Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a UK 98 RAV4 Max, without a handbook. On the dash is a switch that looks like a diff switch. (4 connected wheels). As I thought all RAV4's were AWD, whats the switch for? Locking the diff? Or to switch between 2WD and 4WD? An alarm sounds if you are driving and push the switch.
Also, what does the MAX version have that other versions don't?
(Maybe it's this switch!)
Hope someone can help!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As I thought all RAV4's were AWD, whats the switch for? Locking the diff? Or to switch between 2WD and 4WD? An alarm sounds if you are driving and push the switch.
RAV4 can be 2 wheel drive (front). But yours is 4wd, since you have the button. Indeed, it's the center differential lock. You must be stopped to engage this. (Perhaps in "park" on an automatic, but I don't know, since I have manual.) I don't know about the MAX version.
Todd

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The button you see belongs to the 4WD version only. Doesn't matter if it's a manual or Auto. It's purpose is to lock the front wheels like an LSD(limisted slip differential). This is useful when you got stuck in the sand or something.

Never use this button on regular driving or high speeds. It uses the extra oil pump near the viscous cuppling gearbox to lock the gears in place. Treat it as a get out of jail button.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Actually, only manual transmission RAVs have the centre differential lock button on the dash. If it's an automatic, the centre diff locks up automatically.

The button locks the front and rear axles together (similar to a "part-time" 4WD system) for increased traction. However, if you drive on a dry high-traction surface, you'll get binding in the axles because a locked-up diff means the wheels can't turn at different speeds the way they have to when you turn. This could damage the drive system.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi,
I bought a 96 rav4 2dr automatic transmission without handbook.
How do i understand whether or not its awd.. :shock:
if its awd, does it normally run 2wd (front), and when does it go to awd?

thanks

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
ob1907 said:
hi,
I bought a 96 RAV4 2dr automatic transmission without handbook.
How do i understand whether or not its awd.. :shock:
if its awd, does it normally run 2wd (front), and when does it go to awd?

thanks
Welcome to the forums ob1907 :D

For a quick check to see whether you have 4WD on your RAV; just look at the bottom rear. If you see a rear differential you got 4WD, if not then it is the FWD RAV. How it operates, may be answered by someone else who has 4WD on their RAVs. My RAV probably goes 0% offroad. :lol:

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Derek's album actually has a good picture ("HKS sport muffler") that shows what the rear axle looks like if you DON'T have AWD. His custom exhaust is routed through the hole where the rear differential would be if it was an AWD.

The AWD system sends power to the rear full-time -- it's not a reactive system that's in FWD some of the time.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you all, i checked mine, compared with your photo and decided its an AWD.

i'm so happy :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts