Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a very, very clean limited edition very light green 2008 Rav w/V6 that has 61000 miles. One owner, it's at a BMW dealer, and carfax is good, my mechanic approved, and KBB put it from my estimate around $13k. However, BMW has it at $14,700. This thing is in immaculate condition, sunroof, JBL, etc.
I checked out a few 2010's around the same price, maybe a tad more in mileage and they weren't kept up as nicely. Is the limited affecting the price that much?
Any advice on if that is still a good deal in 2016?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Being a limited greatly effects the price...I would never buy one myself...I don't like the auto climate controls or leather seats...I always change out stock stereos cause they generally suck...the limited runs on the same suspension as the base so no gain there...however it's all about what you value...I would buy a 2011 or 12 base model before a 2008 limited any day...

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I think you know it is more than it should be but the question is can you wait until you find one in the same condition down the road for less ?

Consider a 2009 and newer because there was a model refresh starting in 2009 so you do get a lot more for your money. They changed many things such as adding a backup camera, signal lights on side mirrors, new grill and LED tail lights, mpg display, etc.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I think you know it is more than it should be but the question is can you wait until you find one in the same condition down the road for less ?

Consider a 2009 and newer because there was a model refresh starting in 2009 so you do get a lot more for your money. They changed many things such as adding a backup camera, signal lights on side mirrors, new grill and LED tail lights, mpg display, etc.
I agree with this...although all 06-12 models have led taillights and the factory backup camera is a joke...I also like that they took the antenna off the front fender...

·
Super Moderator
11,100 Posts
Two or four wheel drive? Maintenance records? Have the MANY recalls all been done?

I'd say that is a typical dealer price and open to negotiation. Not all Limiteds have leather by the way, mine is cloth, no sunroof, no JBL, front wheel drive.

I just ran my '08 Limited through KBB as a private sale. It would be between $13,300 & $14,000. That's with 21,000 miles, no typo...twenty one thousand. Private sale and dealer lot are different prices but I'd say they have really marked it up. I'd be real surprised if they even had $10K total in it. By the way the JBL system is nothing to write home about.

I'd look for newer unless they will come way down in price. CUV's are hot, the Toyota brand name is hot, RAV4 V-6 is hot so they may not budge. If you like it then it's worth making an offer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice.. I could honestly care less about the limited extras, I've just been looking and this one popped up and like I said was nicer and maintained better than the two 2010's I had seen. I might have to keep looking if they don't budge.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
4 wheel drive btw, and car fax is clean, one owner, the car is at my mechanic currently having a lookover.
The dealer just gave me the "it wouldn't be here if it wasn't nice" line, and that BMW wouldn't have a nice "off brand" car if it wasn't perfect.

·
Registered
76 Posts
For what it's worth, I just bought an 08 Limited V6 FWD, loaded with every option except Nav and 113k miles, very clean for $9k. It was a credit union voluntary repo and was spotlessly clean. Carfax was exceptionally good with fully documented maintenance, regular oil changes. All it needed were two new tires. They basically took sealed bids for two weeks and I was the high bidder.

I'd encourage you to make keep looking and not pay more than retail. Maybe make them an offer of say $12k?

There are tons of nice Rav4's out there!

·
Registered
263 Posts
overpriced. I think the v6 is reliable enough that you don't really need to be concerned over high mileage

·
Registered
419 Posts
We bought a 2008 Limited, v6 / auto / leather heated seats & heated wipers / moonroof, JBL (crappy), 4x4, factory tow coolers, etc. and simply love it.
- a 55,000 mile cream puff, 2 owner private

I'm sure vehicle pricing is subject to availability & regions, but the good one are bringing 18,000 Cdn or $13.3K USA equiv. at the dealerships around here.
- not uncommon for big dealers to markup the KBB, a little
Almost expected around here, so it took me 6 months straight to find a Doctor's private car locally & saved approx $5,000.
- FWD models don't sell well & hold their value, in the snow belts BTW

I'd say, print off the KBB retail estimate & show the dealer (bargaining chip) / to begin bargaining in good faith.
- I found the perfect 2008, for our needs
- I wanted best depreciation, so a 2009-12 model was not worth the extra $$ when the right 2008 was finally found

Wife can easily put 100,000 added miles on our '08 RAV4, over next 4 years & I already have my brother waiting to buy it for his wife when we take over a family members new Lexus RX350, v6.
(so if you pay a grand too much, for right vehicle / trump change really, in the grand scheme of ownership - top vehicle maintenance history in pristine condition, is the icing on the cake)
- can't go wrong with a very clean RAV4, low mileage v6 Limited
- they practically sell themselves and usually command a premium used price

Our 2008 private purchase came with new rear brake shoes (for safety) & i installed Firestone L2e tires the next day.
- 15,000 miles later & only 2 synthetic oil changes / now that is cheap-trouble free driving
- best of all, with the Michelin winter tires installed (came with vehicle), RAV4 was a tank in the snow, this winter / unlike the Volvo v70 FWD wagon, we replaced...traction night & day difference

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well..

I bought it. I don't see many in this area of New England this clean, and my mechanic also didn't think I'd luck out with one in such good shape, new brakes, new tires, and under the hood it looks like you could eat off of.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Well done waderck - it always pays to buy quality, for many years of enjoyment.
- I just bought a mint 2000 4Runner SR5 from a dealer friend, with only 80,000 original miles
- his used price was firm and I gladly paid the price
- will be my keeper, for 15 added years / wife has the v6-RAV4, that's her baby

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rav

nice ! Thanks.
Now I'm just trying to see if the TSB for the transaxle is an issue as I'm hearing that whine.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Congrats! The tranny whine is well documented here. Mine does it too but at 8 years old and out of warranty, what help could we expect from Toyota?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts