market car manufactures cannot afford to make first yeat mistakes. Especially Toyota who has an excellant reputation.. Tell him to relax and buy it:)
Ummm......you didnt read the 4.2 section with all the problems in 2001..........which continued through 2005.

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
Dan Dahl said:
Ummm......you didnt read the 4.2 section with all the problems in 2001..........which continued through 2005.
You mean the INFAMOUS dash rattle :roll: :evil: This was a VERY ANNOYING problem, as some had it... some didn't. Some that were fixed NEVER rattled again... while others were "fixed" and then rattled again within a few days :x

Though this was a VERY annoying problem.... I'd rate it in the MINOR catagory. Of course, this is easy for me to say, as I never owned a 4.2 :wink:

I think the MOST ANNOYING thing about the "4.2 dash rattle" was that TOYOTA was unable to come up with a fix that worked 100% of the time :(

Thank goodness NOTHING like this has shown up yet on the 4.3. The biggest design flaw I've seen listed is the lack of a "rear area cargo light" :(

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kelly Smith said:
Dan Dahl said:
You mean the INFAMOUS dash rattle :roll: :evil: This was a VERY ANNOYING problem, as some had it... some didn't. Some that were fixed NEVER rattled again... while others were "fixed" and then rattled again within a few days :x

Though this was a VERY annoying problem.... I'd rate it in the MINOR catagory. Of course, this is easy for me to say, as I never owned a 4.2 :wink:

I think the MOST ANNOYING thing about the "4.2 dash rattle" was that TOYOTA was unable to come up with a fix that worked 100% of the time :(

Thank goodness NOTHING like this has shown up yet on the 4.3. The biggest design flaw I've seen listed is the lack of a "rear area cargo light" :(
I've had my 4x4 Rav4 Sport V6 for a few days now. This is what I have noticed so far:

Upper glove box does not open properly sometimes
Guage cluster emits a buzzing sound sometimes
Very intermittent loose rattle from under dash on passenger side

The dealership tells me there is already a service bulletin on the glove box and I have not mentioned anything else yet.

I traded in my 2005 RSX-S for the RAV4 and let me tell you the dash rattles on the RSX are terrible! Not only that, the front suspension clunked. Neither problem could be properly fixed so I finally got rid of the car.

Rob

·
Registered
252 Posts
Our 2006 RAV has a dash rattle. It only occurs ocassionally. We notice it when we are driving to work and the vehicle interior is still warming up. I think it is related to cabin temp.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
seadragon said:
Our 2006 RAV has a dash rattle. It only occurs ocassionally. We notice it when we are driving to work and the vehicle interior is still warming up. (...)
My 2006 has something similar. It seems to come from the front passenger side and I've noticed it on very cold morning commutes on the highway. Haven't noticed it in warmer weather (of which there has been precious little here in Jersey these days).
On the other hand, a more serious problem I'm going to have looked into at the dealership is the fact that the remote latch for the left rear seat (the release that is in the cargo bay) doesn't seem to be working. Releasing it should make the rear seatback tumble forward. Using the latch on the seatback itself works fine, just not the remote release. The right one works, but not the left. Anyone else have a similar problem?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Middle rear seatbelt definitely not attached - I like how it retracts nicely into the ceiling, by the way - so hopefully this is something that can be fixed easily. The latch release moves but nothing happens with the seat. Unfortunate, since that is one of the "cooler" features of the '06 that sold me on it.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kelly Smith said:
Dan Dahl said:

Dont get me wrong Kelly, for the most part I liked our rav4. But at times the rattle was so annoying on the highway that even though the structure of the rav was very sound, the rattle kept screaming "cheap". In the end, this isnt why I traded. The need for more space was the reason.

I sincerely hope the new model doesn't have similar problems but from what I just read above my post, it looks like things are creeping up again. Hopefully these are easy AND permanent fixes so this site doesnt become what 4.2 was for quite a while with the annoyances.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My 4 week old RAV is going in this Thursday to get an air bag sensor replaced. The dash warning light comes on randomly every day. The dealer said that this is a very unusual problem. I hope that after the sensor is replaced, the problem is solved.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
vallesj said:
well, be happy of your rattle sounds... be angry if transmission, engine, starter, etc...
I hope you are kidding about that. for nearly 25G I dont expect rattles. :shock:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts