Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took delivery on a 2016 Rav4 XLE hybrid 3 weeks ago and actually found this great community for rav4 drivers. I was originally aiming for a camry hybrid but after test driving the rav4, i got hooked. This is my second hybrid in addition to my gen3 prius. Ive been a member of priuschat and like talking to people with similar interest. From the moment i purchased the prius i've been hooked on hybrids. Im in no way a tree hugger as i drive my car the way its supposed to be driven. I do from time to time do some "modified"" hypermiling techniques. I guess im what you call economical. I like paying less for a gas while driving more miles. I dont drive slow and usually adjust my pace w/ other vehicles or even drive fast when i have the Waze app running.

I learned to adapt to this type of driving though as i noticed when i drove my parent's highlander XLE gas. I found that years of driving hybrids changes the way you drive. I often coast and sometimes try to pulse and glide when i take the highlander only to realize that it returns minimal at best.

Well enough of the other cars and on to the Rav4 hybrid. I guess its best to compare my observations vs the gen 3 prius.

1. Like the prius, the rav 4 gets better mileage when you do moderate acceleration then start letting go of the pedal somewhere past the eco bar once you have reached the desired speed.

2. The rav4 pedal sensitivity in eco mode is close to the normal pedal sensitivity of the prius. The Rav4's normal mode is akin to driving in power mode to the prius. I often switch from the two and felt that pulse and glide was so very difficult to achieve in the normal mode as comapred to eco.

3. I like the prius's in dash pedal assist screen as compared to the gauge like indicator of the rav 4.

4. The sweet spot for gliding is so hard to achieve. you may need to take off your shoes and use your toes to push the pedal. NEver tried it and never will. LOL I found that the needle just after the charge line is sufficient.

5. I was puzzled by the regen sound coming from the rear passenger side but then realized the rear motor was also generating power.

6. Im not a fan of that horrible sounding pedestrian alert sound. The electric motors already give a faint whine like sound but it gets washed out by the sound of a spinning rusted out bearing. Absolutely HATE it. I was worried at first when i heard this sound when i entered the garage. I read the manual and after a couple more trials concluded that it the alert. Also, this sound is perceptible the minute the EV light in the dash illuminates signaling the use of the electric motor only.

7. The interior is 100% quieter than the prius but is not as quiet as the camry hybrid i test drove.

8. I love the speed and power of this as compared to the prius. I find myself driving this car more everyday,

9. Like the prius, using EV or running down the battery in a controlled EV only states lowers MPG's more than just driving it moderately and allowing the computers to do its job. Some people disagree but Im not going to drive like grandma down the road just to prove they're right.

Well that's all i have observed. I have been lingering around this site for a while now and some of these observations have been mentioned in other threads. I guess the only question in my mind now is how this car will fare in snow as i live in the northeast.

Happy motoring.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Welcome from Pennsylvania

Reactions: docjpv

·
Registered
229 Posts
Welcome! I drive into NJ everyday. I think the RAV4 will handle Jersey traffic and snow very well which is the reason we added to our RAV4 family. I personally love when the engine turns off while sitting in traffic and the RAV handles the stop and go stuff with battery only. Will have to wait for winter to do a comparison driving in snow, but if the new RAV comes anywhere close to the previous generation, thats good enough for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...I personally love when the engine turns off while sitting in traffic and the RAV handles the stop and go stuff with battery only. Will have to wait for winter to do a comparison driving in snow, but if the new RAV comes anywhere close to the previous generation, thats good enough for me.
hey neighbors.!!

I've gone so used to this feature that i often wait for the engine to shut off when parked or when in a stop light.

As far as snow, im hoping that this will do better than the highlander hybrid because it weighs less. This car replaced a Sequoia which was a tank during snowstorms. Im not expecting a real 4x4 driving experience but just enough to get home on barely plowed roads. I figured id just buy snow tires if i feel the traction is lacking whenever i get the chance to drive in snow

1 - 4 of 4 Posts